12 Rules Of Camping This Christmas - ERA Press Release

Bulletins, notices or alerts can be posted here. If it is specific to a region or community be sure to put the location n your heading (we will organise it by region if this sections grows).

12 Rules Of Camping This Christmas - ERA Press Release

Postby Derek Bullock » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:22 pm

Minister for Sustainability, Climate Change and Innovation
The Honourable Andrew McNamara

12/12/2007

Campers Encouraged to Heed 12 Rules of Christmas

Campers and visitors to Queensland's many protected areas have been urged to heed some simple messages to help ensure they and people around them have a safe and happy Christmas holiday.

Minister for Sustainability, Climate Change and Innovation, Andrew McNamara, said that following the "12 Rules of Camping" will assist campers enjoy their holiday, and keep Queensland national parks and forests beautiful for future generations to enjoy.

"From the western desert areas to the eastern seaboard, the New South Wales border to the tip of Cape York, Queensland is fortunate to have an array of spectacular national parks and protected areas as popular holiday and recreation destinations," Mr McNamara said.

"They can provide something for just about everyone with a range of affordable and enjoyable recreation opportunities, including camping, bushwalking, picnicking and commercial tourism activities.

"But as with any holiday destination, doing a little homework to plan your visit and fnd out what you can and cannot do will help ensure the experience is a memorable one.

"By following these few simple messages, we hope everyone visiting protected areas throughout Queensland will return home safe, happy and relaxed:

1. Book your campsite - online at epa.qld.gov.au/camping or by phoning 13 13 04 as onsite, self registration is not available at most camping spots;
2. Book early to ensure a spot and avoid disappointment;
3. Check if there are fire restrictions, and if so, don't light a fire;
4. If you're taking children camping, make sure you know where they are at all times, particularly when they're swimming;
5. Secure your food to prevent wildlife being attracted to it, and don't feed any wildlife if they come near;
6. If you're going for a bush walk make sure you tell people where you're going and stick to the tracks;
7. If you get lost sit tight until someone comes;
8. Go slow on the water if in designated turtle and dugong areas. It's a $300 on-the-spot fine if you're caught speeding;
9. If you're taking a 4WD, stick to speed limits out of respect for fellow campers and wildlife;
10. Check condition reports on the EPA website (http://www.epa.qld.gov.au), including fire and 4WDing restrictions;
11. Take your litter with you when you go; and
12. Just because you're in the wild doesn't mean you can go wild yourself - antisocial laws still apply so respect the environment and the rights of others."

Mr McNamara said more information about camping and visiting Queensland's protected areas was available on http://www.epa.qld.gov.au.

Media contact: Emma Parnell 3336 8002
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Blue Bravo » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:30 pm

Semms a reasonable list, though I suppose some people object to any regulation at all :)
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Troyk » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:55 pm

Maybe they could have set it t music like "On the 12th day of Christmas the Minister told me, not to run starkers amongst the gum trees, take 11 rubbish bags, ......." :grin:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Derek Bullock » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:12 pm

On the first day of Christmas the Minister said to me - book your camp site my true love

On the second day of Christmas the Minister said to me - make sure your early

On the third day of Christmas the Minister said to me - look out for fire restrictions

On the fourth day of Christmas the Minister said to me - look after your kids

On the fifth day of Christmas the Minister said to me - secure your food

On the sixth day of Christmas the Minister said to me - tell people where your going

On the seventh day of Christmas the Minister said to me - sit tight if lost

On the eighth day of Christmas the Minister said to me - go slow on the water

On the ninth day of Christmas the Minister said to me - stick to speed limits

On the tenth day of Christmas the Minister said to me - check conditions before you go

On the eleventh day of Christmas the Minister said to me - take your litter home

On the twelfth day of Christmas the Minister said to me - don't go wild and be anti social
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Troyk » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:22 pm

Hmmm.... We could have really helped the EPA out with their campaign. 8)
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Derek Bullock » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:23 pm

On the thirteenth day of Christmas the Minister said to me - no more fishing on Moreton Bay
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Re: 12 Rules Of Camping This Christmas - ERA Press Release

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:29 pm

Derek wrote:Minister for Sustainability, Climate Change and Innovation
The Honourable Andrew McNamara

12/12/2007

Campers Encouraged to Heed 12 Rules of Christmas

Campers and visitors to Queensland's many protected areas have been urged to heed some simple messages to help ensure they and people around them have a safe and happy Christmas holiday.

Minister for Sustainability, Climate Change and Innovation, Andrew McNamara, said that following the "12 Rules of Camping" will assist campers enjoy their holiday, and keep Queensland national parks and forests beautiful for future generations to enjoy.

"From the western desert areas to the eastern seaboard, the New South Wales border to the tip of Cape York, Queensland is fortunate to have an array of spectacular national parks and protected areas as popular holiday and recreation destinations," Mr McNamara said.

"They can provide something for just about everyone with a range of affordable and enjoyable recreation opportunities, including camping, bushwalking, picnicking and commercial tourism activities.

"But as with any holiday destination, doing a little homework to plan your visit and fnd out what you can and cannot do will help ensure the experience is a memorable one.

"By following these few simple messages, we hope everyone visiting protected areas throughout Queensland will return home safe, happy and relaxed:

1. Book your campsite - online at epa.qld.gov.au/camping or by phoning 13 13 04 as onsite, self registration is not available at most camping spots;
2. Book early to ensure a spot and avoid disappointment;
3. Check if there are fire restrictions, and if so, don't light a fire;
4. If you're taking children camping, make sure you know where they are at all times, particularly when they're swimming;
5. Secure your food to prevent wildlife being attracted to it, and don't feed any wildlife if they come near;
6. If you're going for a bush walk make sure you tell people where you're going and stick to the tracks;
7. If you get lost sit tight until someone comes;
8. Go slow on the water if in designated turtle and dugong areas. It's a $300 on-the-spot fine if you're caught speeding;
9. If you're taking a 4WD, stick to speed limits out of respect for fellow campers and wildlife;
10. Check condition reports on the EPA website (http://www.epa.qld.gov.au), including fire and 4WDing restrictions;
11. Take your litter with you when you go; and
12. Just because you're in the wild doesn't mean you can go wild yourself - antisocial laws still apply so respect the environment and the rights of others."

Mr McNamara said more information about camping and visiting Queensland's protected areas was available on http://www.epa.qld.gov.au.

Media contact: Emma Parnell 3336 8002

And I wonder how long it is since the The Honourable Andrew McNamara went camping....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby kazzakanary » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:12 pm

Gr8 sign Derek!!
Do you believe I was singing along??
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Postby kazzakanary » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:13 pm

I meant gr8 SONG!!
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Postby Mullie Grub Clan » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:26 am

I second that.... great song
Cheers
Chick
It's all about Beer, Hubbie, Fishing, Camping, Kids & Boating.. Oh and Me
Mullie Grub Clan
Camping Veteran

Postby will_deness » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:02 pm

12 basic common sense rules. What I find scary is that a politician came up with them.And he hasn't benn on a 6 week fact finding tour to Sweden to compile this list. UNBEIVEABLE! :shock:
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
will_deness
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Bulletins, Notice or Alerts