Campervanning vs tenting

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Campervanning vs tenting

Postby garbage » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:56 am

We're currently tent people and I've always wondered what the attraction is to a camper trailer. We've often set up or packed up next to a camper trailer and we're usually done and dusted before they are. It usually takes us about 15 minutes to park, unload and pitch the tent. 5 minutes extra if packing away.

So for those who have tried both, I'd be interested in your views on the pros and cons of tenting vs campervanning. Is it possible to just leave your camper trailer fully loaded all the time so that quick weekend getaways are easy? Do sight seeing trips become a pain when it comes to having to park the car and trailer? Are there any benefits over tenting when packing up in wet weather?
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby Komodo » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:26 pm

My understanding is the benefits are that you can have a proper innersprung matteress which is up off the ground and that you can have all your gear left in the trailers (obviously except for perrishables) so all you need to pack is some clothes and some food, hook up the trailer and your off.

I've debated with my self the pros and cons of a camper trailer Vs an off road trailer loaded with all my camping gear much like Jeeps has
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Kramer » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:08 pm

Bought a camper because of the storage and how easy it is just to pack a few things and get away, I used to tent it but I borrowed the camper I have now bought and loved it. I would go hire one and do a trip see what you think?
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Pauly » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:17 pm

I have used both. Have hired a couple of camp trailers.

Is the tent your setting up 18' x 15' canvas?
I can have the basic trailer set up in under 5 mins in the rain, thats not including the annex area of course. Fully set up should be well less than an hour including annex and walls.

The last time we set up camp with the tent tarp and kitchen took about 2 hours maybe 2.5 hours and that was in the rain.

The biggest advantage with the camp trailers is simplicity to erect strength and size of area.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby Troyk » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:43 pm

A temptation with CT's is the extra storage and your sudden desire to take every piece of camping equipment you own. Thats why alot of people seem to take so long to set up and pack up. As well they require alot of thought and a few trips to sort out how you store stuff inside.

Overall the CT is more conveient to setup if you have got the right balance. On ours we have a swing out kitchen, water tank underneath, gas bottles on the side, all which do not require setup to use. we also have toolbox on the front, which is great for storing smaller items. We also 2 batteries and run 12v supply to a number fo scokets around the CT as well.

PS Komodo, generally matresses in CT's are foam as innersprings do not breath when packed and can go mouldy. You can get matress with plenty of ventilation but you pay a bit for them. To improve the comfort of the foam mattress alot people use those egg carton mattress covers.

Anyhow my comments! :grin:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Blue Bravo » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:14 pm

Mrs Bravo and I do both depending on where and when we go.

Went the camper trailer option (cub hardfloor) as it contained everything to camp with and can be set up in a few minutes if necessary. We naturally take a heap of extras to make life more comfortable and this is where the packing and un packing comes in.

We then got a tent to get to the places we couldn't take the trailer (not an off roader).

Which ever way you go the most important thing is to get out there and enjoy whatever you are doing :?#
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:50 pm

Troyk wrote:
PS Komodo, generally matresses in CT's are foam as innersprings do not breath when packed and can go mouldy. You can get matress with plenty of ventilation but you pay a bit for them. To improve the comfort of the foam mattress alot people use those egg carton mattress covers.
:

I disagree with your comment Troy....a lot of CTs these days do have innerspring mattresses. There are 2 companies that I am aware of that make innerspring mattresses especially for CTs.

I have an innerspring mattress in my CT.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Troyk » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:19 pm

gypsylady wrote:
Troyk wrote:
:

I disagree with your comment Troy....a lot of CTs these days do have innerspring mattresses. There are 2 companies that I am aware of that make innerspring mattresses especially for CTs.

I have an innerspring mattress in my CT.

I did say generally. I know you can get them. When we bought our CT a few years back it was about $800 for a 150mm innerspring from memory. People who had the innersprings said they went musty so we didn't get one. I hear they are getting better.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk

Postby garbage » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:35 am

Pauly wrote:I have used both. Have hired a couple of camp trailers.

Is the tent your setting up 18' x 15' canvas?

It's a 3m x 3m canvas touring tent.
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby garbage » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:40 pm

Troyk wrote:Overall the CT is more conveient to setup if you have got the right balance. On ours we have a swing out kitchen, water tank underneath, gas bottles on the side, all which do not require setup to use. we also have toolbox on the front, which is great for storing smaller items. We also 2 batteries and run 12v supply to a number fo scokets around the CT as well.

Thanks for the positives - these are certainly some good selling points! Just out of interest, how much would such a campertrailer set me back? I'm trying to weigh up these positives vs just buying a standard trailer and still going with a tent.
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby Derek Bullock » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:43 pm

garbage wrote:
Troyk wrote:Overall the CT is more conveient to setup if you have got the right balance. On ours we have a swing out kitchen, water tank underneath, gas bottles on the side, all which do not require setup to use. we also have toolbox on the front, which is great for storing smaller items. We also 2 batteries and run 12v supply to a number fo scokets around the CT as well.

Thanks for the positives - these are certainly some good selling points! Just out of interest, how much would such a campertrailer set me back? I'm trying to weigh up these positives vs just buying a standard trailer and still going with a tent.

Depends what you are looking for. Mine will cost you around $12,000 with all the options I have including on road. http://www.aussiecampovencook.com/homeawayfromhome.htm

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:04 am

NEW, anything from $6000 to $46,000
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Troyk » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:21 pm

garbage wrote:

A base model is around the $7000. You then customise to suit and this can add for a soft floor another $5000 to $10,000. It depends on what you want really, and this is the real advantage as you can add to suit your desires and budget. If you are on a budget you can defer some items until later just tell the CT manufacturer what you are after and they make sure extras such as mounting bolts etc are added up front for later. Add as you go.

My setup would be about $13,000,a Modcon, quite similar to Dereks, have more canvas in the annex, have a 4 burner stove with grill and 7 leaf suspension. Don;t have the bike rack (It goes on the car) or the fancy trailer lining (yet) and only have a 9 foot room. So as you can see its it really depends on what you want.

When I get my CT back (its in the shop at the moment) I will post some pics.

Then you get the hardfloors and seem them past the $50,000 mark.

Something worth reading if you are looking is the Camper Trailer Australia Magazine, available at the newsagent. Next one must be due soon.

If you go down this path, start a topic and I am sure we can all post our thoughts and expereinces. i.e. I would get Dereks ladder for the bed than one i got because its a bugger of thing to fit in. :grin:

Troyk

both camper trailer and tent

Postby shasa_pa » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:24 pm

We've done both. Putting up a tent seems more time consuming than a camper trailer. Still have to pack gear to go away with but with a camper trailer you can store gear INside the trailer, whereas a tent, you have to store gear in the back of your car (Bit had with 3 kids as well for us..)
If the camper trailer has a kitchen/stove attached to a swing out door then stopping by the side of the road for a meal is more convenient!
15oz canvas on a camper trailer is good - just as good as the tent you would buy.
Has a matteress thats on top of the trailer inside the camper trailer, whereas in a tent, everyone gets to sleep on the ground/ stretchers. We hire camper trailers with a king size bed inside. More confy for mummy and daddy.
There are pros and cons on both, but I found more cons on tents - mainly the setting up part taking longer whereas a camper trailer only takes minutes to set up! Both take time putting gear inside them. Mainly the setting up part, and attached kitchen is good with a camper trailer especially if you're not close to anything and need something/somewhere to eat/sleep.
Cheers.
shasa_pa
Boy Scout

Return to Camper Trailers