The Coastal Trail - Royal National Park, NSW (Non-camping)

The Coastal Trail - Royal National Park, NSW (Non-camping)

Postby bockstar » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:30 pm

Evening all

A friend and I hiked the Coastal Trail from Otford to Bundeena the other Saturday. The Trail is 26kms long and takes in some spectacular scenery. The hike takes in varied array of vegetation types from semi-tropical rainforest to beach to rocky outcrops.

We did it from south to north in order to have a celebratory beer from the bottle-o in Bundeena. 26kms was long way in one day but we did it in around 9 hours with an estimated 7.5 hours of walking. We had to do it one day due to a little mix up in the booking of a campsite. Ie, we hadn't booked it in time. So therefore what intended on being an overnight camping trip ended up being a one day hike. Anyway, here's some photos;

Garie Beach

That's my hand

From the NPWS website;

The Coast Track
This is a long walk that hugs the park's coastline, taking you along the cliffs, beaches and escarpments from Bundeena to Otford. It offers variable terrain and magnificent views. The walk may be done in sections or, for the energetic, as a two-day backpack trip with an overnight stop at North Era. If you're planning to do this, it's essential to get a bush camping permit in advance. There is a YHA hostel at Garie.

Plant communities: dry eucalypt forests, grassy woodlands, heathlands
Challenge C/T - Offroad, Softfloor camper
Tool box, Water Tank, Gas Bottle, Kitchen on tailgate, 10Ft Tent
bockstar
Captain Camping

Re: The Coastal Trail - Royal National Park, NSW (Non-camping)

Postby Derek Bullock » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:33 pm

Back in the late 60's early 70's I knew blokes who used to go over those cliffs on rope ladders to go fishing.. Crazy people.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby bockstar » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:01 pm

Derek wrote:Back in the late 60's early 70's I knew blokes who used to go over those cliffs on rope ladders to go fishing.. Crazy people.

Whoa!! It's a long way down.....
Challenge C/T - Offroad, Softfloor camper
Tool box, Water Tank, Gas Bottle, Kitchen on tailgate, 10Ft Tent
bockstar
Captain Camping

Postby CampGrrlz » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:17 pm

Thank you for the report and the photos :grin:

I'd read about that walk just recently in a Camping mag (Go Camping?) anyway, first I had heard of it. Since I grew up around that area, I found it very interesting. We frequented the RNP since it was close to home and one part of it - the 'deer park' was opposite our place at Gymea Bay (on the Port Hacking River).

Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Return to NSW