NSW - Mungo Brush, Myall Lakes National Park

NSW - Mungo Brush, Myall Lakes National Park

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:42 pm

Mungo Brush, part of the Myall Lakes NP is about 3 to 3 and ½ hrs drive north of Sydney, and just under an hour from Newcastle. This is truly an amazing piece of coastline, with lakes on one side of the road and the ocean with its dunes on the other. There are over 80 National Park run campsites among various camping grounds along this 40km stretch, and one privately run Caravan and Camping park at the Hawks Nest end of Mungo Brush Rd. Each are unique in their own way, with some backing onto the lakes, others surrounded by bush, and my favourite (Banksia Green), right at the foot of the dunes, with a 200m walk over sand to the ocean. Four-wheel-drive’s are able to access, and drive along much of this immense beach which really does look like something out of a tropical islands travel brochure. Crystal blue water, an abundance of shells and amazing rock pools are just some this beach’s attractions.

If you awaken early enough, there’s a good chance you’ll get to see Dolphins skirting the coastline in search of food. But don’t stress too much if you sleep in and miss them, as they can often be found in the Hawks Nest Bay later in the day! Of course, this depends on the time of year you visit. There’s also likely to be a few Goannas prowling around, so keep esky lids on tight. And at night time you might even see some possums. I was once lucky enough to hand feed a mother and its baby some rockmelon, definitely an enjoyable memory to see a wild animal that has not yet felt a reason to be scared of humans. (If you go there, please don’t give it one ;) ).

If, by some chance you actually grow tired of the beach, or need a place to wash off that salty feeling from the ocean, just drive ‘down the road’ and you’ll be at one of many access points to the lake, which for the most part is very shallow and safe to swim in. The tea-trees along the bank give it its yellow colouring, NOT something more sinister :mrgreen: . In one of these camp grounds, which double as access to the lakes, you’ll find garbage bins, and a few bushwalks through the rainforest. All grounds have toilet facilities and bore water, which is only suitable for washing up.

If you plan on driving your 4WD on the beach, please contact NPWS beforehand as there are some areas that are ‘off limits’ to vehicles, and they are not always adequately signposted. It’s also a good idea to take two or more vehicles, and at least basic recovery equipment.

Camping in the National Park costs $5 per night for adults and $3 for children. An additional fee for each vehicle is charged, up to $22 for a yearly pass.

You can find out more about this NP from the NPWS website - http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/par ... 26&Type=Xo
Last edited by Ozzycamperboy on Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:45 pm

PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Cheiffy » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:54 am

Looks like a pretty sweet place Ozzy. Next time I am heading down that way I may pull over and take a look. I have driven the coast road to Sydney more times that I care about and I cannot believe that I never actually pulled over and taken the time to check these places out.

Might try and get down there before Christmas I think. Thanks for the report and pics.

Cheiffy
Please sir, Can I have some more? Time off that is.

"Hard at it"
Fruit Bat Falls, Cape York
Cheiffy
Captain Camping

Postby sketchy » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:09 am

Thanks for that man. Really nice little write up. It seems like a good idea to do little write ups on spots, I'll have to try to get around to that later.
sketchy

Postby Woodsy » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:28 pm

We made it back in 1 piece!

The Mungo Brush camp site is 25km from the Mungo Brush Road Turn off.

Arrived on the 17th November 2006 at around 12:30 at Mungo Brush with only 1 other couple camping in the same area we were. Within the day more people came and camped in the spots beside us but they were friendly enough to ask us if the spot was taken by anyone joining us. Took us around an hour to have everything fully setup.
The view from the camp site was great as you can see!
The bird's do come quite close to you. While cooking breakfast a Kookaburra came and landed basically at my feet.

Toilet facilities are scattered around the sites but i would not recomend using the "main" toilets as they are quite dirty but the others around the sites are very clean. Also they are not lit up at all so a good torch is on the cards.

Flies and mozzies were kept at bay at our site with citronella lamps and we really did'nt have any problems with them. Although Spiders seemed to like my car.

The lake as ozzycamperboy said is yellow although we did'nt swim in it plenty of kids did and the water was very clean.

The Beach which is a short 10 minutes walk away was Beautiful. White sand and crystal clear water. Getting there when the sun came up made for some great photos to. Although on our last day we were warned not to go swimming as sharks had been seen close to shore.
Overall Mungo Brush is a top campsite with caravan and tent areas some more private than others and my gf and i would highly recommend taking a trip there. :armsup

We give it :booty :booty :booty :booty Wiggly Bums out of 5.
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:00 pm

:armsup Glad you enjoyed it :armsup

love the sunrise pic, and :*** at your ratings system :mrgreen:
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Nenie23 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:36 pm

Wow - Mungo is still as beautiful as I remember it. My first trip to Mungo Brush was many years ago when I was 18 months old - 30 years ago.. But back then, the road from Tea Gardens/Hawkes Nest to Mungo was dirt and single lane with hundres of pot holes. It used to take us 45 minutes plus to get from the golf course to the main camp site at Mungo, where Tuffs pictures were taken. How times have changes.

Isn't it funny as we now take our children there. As everyone above has said, it is still a beautiful place to visit and camp.

Well done guys for introducing it to many others.

Nene
Be happy - take the family camping.
Nenie23
Captain Camping

Postby Woodsy » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:19 pm

We will go back there but are going to try a different camping spot next time there area plenty of sites scattered along the road.

Cheers

Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby CCC » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:16 pm

Sounds awesome .... think we might go and check this one out :armsup
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: NSW - Mungo Brush, Myall Lakes National Park

Postby newbie camper » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:50 pm

Hello all, sorry to bring back to life an old thread. But this place is truely spectacular. We haven't been in Australia for many months but have camped here 3 times already - it is wonderful. We are a fairly young couple with no children but often go with friends who do have children, so the proximity to the beach is one of this sites' biggest selling points.

But my dilema lies here..... we need a new location! We are based in Newcastle so anywhere within an hour or two's drive would be great. What we are looking for is something identical to Mungo's offerings but something a little different. Shower's are not a must but would be prefered by one of the families (lightweights!) I know there are several camp sites along the Mungo Brush road but are any as good as this one with the beach over the dune?

I must now go introduce myself on the intro board - tend to get a little carried away. Great job on this forum by the way. Great insights and information x
newbie camper

Postby mo » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:41 pm

There is also The River camp which is the first camp you will come to if you are coming from hawks nest. $15 a night per car. Rubbish bins and drop composting toilets(don't smell too bad)but no showers.
River frontage lots of shade trees and grassed areas to camp and you can almost take up as much space as you like.
Camping Makes Great Memories!
mo
Boy Scout

Re:

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:57 pm

Ozzycamperboy wrote:Click on these links for pictures, they are too big to post here, and i'm not resizing them, then uploading them, and then posting them again, i'm much to lazy for all that :lol:

Fabulous pics Ozzy..
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby freerocketman1 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:30 pm

yes ozzy well done :+ :+ :+
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby maureenanddesmond » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:43 pm

Thanks for the info on Myall Lakes. We've also been past but not stopped there previously. Will definitley give it a go. Maureen
maureenanddesmond

Postby talkingtree » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:43 pm

sounds like a nice place!
talkingtree
Camping King

Next

Return to NSW