How heavey is Too heavey for off road?

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

How heavey is Too heavey for off road?

Postby megabuff » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:04 pm

Fro going off road, as a general rule how heavy or light should your camper trailer be?

Talk in Tare weight I guess?
megabuff
Boy Scout

Re: How heavey is Too heavey for off road?

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:47 pm

By off road do you mean dirt roads?

Driving on the beach?

Muddy roads?

or proper 4wding involving slow, Low range driving over very rough terrain?

Then, what vehicle are you towing the camper with?

Without this or similar information, you may as well be asking how heavy is a piece of string :P

but as a general rule, the lighter the better.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby megabuff » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:12 am

hi ozzycamper

thanks for the replay mate, i like the "how heavy is a peice of string" :-) very witty that one

Sand, possibly.
Muddy roads? Yes

or proper 4wding involving slow, Low range driving over very rough terrain? rough to semi rough mate.

as was stated in another post, set up camp and do the serious stuff, but may have to do some to get there.

Then, what vehicle are you towing the camper with? 83 Hilux duel cab with 5l V8
megabuff
Boy Scout

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:35 am

83 Lux with a 5.0.... we need a rides section I think 8)

Should be fine with loads of weight provided you can still get traction, I've really only got 1 experience to go off - on sand towing a water cart with a 2H powered cruiser.....it just wasn't going to happen, kept bogging down the second we lost momentum, but the sand was pretty soft and total weight in the trailer + tray would have been up around 1tonne+

But at the end of the day people have towed more with less so I reckon it comes down to the conditions of the tracks on the day. Like I was on a dirt road in the Wattagans after rain once, it was the main road through it so usually suitable for road cars, yet I had trouble getting up a slight incline in 2wd, tires just couldn't get traction. Would have had no chance with a trailer of any weight.

Keep it light, pack everything you need and nothing you don't. If it was me, I'd aim for around 500-800kgs, but I've no idea of what a camper trailer weighs dry, so 500kg might be a bit ambitious.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Redback » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:53 am

Well you will find that manufacturers recommend 1 ton (1000kgs) is the max weight allowed for offroad towing.

If you look in the owners manual it is stated in spefications section under towing weight limits.

For example, the owners manual for my Land Rover Discovery states;

Max towing capacity ONROAD is;

750kg for a single axle non braked trailer

3500kg for a braked single axle trailer

If fitted with factory fitted Land Rover heavey duty tow hitch and electric braking system

4000KG for tandum axle trailer only.

For offroad

750kg for a single axle non braked trailer

1000kg for a braked single or tandum axle trailer.

I would imagine Toyota and other companies has the same limit of 1000kg for when towing offroad.

Whether it's illegal or not, i don't know, i think these are the manufactureres limits only.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby megabuff » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:43 pm

hi guys thanks for sharing.

Yeah the 5L goes pretty hard, fastest 4WD ive ever owned ;-)

most of the poptops I have been looking at have a tare weight of 500 - 600 kg, so yeah, would have to pack rather light.
Last edited by megabuff on Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
megabuff
Boy Scout

Postby Komodo » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:22 pm

I've seen campers upto 2 tonne.
Coota campers do a tandem trailer which is about 2400kg when fully loaded from memory - so i guess it all comes down to what your towing with.

A lux with a 5 Litre bent 8 should have no dramas towing a reasonable load provided traction isnt an issue. I'd probably try to keep it under 1200kg (remember 1L water = 1kg plus the weight of your storage for your water so 5 days water for 2 people = 50+ kg thats working on 5L per person per day for cooking, cleaning and drinking. I find on shorter trips I tend to use about 8L a day and longer trips I can get that down to about 4L per day. In hot country though I can easily use 10L a day.
Plus you might want a couple of 20L jerrys of fuel if your doing a reasonable amount of 4L work (particularly with a V8)
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby megabuff » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:44 pm

thanks for the tips mate :-)
megabuff
Boy Scout

Return to Camper Trailers