NSW - Iluka/Woody Point

NSW - Iluka/Woody Point

Postby amanda » Tue May 13, 2008 9:51 am

I recently spent the weekend at Iluka, staying at the Anchorage Holiday Park. The park is extremely well run, and nothing is too much trouble for the managers. It is right on the Clarence River, so would suit those who like to fish. The park facilities include a playground, swimming pool, spa and a very clean and impressive camp kitchen. The unpowered camping area was almost empty, though I imagine in summer it would get fairly busy. A very pleasant place to stay - though probably more suitable to those families who like to have all the facilities at hand.

The BBQ's in the camp kitchen:

Microwave, toaster, jug etc. in camp kitchen:

Sorry about the size of the photo's - I'm having problems with them this morning. I have another review to write up, so I'll try to correct the problem by then!

The pool area:

We also went for a drive to Woody Point Camp Grounds while we were in the area. The scenery at Woody Point is absoulutely beautiful. There is a large grassed day picnic area with wood BBQ's and tables and chairs. The camp sites themsleves were very small and the tents looked like they were sitting right on top of one another - far too over crowded for my liking, which is a huge pity because the location itself is magnificent. As it was only a Queensland long weekend, I'd hate to see it over a national long weekend. Here are some photos of the beautiful beaches there:

It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Re: Iluka/Woody Point

Postby GypsyLady » Tue May 13, 2008 3:59 pm

Looks very nice Amanda, thanks for the pics and comments.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Wilko » Wed May 14, 2008 8:32 am

Good one Amanda

The family and I like to stay at Woody Heads a few weeks a year. It does get busy on long weekends but on off peak times you struggle to see another camp. We were there a few weeks ago and it was deserted until the Qld long weekend.

It is a fantastic spot, however work is desperately needed on the sites to improve drainage. We had three days of constant rain and the sites were under water. I believe this work was starting after Qld long weekend.
Wilko
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Wed May 14, 2008 8:35 am

I have friends from Sydney who have holidayed at Iluka for many years and always rave about the place. It seems a very popular little town.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby amanda » Wed May 14, 2008 8:40 am

Wilko wrote:The family and I like to stay at Woody Heads a few weeks a year. It does get busy on long weekends but on off peak times you struggle to see another camp. We were there a few weeks ago and it was deserted until the Qld long weekend.

If that's the case then I might give it a go during a quiet time of the year, as it truly is a beautiful place.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Wilko » Wed May 14, 2008 9:59 am

usually the week after school holidays suits us as we turn up on the sunday when everyone is leaving. Our little group virtually had the grounds to our selves.

the only negative is that i think the site fees are a bit expensive for what you get. I think about 20 bucks a day. no power, pay for hot showers (20c for 2 min). although this will not stop me from going. As a comparison, when we go to Fraser Island we stay at cathedral beach. although it doesnt have power it does have a great camp kitchen, and free showers for 19 a night.

great spot though
Wilko
Boy Scout

Return to NSW