Burren Junction

Burren Junction

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:32 pm

I recently traveled to and camped in the free campground at Burren Juction. They have a lovely hot artesian pool there which is very popular with the gray nomads during the winter months.

There has been some upgrading of the bore baths in recent times and I suspect there will come a time when a fee will be charged to visit and or camp. At this point there is free camping and entry to the bore baths. There is also a toilet block and cold showers.

This hot bore bath was sunk in 1921 and has water supplied from the sub artesian basin approx 1 klm below. The pool apparently holds some 300,000 litres of warm water with temps between 35 and 40 degrees.

With the evenings cool, the thermal pool is very welcoming and the water in reportedly very therapeutic and yes I did end up with less aches and pains for a while.....

It is absolutely fabulous out here……..virtually nothing for klms around; a lovely open black velvet sky with millions of stars and the glow of the small settlement of Burren Junction some 3 klms away.

This is outback camping….any vehicles coming down the road can be seen for klms…..headlights seem to take forever to reach here.

There are 2 others here a caravan and a ute....pure bliss.

Burren Junction is between Walgett and Narrabri and south west of Lightning Ridge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Re: Burren Junction

Postby Poodle Jewel » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:08 pm

I have been to Burren many times as my brother lived out that way for 25 years,they had to do it up as the coloured locals often went out there and trashed the place as well as using it for a toilet.The photos look good.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Re: Burren Junction

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:02 pm

So has doing it up PJ changed things in that regard PJ??
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to NSW