Anyone heard of 'Gordigear'?

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Anyone heard of 'Gordigear'?

Postby sienna » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:36 pm

I found this company on ebay and then looked at their website. I've never heard of them but then I'm fairly new to the whole camper trailer thing.
Just wondering if anyone has heard of them and if they are any good. What I am concerned about is where their canvas is made as I have read many posts on here about canvas and the associated pitfalls that can come with it if manufactured os.
All feddback is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Anyone heard of 'Gordigear'?

Postby mr_grumble » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:38 pm

Haven't heard of the manufacturer but I do oun a CT with canvas made in China (Oztrail).

Yes it is lighter than that of some aussie made canvas, and yes it probably will withstand rougher treatment, but I have absolutely no complaints about ours. Has never leaked a drop, has coped a bit of heavy treatment without as much as surface damage.

There are advantages too.....

Weight is significantly reduced and once folded up, is alot less bulky.
If it's economy your looking for, canvas is a good way of reducing costs.

Having siad that though, I'd still reccomend seing it in person for yourself as I'm sure there are good and bad canvas's that come out of China.

Steve
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby sienna » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:49 pm

Thanks.
I have been looking at an oztrail camper as an option. I've been told that although the oztrail canvs is made in China, it is to aus specs.
It is really going to come down to cost for me but if that means going secondhand to get a better quality brand then I'll do it.
It is nice to hear from actual owners of ct. Sales reps can tell you heaps but it's much better if they own their own product.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby mr_grumble » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:21 am

Yes, never trust the word of a salesperson, after all most of them probably have never spent the night in one :roll:
There is a very good market in second hand CT's these days.

Most have moved on to caravans, CT's arn't always what they are cracked up to be.
They often can be difficult to errect, especially in wind and/or rain and some just don't offer the level of creature comforts people require when camping :?

Always go and have a look first hand, there is always things that you will like and things you won't like. At least with a manufacturer, you have the option to customise. Expect reasonable amount of $$$$ though.
The oztrail's are good, but they do have their bad points.

I purchased the camptop seperately and fitted it to a custom built trailer. The 'mounting kit' that oztrail supplied was pretty well crap, so I spend a great deal of time re-engineering to have it fit properly and securely. This may or may not be up your ally ???? If it is, then you will come out the other side with a quality CT otherwise you may be better off looking for one of the many companies that sell the camptop and trailer as a package. Still worth taking a look first hand though.

I personally would recommend seeking out one of the many second hand (used once or twice) CT's that are advertised, you'll potentially save thousands and have a wide range to choose from.
Hope it helps.

Steve
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby sienna » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:25 pm

Thanks, Steve.
Actually I just bought a second hand camel ct. It is 4y/o and not used much. Still has canvas smell in it. It is really good nick and I knocked some dollars off the asking price, too. :grin: So now I on my way into the ct club. I'll get to try it out in Nov and can't wait.
Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
Now I'll have to post some pictures when I go camping next month!
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby dea » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:34 pm

we have the 12ft oztrail CT.. and love it .. used it a few times now.. so easy to put up about a hr to be fully set up... we added a kitchen to it ..bought it brand new for under 6k.. so was very pleased... we needed a big one to fit the kids and dogs lol ... has fully inclosed annexe too... just wish we didnt have to work so much & wish we could go more often .. darn bills & morgtage lol
dea
Camping Oracle

Return to Camper Trailers