ABC Radio - History of camping in Australia

Bulletins, notices or alerts can be posted here. If it is specific to a region or community be sure to put the location n your heading (we will organise it by region if this sections grows).

ABC Radio - History of camping in Australia

Postby wintersun » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:42 pm

Hi Campers

I'm producing a 55-minute radio documentary about the history of camping in Australia. When you think about it, camping is how everything got started here. Today's recreational or holiday camping was preceded by a century and a half of camping by necessity: settlers, explorers, gold-diggers, rural itinerant workers, all camped in their thousands. Camping folklore evolved in these contexts, and is reflected in 19th century Australian songs, poems and paintings. Australian camping techniques, technology and terminology owe a considerable debt to Aboriginal camping practices. So it's a rich history, and I'm fortunate to be working with a historian who's doing some really solid research into the area. But I'm looking for campers to interview too.

One of the interesting things about camping is that it seems to remind people of the past - of earlier camping experiences, previous campsites. Maybe it's because campfires are good places for reminiscing, or maybe it's because we tend to return to favourite camping sites year after year, even from one generation to the next.

If you're a camper with something to say about the history of camping in Australia, or about how camping allows you to connect to the past, can you get in touch with me?

Many thanks
Catherine Freyne
Producer - Social History Unit
ABC Radio National
GPO Box 9994
Sydney NSW 2001
ph. +61 2 8333 2275
freyne.catherine@abc.net.au
www.abc.net.au/rn/hindsight
wintersun

Re: ABC Radio - History of camping in Australia

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:00 pm

I expect this will be a very interesting documentary.

Email sent.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Activity_Dept » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:55 pm

Yes, I like it. I can see the connection and think although challenging it will be an interesting one.
If there is anything we can help with let us know. Both are subjects we have a keen interest in, camping and history.

Regards,

:+
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby Derek Bullock » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:05 pm

I had a good chat to Catherine the other day. This is an exciting project. If anyone wants to provide her with some information, please contact her direct and don't post here.

Cheers

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Return to Bulletins, Notice or Alerts