Advice Wanted On Campertrailers.

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Advice Wanted On Campertrailers.

Postby patant » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:38 pm

Hi Guys n Gals

New to the forum so just saying G,Day.

Can any members comment on the Campertrailers that we have spotted for sale on eBay.

They are the type that fit onto your existing trailer, these particular ones are by an eBay company called oz1camping, they look very good, i have listed below some of the specs you get, they are prices between $1650 - $1975.

They have a big high up bedroom area on top of your trailer with a long tent area opp the bedroom then a huge Annex with walls and the walls are sloping as they state its better for wind.

Apparently you drill securing holes into the flanges of your existing trailer and attach.

14oz Ripstop Canvas.
100mm King Sized Innerspring Mattress.
Aluminium Ladder.
18mm Solid Construction Ply Bed Base On Steel Frame.
Inner & Outer Heavy Duty Covers For Trailer When Travelling

Are they any good as the company has a good feedback response from customers.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

Tony
patant

Re: Advice Wanted On Campertrailers.

Postby bockstar » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:13 pm

I just you'd have to ensure that your trailer copes with the weight of the tent on top of your trailer plus all the extra stuff that comes with a camping trip.

I'd be learning towards spending more on getting an actual camper trailer. With purchase a more complete unit, you're closer to getting more organised for camping.

Our trailer is a case in point. It came with deep cycle battery, water tank with 2 taps and sing, plumbed in stove, drawer, kitchen. All of this on a heavy duty trailer that enables us to go more off road.

BTW, tried searching on eBay for the company you quoted and I couldn't find it.

Thanks.
Challenge C/T - Offroad, Softfloor camper
Tool box, Water Tank, Gas Bottle, Kitchen on tailgate, 10Ft Tent
bockstar
Captain Camping

Postby Pauly » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:28 am

Tony I did similar, bought the top and made a trailer to suit. All the tops on ebay come out of china and its a differant sort of canvas than is used in Australia but still good. Ive had my trailer for 18 months or so and used it lots.

Pros and cons

Your trailer height is is a limited range of 1050 optimum and about 50 mm either side.
Canvas is lighter than Australian canvas.
Not as strong as Australian made canvas
100 mm mattress is too thin, we now have a 180mm high density mattress.
Top protective cover is a bit of a pain.
Set up is fairly easy but the annex does take a bit of effort getting the poles set up.
For the money I think they are pretty good buying. A top same as mine built in Australia would be well over 10k. This is the one I bought and the most of it I have put up is the main tent and annex, never had the walls up and mostly fold the annex back over the roof because I run a tarp over it all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:06 am

Me personally I am very reluctant to spend that sort of money without inspecting it first and also if something goes wrong I like to be able to go back to the company to sort it out. Not sure if that is going to be likely with an ebay purchase. But each to his own.

We purchased our second hand off road CT from a mate who built it himself and had the 10ft tent (14oz canvas) and frame (2 inch thick) made here locally. It has an awning but not an annexe which we were going to get made locally for around $2000 but have upgraded instead. We are about to sell it for $6500 but we may be aiming way too low?????

Didn't mean for this to sound like an ad but just thought it may give you some prospective????

Just my two cents, not sure whether it will help or not? :***
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Bradd » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:51 am

Before we bought our used camper trailer we were seriously considering just getting a camper top to bolt onto our 6x4.

While I can't find reference to it on their site, Dingo Campers were happy to sell just the top and had plenty set up to
see what they look / feel like and while I'm sure they probably all come from China, at least you have a real person to deal with.

http://dingocampers.com.au/index.htm

Edit: Kits here
http://dingocampers.com.au/kits.htm

Also, from memory one of the Ebay sellers had a factory/showroom in Bayswater Vic,
but as I was looking around a year ago don't ask me which one 8)
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby sienna » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:13 pm

I'm fairly new to the camper trailer and like you, I have been reading and asking.
I was at the camping show in Brissy today and spoke at length with one of the local ladies whose family runs a camper trailer business. We talked about canvas etc and she mentioned that the ripstop canvas is not so good. Now I realise that she was there to sell her family's products but they also sell oztrail camper tents/ packages. She said the reason for this was because although the canvas is made in china, it is to aus specs and is covered by a two year warranty. At another company I spoke with, the owners actually own and use an oztrail camper trailer and love it. They sell them and have reportedly not had any customer complaints.
Personally I would love to get an aus made canvas ct but I can't afford it so I am leaning towards an oztrail.

I guess you would want to make sure that there is a warranty and if you can inspect the ct before purchase, then it would be much better.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Pauly » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:48 pm

Just something extra when deciding on a tent, try to have your doors in the middle next to the trailer. If the door is at the end and like me have kids in bunks you ave to go between the beds to get to your own bed.
Also Im not 100% but arnt the Oztrail tops fairly expensive for their size
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby sienna » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:58 pm

Not really. Not from what I've seen. I looked at quite a few from different companies today and oztrail were one of the cheapest. What I can't get over is how expensive trailers are!
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:49 am

sienna wrote: What I can't get over is how expensive trailers are!

It really is a case of you get what you pay for with trailers......you want a product to last the distance and you have to pay for it.

Unfortunately ther are many out there that are also not cheap and are not quality products. They trade on the reputation of those who do offer a quality product.

The best advice I can give a novice is....please buy a pre loved camper first.....get out there and use it.....learn about it, what you like and what you don't. If you have a handyman partner, get him to do any mods you feel will improve it and then at some point down the track you can upgrade to a new one. By this time you WILL know what you want and what works for you.

With a pre loved CT you know it has performed and lasted the distance (well usually) and you will normally get into a CT with a lot more extras for a whole lot less money. Using a camper is the only way you will get the experience and come to KNOW what suits you....prior to that you only think you know.

And am I talking from experience......yes. The first CT I bought had just returned from its 3rd trip to Cape York, a pretty gruelling test in my opinion.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Camper Trailers