Second hand Rims and Tyres

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Second hand Rims and Tyres

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:50 pm

Looking at camper trailers...a lot say they come with second hand tyres and rims...why? and is this safe.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Troyk » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:17 pm

They do because they are cheaper. You will find that there are plenty of rims and tyres around because people upgrade.

Are they safe. Don't see a problem, as long as the rims are free of rust, not buckled etc, and the tyres have good tread and are not re-treads or re-grooved. Remember that your CT wont do the same k's as your car.

On tyres they have a life of 4 years, so check how old they are.

A tip though. Try to get the same rims and tyres as on your car. :grin:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:45 pm

Thanks Troyk, i see i have a lot to learn.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Komodo » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:41 pm

Just be warned many of the cheaper trailers come with second hand wheels and tyres which are "just" road worthy.

Like troy said try get a hub and wheel combination that matches your vechicle this way you have extra spares should the need arise as you can interchange between vehicle and trailer.

There are a LOT of wheels available that are second hand brand new - especially for commodores and falcons because of the number of people who buy a new car and straight away have mags fitted (either as an aftermarket dealer option or within 30,000ks).
If you can afford it try get mags - unless your hitting really hard 4x4 tracks mags reduce your unsprung weight thus your suspension will work FAR better, though this is generally impractical financially but is a possible avenue to persue as a later upgrade.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Camper Trailers