Vic - Coopers Creek Receration Reserve, Walhalla

Vic - Coopers Creek Receration Reserve, Walhalla

Postby mouth » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:29 pm

Just before Walhalla (approx. 3 hrs NE of Melb, in the hills above Moe/Morwell) is Coopers Creek Reserve for camping.

Off the main Rd to Walhalla, it's signposted and about 3km of dirt rd to the camping area. The rd is suitable for trailers and small caravans/motorhomes. There's 2 camping area's approx 50mtr apart, each one holding about 12-15 tent 'sites'. The Thompson River runs alongside it, so it's perfect for swimming and obtaining drinking water.

Lots of talls tree's and ferns are about, with most sites shaded for at least 80% of the day. The other sites for probably 65% of the day. There's is only a small amount of structure to each camp area, so it's easy to get multiple tents together for a group or family. Most/all camp sites have firepits from previous visitors. As with most campgrounds, firewood in the immediate area is limited to mostly ground kindling, or use a axe/chainsaw on some fallen tree's. Best to bring your own firewood.

The river is terrific, with a few bankside area's having a shallow rock base for the kids to paddle and splash in. Bring your lilo or boogie board for a short float downriver. It's about 5 mtrs across and gets deeper as you step out from the shallow rockbase.

We went last weekend, and it was about ½ full, with many of those ½ having long term setups having stayed since Xmas/New Year. There was evidence of it being popular with the 4x4 and dirt bike 'crowd', but according to the 'locals' (long term'ers) that I chatted with they are quiet and respectful of others, especially around popular times.

A great spot that I've added to our small list of campsites that we'd be happy to return over and over :)

http://www.toiletmap.gov.au/browse.aspx ... 8d52257444
and
http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1park_dis ... m?park=232
mouth
Boy Scout

Re: Vic - Coopers Creek Receration Reserve, Walhalla

Postby Bradd » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:44 pm

Thanks for the report, I have put it on my "to check out list".
I have come accross it on the vic parks site but it doesn't give much info
and no map or photo/s.
I don't suppose you took any photos ?
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby mouth » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:28 pm

Bradd wrote:I don't suppose you took any photos ?

Yup, I will upload them tonight.
mouth
Boy Scout

Postby Bradd » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:03 pm

Don't suppose you ever found those photos ?
Or someone else ?

I am heading up there at the end of March.
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby lilleesa » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:22 pm

Coopers Creek is a great but busy campsite, that at times can be overtaken by ignorant campers.
As mentioned in the first post, everything is correct!
The valley itself has a lot of history and some that is very interesting to note.
Firstly Grollo, who is the founding member of Grollo constructions......his family's history traces back to this valley and campsite.
If you have a four wheel drive, you can cross the river in low conditions, and at the rocky outcrop that has been made in many ways in the last camp section. Across the river, is the old mining equipment, sites that were used to mine copper in the area. Hence the name of the Copper Mine hotel that was rebuilt and was once a booming pub in the mid 2000's, until it got out of hand. The original pub I do have pics of before some moron decided to burn it down for fun around about 2000ish.
If you walk up behind the pub, there is a little track and it follow the ridge line of a small gorge. Be careful as it can be slippery when wet. It is only about 150 metres, the track and it leads to a steep set of stairs that lead down to the rivers edge. It is gorge like and a great place to fish and reflect. But be warned do not swim in this section as there is a strong undercurrent. I honestly wouldn't recommend swimming in the section below the rapids as it is very dangerous. The bottom of the stairs you will find a water height gage, that is used, or may not be anymore for data recording.
A great bonus for people who like fossicking is that you are guaranteed to find an abundance of quartz rocks, that have clumps of wands in them,,,but the wands are only like 0.5 to 1cm long. Kids in particular love looking for them.
A great place as a base from the historic Walhalla that is about 5km up the road. A must for any traveller whilst in this part of Gippsland. It is an amazing town that has survived all that has been thrown at it. However be prepared for crowds and tourist buses, on weekends.
I highly recommend whilst camping here you -
JUMP ON THE TRAIN THAT RUNS FROM THE THOMSON RIVER BRIDGE TO WALHALLA. IT IS AN AMAZING RAILWAY BUT DON'T PUT YOUR HEAD OUT THE WINDOW, AS YOU MAY GET IT KNOCKED OFF AS THE LINE WAS CARVED THROUGH GRANITE/SLATE GORGES.
VISIT WALHALLA
WALK UP TO THE FOOTY/CRICKET OVAL, HOW THEY MADE ONE BEATS ME
DEFINETELY VISIT THE GRAVEYARD, AS IT IS ON AN EXTREMELY STEEP CLIFF.

Walhalla/Coopers Creek is a great place to go and I hope that I haven't overloaded the brain with all the info!
lilleesa

Return to Victoria