Roof Raising Arms for Cub Drifter

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Roof Raising Arms for Cub Drifter

Postby gngh » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:31 pm

I have a problem similar to 4 Bears. I too thought I would rebuild a Cub Drifter. What a mistake that was, some problems I have come across are:

External door and fridge vents no longer available in the same square size/pattern, so I either have to get a new door made and cut an oblong hole to fit the currently available vents, or cut ridiculously larger holes to fit the square size vent currently available. Alternatively I can buy an aluminium vent sheet, cut it to size and pop rivet it on (looks just like it sounds: rough).

Door handle no longer available. so I can either weld up the old holes in the door, trying not to warp the the sheet metal (impossible) and fit a different type lock, or get a new door made up and fit the different lock.

The fridge has to be disconnected as the vents in the wall behind the fridge, the door and the roof no longer satisfy the new regulations up here in QLD. The question is, how many, what type and where should these vents be situated to satisfy these new rules?

A couple of the helper springs inside the roof lifting arms are broken and need replacing, the local caravan parts shop tell me neither the springs nor the arms are available anymore (I don't know where 4 Bears is getting his quote of $250 each from). I thought maybe the springs from a poptop caravan scissor lift might fit, anyone tried this remedy?

As a stop gap measure, I have heated the ends of the last few coils and stretched them out so they are the same length as the originals. The springs were then air cooled below red hot and then dipped in water to avoid brittleness. Seems to have worked, although I'm not sure of their longevity.

A quote for new canvas, an awning and fly;s was around $2100, quite reasonable I thought; however, considering all the other problems the final bill looks like being more than the camper is worth.

Something else to think on: If the lifting arms for a Drifter are no longer available, how long before the helper spring, or whatever mechanism they utilize, on a Cub flipover is no longer available!!!!

A word of warning to anyone alse out there thinking of doing the same thing - Don't.
gngh

Postby bugsssy » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:15 am

heres a question between the two of the cub drifters both your self and 4 bears have, could you rebuild one cub drifter ?
bugsssy
Captain Camping

One from two

Postby gngh » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:44 am

Here's some questions for Bugsssy:
does Bugsssy know what punctuation is,
does Bugsssy understand the English language,
indeed, can bugssy even speak the english language, and finaly
is Bugsssy capable of making anyone understand his nonsensical dribble.

Here's some help for Bugsssy!!!!

No,
No,
No, and
No.

Here's some tips for Bugsssy:
Before posting messages on this or any other message board, learn to spell; learn to speak; learn to write and then finally, but most importantly, learn some manners.
When you have done all this Bugsssy, Stay silent don't remove all doubt.
gngh

Comments.

Postby Activity_Dept » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:25 pm

gngh, did you misinterpret bugsssy reply or something? I think it was a fair comment is there any need to abuse them for trying to help???? :? Understandably you are frustrated but hey don’t shoot the messenger. :$
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Re: One from two

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:18 pm

gngh wrote:Here's some questions for Bugsssy:
does Bugsssy know what punctuation is,
does Bugsssy understand the English language,
indeed, can bugssy even speak the english English language, and finaly finally
is Bugsssy capable of making anyone understand his nonsensical dribble.?

Here's some help for Bugsssy!!!!

No,
No,
No, and
No.

Here's some tips for Bugsssy:
Before posting messages on this or any other message board, learn to spell; learn to speak; learn to write and then finally, but most importantly, learn some manners.
When you have done all this Bugsssy, Stay silent don't remove all doubt.

Seems as though your post has more spelling and grammatical errors in it than his ;)

Bugsy didn't have any ill intentions, it was a simple suggestion, maybe in your opinion a stupid one, fair enough, but thats what forums are for, sharing ideas... good or bad.

And finally, before posting messages on this or any other message board...

:mrgreen: ::)
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby bugsssy » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:56 am

Hmmm considering i'm pregnant i am a female not a shemale :booty not sure where the reference to me being male came from ::()
bugsssy
Captain Camping

Postby Derek Bullock » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:46 pm

:$ Some one needs a cuddle I think. :***
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Comments

Postby Activity_Dept » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:51 am

Yes a cuddle and an apology wouldn’t go astray either. I for one don't like to be abused for offering in this case valid opinion. I apologize on behalf of the 99% happy campers in the forum. :oops:
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby bugsssy » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:05 pm

Lol thanks guys but you don’t need to apologize for an overall idiot that should have done his research prior to purchasing the camper and then taking his frustrations out on me. Activity Dept thank you for the reply and hopefully Gngh has come to his senses and thought about Ozzy's post and his own grammatical errors prior to paying out on someone else.

Hey, when do we get a spelling and grammatical function to make the grammar police happy?
bugsssy
Captain Camping

Postby bugsssy » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:07 pm

Oh and Derek rather then a cuddle i'll have a choc chip muffin with walnuts please.... Hold the pickles Ozzy :booty
bugsssy
Captain Camping

Postby the4bears » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:39 pm

G'day folks, sorry for absence,i have been cutting rust, out a 2 year box tralier. "NOT HAPPY JAN" ah well s*#% happens ,just get on with it &get that job over and done with!!!!

I saw my ct in very poor state of repair& i thought it would be a great porject?
Then i found out that the arms were no longer available,rang CUB, they said that they give all of there drifter work to a contractor(caravan repairer),spoke to him (can not remember his name or company) iam sure if you ring CUB they will be able to give you his number.when i spoke to him,he knew of the problem,he was in the process of getting some arms made up, but as they were being subbyed out he had to get enough orders to place a order.(fair enough),thats where i got the cost of $250.
As for the other stuff i have not got that far yet.
I thought every australian male has some sort of impossible project to play with,to be out in the shed doing what males do best!!!!!!!!! :beer
If your chosen project is too much for you, sell to someone who is willing to have a go& buy something thats more you!
i think it is unfair to say what you did,when the whole idea of this forums is to ask questions of people who might have the same problem as you do,they might be able to help you!!!!
on the subject of commication,have you had the boys over for a :beer & bounced you ideas of them?
do you know a BUSH MECHANIC? if you do ask hiim or her.
Be positive it could be worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you have any questions,please ask me

BUT MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN WORKING ON YOUR PROJECT

CHEERS THE 4BEARS
:beer :beer :beer :beer
the4bears
Camping King

Postby bugsssy » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:05 pm

4 Bears,

You could have lots of parts if you were to purchase another drifter ......that was the point of my inital post before i got slammed. But as you say it seems that most Australian men like a project (or two in your case) :+ and if not sell it on to someone else building one that may have more luck.
bugsssy
Captain Camping

Postby Derek Bullock » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:04 pm

bugsssy wrote:Oh and Derek rather then a cuddle i'll have a choc chip muffin with walnuts please.... Hold the pickles Ozzy :booty

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Walnuts, now thats different in choc chip muffins. Now lets see how we could do that ..................

WHAT YOU NEED (I THINK)
1 cup saltanas
100 gm butter
100 grams dark chocolate
1/2 cup castor sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 and 1/4 cups self raising flour
2 tablespoons cocoa
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cups chopped walnuts

HOW TO DO IT (I SUPPOSE)
Place butter, sugar and chocolate in a small camp oven over a low heat ro melt it. Stir in milk, flour, cocoa, eggs, sultanas and walnuts until just combined. Don't over stir it. Spoon into paper muffin cups that have been placed in a muffin tray and bake in a preheated camp oven with mainly coals on top for around 25 to 30 minutes.

There ya go .............. cook them yaself ya lazy thing. :***

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Chocolate Fruit and Nut Mud Muffin

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:40 pm

OK Ms Bugssy, this is just for you. Gonna make you drool. Decided to try that recipe out and guess what. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Started off by firing up the camp oven on my cooking table.

Mixture in the muffin pan ready to go.

Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:43 pm

Cooked to perfection

HOW'S THAT FOR CAMP OVEN TUCKER ! ! ! ! ! !

Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Next

Return to Camper Trailers