? benifits of moving away from soft floor campers

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

? benifits of moving away from soft floor campers

Postby ßµtt鮃lÿ » Mon May 14, 2007 12:12 am

I currently own a well built on road soft floor camper, picked up cheap used it heaps and has become a great addition to our family. We are now looking at touring around Aust in the next couple of years and the idea of setting up and packing away a soft floor camper every couple of days will become painfull quickly. We have started looking at hard floor flip over, good but expensive for how little room they offer for the family unless you set up awning ect (may as well continue with the soft floor) now we are looking at Jayco style campers, what my question is from those that own this style will setting up and packing away be a chore, a little bit of work I dont mind but with a 3 and 1 yr old we already have our hands full when we pull up. would love to hear from those that have done somthing similar with young familys so that we can get our trip off to a good start.

thanks

Chook
    It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
    -Dave Barry --American writer, b.1947
    ßµtt鮃lÿ

Postby Scolers » Mon May 14, 2007 11:29 am

I assume you mean the Jayco range such as Swan, Finch etc?

We too have a soft floor camper and are looking at this range. So far as setting up is concerned it takes about 15 mins to set up (no annexe) and about 20 mins to pack up. For us that's a bonus as we have two very alrge annexe's on our CT which take up to 60 mins to pack.

Also, if you go with the Jayco range, get the 'Outback' version. Each model (Swan, finch etc) comes in the Outback packalthough you do pay a bit extra but it is well worth it as the sides are strengthened and you get a few extra bits and peices.

Good luck!

Scol.
    Scolers
    Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby HGMonaro » Mon May 14, 2007 1:24 pm

We have a Goldstream Wing 3 which is the same layout as a Swan. We looked at some hard-floor campers initially but they don't really suit families unless you start putting up annexes which we didn't want to do. The Swan/Wing layout lets you seperate the kids if need be by having the seperate lounge and meals seating areas.

Setup for us takes us between 10mins (basic leveling, setting end stays, connecting power and water if neededm, no bed end flys errected) and 25mins (bed end flys and uneven ground which nesseccitates extra leveling tasks like parking a wheel on a plank of wood)

Packing up is directly related to how much junk you take and where you store it. If your kids spread the contents of the camper around the site, then it doesn't matter what you have to pack them into, you still have to retrieve everything 1st! Ours is setup so everything has is place (and won't fit anywhere it's not supposed too!). We tend to do a clean up the night before so that in the morning we only have to clean up the breakfast dishes. I put chairs and tables away in the front boot, BBQ in the car, etc.

Once we get to the point of dropping the roof, we put the kids in the car to read a few books and proceed to drop the roof. If it's raining and the bed end flys were errected, you can leave them up until the bed ends are packed away which stops them (and you somewhat) getting wet.

The more we use it, the better we are at getting it packed up. Things like working the best way to fold the canvas so it sits best are fine tuned along the way.

Cheers, Nige
    HGMonaro
    Blatant Padder

Soft floor

Postby Hissy » Mon May 14, 2007 1:49 pm

Sorry to bud in,

We are looking to buying a soft floor camper, from the camel group.

Why do you find it takes a long to time to pack and unpack?
    Are there two of you or do you do it all yourself?

We currently camp with tents and annexes/tarps and it seems to take forever to set up. At least with a CT you can pack most of it up under cover if it is raining.

How long does it take for you to setup/packup and what type of CT do you own.

All the feed back would be appreciated as people with a CT have the experience.

Graham
    Hissy
    Hissy
    Captain Camping

Postby Scolers » Mon May 14, 2007 2:07 pm

As stated ... our CT is VERY large ... if you don't put up an annexe it will only take a few minutes to erect. We have two VERY large annexes and ANY annexe that is attached to a CT will take some time to erect.

A lot of CT companies will say "Only 10 mins to erect" etc. but if you want an annexe they take much longer to put up than the initial CT. Don't let this put you off and I'm sure Derek will tell you how good the Camel CT is. But as soon as you add extra annexes to the initial model then it starts taking time for you to put the whole thing up.

Hope that helps.

Scol.
    Scolers
    Apprentice Grey Nomad

Re: Soft floor

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon May 14, 2007 2:52 pm

Hissy wrote:Sorry to bud in,

We are looking to buying a soft floor camper, from the camel group.

Why do you find it takes a long to time to pack and unpack?
    Are there two of you or do you do it all yourself?

We currently camp with tents and annexes/tarps and it seems to take forever to set up. At least with a CT you can pack most of it up under cover if it is raining.

How long does it take for you to setup/packup and what type of CT do you own.

All the feed back would be appreciated as people with a CT have the experience.

Graham

Graham

As you know I have the Camel Camper and mines has the extra large 13FT tent area. http://www.aussiecampovencook.com/homeawayfromhome.htm

The awning on the Camel zips on at less than a minute. The roof supports for the annex take about a minute each. I have five of those so thats 5 minutes max. Ropes and pegs all round about another 5 minutes. The gazebo and annex zip on and consist of 3 panels each and they take about a minute each. Add all that together and its less than about 20 minutes. If you only get the standard tent size I reckon you could take a third off that.

That is doing it myself as well.

Cheers

Derek
    Derek Bullock
    Camp Oven KING!

Postby ßµtt鮃lÿ » Mon May 14, 2007 5:22 pm

Thanks to those that responded, we are currently looking at a jayco hawk out back so it was good the hear we are not the only ones.
    As for the soft floor camper we are still very happy with it but I have to agree that with the annex up, which it always to give the kids for extra protection from the sun up in Nth QLD, set up time is easy, pack up time is about the same as our cabin style tent. The soft floor is very big it is great for the family if we are going to stay somewhere for a couple of days to a week. I am looking at somthing that will allow us to move with as little effort as possible, we want to enjoy our trip so i am trying to do as much homework as possible.
    It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
    -Dave Barry --American writer, b.1947
    ßµtt鮃lÿ

Postby Blue Bravo » Mon May 14, 2007 11:04 pm

Mrs Bravo and I spent 5 months going around Aus in our cub camper. Set up from go to beds made etc about 20 mins. We have an awning which takes about 15 mins to put up but due to the height of the van and my lack of height I use a 2 step ladder to get the thing up. The hard floor provides uncluttered space, until we clutter it up that is.
    The trick is to get into a routine and try and put things away after you use them. Unfortunately the longer you stay the more things you get out the more you have to pack up. :)
    Glenn
    A member of the leisure class
    Blue Bravo
    Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Camper Trailers