Tru Blue Camper Traliers are they any good

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Tru Blue Camper Traliers are they any good

Postby Pumbaa » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:17 pm

Hello all,

I am looking at purchasing a CT but still not sure on what brand to get. I have looked localy in Melbourne and have found Tru Blue Camper Trailers.

Can any one help are they any good... after sales.... quality etc.

I have hired a Johnos camper so that my 2nd option.

Thanks heaps..... and look forward to adding to the forums.
Pumbaa

Re: Tru Blue Camper Traliers are they any good

Postby mr_grumble » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:19 pm

My advice.....look at as many as you can, you will soon see the differences in quality and equipment levels.

If your going to pay out $8k+ for a Camper Trailer, you'd be be best understanding everything about what makes up different types of camper before shelling out the cash.

Learn up on;
- Different types of suspension setup's. Different spring types, axle profiles and sizes (square / round / 40mm / 45mm).
- Braking types (hydraualic, electric, override).
- Coupling types (standard 50mm ball, hyland, tregg).
- Chassis, be able to spot the difference between a SHS/RHS tubing chassis (Square Hollow Section/ Rectualangular Hollow Section) and just plain angle chassis. If you intend on heading off-road, then definately lean towards the full tubing chassis.
- Different camptop designs and the different materials different manufacturers use.
- All the added extra's that all the manufacturers want to push onto you, some handy whilst others just a complete waist of money.
;) for your own needs. You will have feedback from different people, alot of the time with opposing views, so it's wise to be able to spot a good camper from a bad one yourself and there are lots of suspect ones on the market, so it should be a pretty steep learning curve, just look at as many as possible (and don't always trust the salesman's word...after all, their main goal is to sell the trailer after all)

For what we decided was a fair amount of money to shell out for a Camper Trailer, we opted to make our own as we couldn't find one with the quality and equipment levels that we needed. In the end, we were able to make one that exceeded most others in quality and equipment for half the ticked price. and most of all, it fits our needs perfectly.

Happy hunting...

Steve
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby Titch » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:33 pm

Most interesting,
First of all welcome Pumbaa. :hello:
Steve, what trailer tent was your choice.
May enlighten a few of us.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Gab_n_Gee » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:45 pm

My wife and I are hiring a Johnno's trailer over Labor weekend. How did you find their product?

We will be dropping it back to their Seaford depot on the Tuesday morning then heading straight to the Vic Camping and Caravan Expo at Caulfield. It will be a good chance to compare alot of product at the same place.

Gareth
Gab_n_Gee
Boy Scout

Postby mr_grumble » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:57 am

We opted for the Oztrail Camper 12, initially because of the ebay deal of a century the wife had struck with the importer ;) 1/3 the price of a 'locally' manufactured camptop which slept 4.

We had reservations based upon some contradicting write-up's, mainly with the quality of the canvas, but once we had seen the setup for ourselves, we were impressed with what was on offer for the $$$ and besides we've never had an issue with anything we've bought from Oztrail.

Yes the canvas is thinner than traditional 12 ounce Aust canvas, but we've never had a drip of water through, even in torrential downpours and seems to be very abrasive resistant. We had a gum tree branch fall onto it from a great height and whilst it left a 1" mark where the waterproofing was disturbed, the canvas seemed fine.

With the additional annex wall, it easily houses 6 adults even with the full kitchen extended.
The only issue we had with the Oztrail was the fitting hardware supplied. Very poor, but as I had the trailer custom made, I was able to have welded, the various brackets I made onto the trailer prior to Galvanising.

The hardware that was supplied may have been fine for on-road, but I definately would be cautious about taking it over anything too rough.
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby Titch » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:13 am

Thanks Steve :?#
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Pumbaa » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:44 pm

Thanks Steve.

It is a tough choice especially when your spending 10k.....I will contuine to do research.

The set up I am looking for is for a family of 5 for semi off road.... Just want to hook up and go.

Hi Garth.

I found there campers great the service recevied from the Johnnos Agent was good too. This was in Sydney but.

I too am going to Vic Camping and Caravan Expo at Caulfield as well.....

Regards Greg
Pumbaa

Return to Camper Trailers