QLD - Cania Gorge Tourist Retreat

QLD - Cania Gorge Tourist Retreat

Postby Troyk » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:12 pm

Cania Gorge is approx 500km north of Brisbane and to the south west of Gladstone. The nearest town is Monto about 20km away.

We visited there April 2006. Perhaps not as spectacular as Carnarvon Gorge but still worth visiting. You probably need about 3 days to do the walks. The Overhang and Dragon Cave being the best.

Cania Gorge is also good base if you want to visit Kroombit Tops to the north.

We stayed at Cania Gorge Tourist Retreat which we found to be quite good, showers, toilets, pool, kiosk and a laundry (remember you need coins). They also have birdfeeding in the afternoons. The park is near the entrance to Cania Gorge National Park. The park was well set out and didn’t feel crowded for a busy time. They aren’t many powered sites so you will need to book early.

Webpage http://www.caniagorgeretreat.com.au/

The park has new owners since our visit.

There is another park near Cania Dam, called Cania Gorge Caravan and Tourist Park. Webpage http://www.caniagorge.com.au/index.asp

Photos around Cania Gorge Tourist Retreat (taken April 2006)

Communal Fire Pit (Cooking a Roast in the Camp Oven)

Big Foot

Shamrock Mine

Dragon Cave

Along the way to the Overhang

Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Re: QLD - Cania Gorge Tourist Retreat

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:33 pm

Troyk wrote:Cania Gorge is approx 500km north of Brisbane and to the south west of Gladstone. The nearest town is Monto about 20km away.

We visited there April 2006. Perhaps not as spectacular as Carnarvon Gorge but still worth visiting. You probably need about 3 days to do the walks. The Overhang and Dragon Cave being the best.

Cania Gorge is also good base if you want to visit Kroombit Tops to the north.

We stayed at Cania Gorge Tourist Retreat which we found to be quite good, showers, toilets, pool, kiosk and a laundry (remember you need coins). They also have birdfeeding in the afternoons. The park is near the entrance to Cania Gorge National Park. The park was well set out and didn’t feel crowded for a busy time. They aren’t many powered sites so you will need to book early.

Webpage http://www.caniagorgeretreat.com.au/

The park has new owners since our visit.

We have been there since the new owners took over (xmas 2006) and it definitely went down hill. All reports prior to them taking over were always good but not so after. Maybe they have lifted their game a bit since then, it would be a pity if not.

The toilets were not serviced as per the advice posted, they were often out of toilet paper and in need of sweeping. The grass was not cut and there were huge patches of bindi outside the amenities block.

We could not get to use the laundry as the owners had the machines etc constantly in use with laundry from the cabins.

Overall it was not a good experience and we will not go back.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby kazzakanary » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:05 pm

I think the owners are a dutch couple???
I rang them this week to see how much rain they had had
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:23 pm

kazzakanary wrote:I think the owners are a dutch couple???
I rang them this week to see how much rain they had had

They are Karen, from the Netherlands if memory serves me correctly. And like I said they may have lifted their game a bit, one can only hope.

I was very disappointed as I had friends who had been there the xmas before and they had raved about the place.

I have another lot a friends who went to the other CP, the Big 4 recently and they told me how great it was but Big 4 CPs are not pet friendly so that puts me out immediately.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby will_deness » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:52 am

We have stayed in the big 4 just a few ks up the road a number of times which we found great. Bird feeding movie nights(it was easter). Approx 40ks up in the mountains on a easy 4wd track is a ww2 bomber that crashed during the war, but it was found only a decade or so ago. Awesome spot, all the wreckage is still there strewn up the side of a hill.Just make sure you dont take any momentos, in fact it's better not even touching anything.I would hate to see that site closed off forever because people can't respect a gravesite.
:edit. I might have some pics on a cd somewhere that I'll post. If it was after the great pc crash of 2005.
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:04 am

will_deness wrote:We have stayed in the big 4 just a few ks up the road a number of times which we found great. Bird feeding movie nights(it was easter). Approx 40ks up in the mountains on a easy 4wd track is a ww2 bomber that crashed during the war, but it was found only a decade or so ago. Awesome spot, all the wreckage is still there strewn up the side of a hill.Just make sure you dont take any momentos, in fact it's better not even touching anything.I would hate to see that site closed off forever because people can't respect a gravesite.
:edit. I might have some pics on a cd somewhere that I'll post. If it was after the great pc crash of 2005.

Will look forward to seeing them Will.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby kazzakanary » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:07 am

We actually thought it was a tad expensive too - it worked out to be around $35 per night for the 5 of us so a week away would be mega $$ when you are only camping!
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:50 am

kazzakanary wrote:We actually thought it was a tad expensive too - it worked out to be around $35 per night for the 5 of us so a week away would be mega $$ when you are only camping!

I actually heard others say that when we were there as well. With just 2 of us it is not an issue but then they may have also put the price up since then too. Having extra bodies always makes a difference cost wise.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby will_deness » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:40 pm

I found easter 2004. Couldn't find 2005 :( which were better.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22642408@N05/
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:55 pm

will_deness wrote:I found easter 2004. Couldn't find 2005 :( which were better.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22642408@N05/

Looking good...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Troyk » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:48 pm

Will, Good photos. It says alot for the quality of the materials they used.

Didn't get there last time as we didn't have a 4wd at the time, but definitely netx time. What is the track like getting there?

I understand being a war grave the americans expect you to be silent the whole time you are there.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby mystical_aussiegal » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:00 am

I guess after doing mainly bush camping, it was an insight to a caravan park as such.

We were there in winter and literally froze, the next day we went to the nearest town (cant remember the name of it) went to St Vinnies and brought all their blankets.

However, in saying that, there is much to see in that area and the marsupial (again, I cant remember the name of it) that came out at night was very friendly and used to humans.

Wood was scarce and we huddled around this tiny fire to try and keep warm. When we woke up in the morn everything was frozen, I wasnt used to that at the time being a Qlder but have spent 5 yrs in Vic and very used to it now!!!

I would recommend it to do the sites in the area but not in winter if you feel the cold.

We went onto Blackdown Tablelands from there and it was a great place to camp but did drive heaps of k's (cant remember how many) to buy sub zero sleeping bags. Inland Qld does get very cold in winter!!!
I absolutely love downunder and want to see all of it, especially the outback
mystical_aussiegal
Captain Camping

Postby will_deness » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:17 am

Troyk wrote:Will, Good photos. It says alot for the quality of the materials they used.

Didn't get there last time as we didn't have a 4wd at the time, but definitely netx time. What is the track like getting there?

I understand being a war grave the americans expect you to be silent the whole time you are there.

Easy 4wd,I wouldn't take a normal car.In the wreckage is a alloy sprocket as shiny as the day it was made.It does have a feel of a special place, almost sacred if that's the best way to describe it. That place would make it in one of the top five places I have ever been to.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Queensland