VIC - Seaspray Caravan Park

VIC - Seaspray Caravan Park

Postby Mark B » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:11 am

We have just returned from spending 4 nights at Seaspray Caravan Park, in Seaspray, Victoria.

We camped on an unpowered site and were charged $40 a night for 2 adults and 3 children (youngest two were free). The park was absolutely packed, which of course took away from the relaxing weekend away part, however, being Easter, we were fully aware that this would be the case.

The park sits just behind the sand dunes about a 50m walk to the beach. The park office provides very basic items, such as ice and cold drinks and a gas bottle exchange program. They also have waste dump facilities for motor homes/vans at the site office. The managers appeared friendly and receptive.

The park is split into two main areas - caravans and camping, each serviced by their own amenities blocks. The amenities blocks provided toilets and showers and laundry facilities. Inside the laundry area there is a small fridge, kettle and toaster for the use of campers. Washing Machines are 4 x $1 coins, as are the dryers. Showers cost 20c per 4 minutes. Amenities blocks are secured and campers must be in possession of a proximity card to gain access. Proximity cards are given to campers on check in and a surety of $20 is taken in the form of a credit card pre-authorisation. Only 1 card is given per site. So for a stay of decent length, pack plenty of coins for amenities use. I found the requirement to pay for showers a bit of a pain considering we were paying $40 a night for an unpowered site.

Just across the road from the camping area there is a local general store, which provides everything from newspapers, gas bottles, firewood through to alcohol and fish n chips. They also stock plenty of ice for campers. We ordered fish and chips for Good Friday and were very happy with the service and quality of food provided. Servings were very large. Expect to pay for products (outside the fish n chips) in the general store, as you could expect from a remote town. There is also a surf club at the top of the sand dunes, about 50m from the camp grounds which appeared to open nightly and serve meals and drinks. We did not venture up there and can't comment on the facilities.

The beach is just the other side of the dunes and is patrolled by the local lifesaving club.

Sites for camping are 9m x 6m and are generally flat grassed sites, bounded by either short grass cutting or white posts. Powered sites seemed slightly larger and are grouped in 4 sites per power box. Campers are allowed 1 power lead per powered site. Camp fires are allowed, but only in raised fire pits, with some form of protection under the bottom of the pit so as not to burn the grass.

Overall we had a pleasant weekend, however, compared to some of the other places in Victoria that I have camped unpowered, with facilities, I felt this place was a touch expensive.

Unless you have mobile service from Telstra or Optus, you will not get coverage in Seaspray. A wireless internet service is provided by the park office, however I am not sure what the fee was.

As an aside, whilst down there we were introduced by a friend to a local. This introduction provided us with a little insight into the park and its occupants. Apparently, a lot of the permanent site occupants were packing up and moving due to a couple of issues recently experienced. One is that the the owners are moving the van sites across the road into a new property, and the van owners are not happy with it. Fair enough and each to their own. The next problem that the permanent site people were disgruntled about was that the owners of the park were not allowing owners to allow family and friends to use their vans on permanent sites. Not sure what the idea behind this was, but from what the local told me, van owners were talking with their feet and moving elsewhere

Local General Store

Grassed unpowered site

Amenities block

Our setup on the 9m x 6m site

The nearby beach

Fishing jetty

Surf Club

Overall, we had a great Easter weekend away, however, I think that I will probably look elsewhere in future. This was the first time we have camped in a park setup like this (caravan park setup) and we are not big fans. We would rather the serenity of bush camping (with or without facilities) rather than the packed in caravan parks.
Mark B
Boy Scout

Re: VIC - Seaspray Caravan Park

Postby Lockyer » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:40 am

Great report Mark

Mate I could smell the seaspray....top photo's too :+

I don't think any camping ground or van park wouldn't have been crowded at Easter, with our population growing all the time and with some van parks closing, places to camp(at Easter) are only going to get more crowded. I use to be a member of a local fishing club up here west of Brisbane that had a lease on some land overlooking Wivenhoe Dam, to get to the club grounds you had to go to the end of a road and then turn right (which most people didn't know was there) and follow that road(over grown with grass on the edge's)to it's end and there were the club grounds.

Well one Easter the club allowed members to camp out there and only 3 groups took up the offer and that long weekend we got sick and tired of the cars/caravans/camper trailers owners jumping the fence asking if they could camp there as all the other camp grounds around the dam/s were full and we had to tell them sorry club members only - one guy offered us $200 to let him and his family stay by the president use to come and check up on the ground every evening to see no-one was playing up.

Mate now is the time to start thinking about where to camp next Easter because everyone else already are...

Cheers
Lawrence
You don't have to live forever.....you just have to live.
Lockyer
Camping Veteran

Postby Mark B » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:50 pm

Yeah agree completely on the busy periods. We are booked in for the long weekend at a place that considers 100 people sharing a space of the size of about 6 sports fields booked out so that should be a little quieter. If we are still around here next Easter that will more than likely be our destination too.
Much quieter.
Mark B
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:05 am

GREAT report and pics Mark...thank you for sharing them.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Victoria