Stone Guard

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Re: Stone Guard

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:41 pm

xmasbaby67 wrote:PS: Like your CT Gypsy and I'm glad someone else likes putting stickers on the back of their CT.....My dad pokes fun at us for doing that but he is in a van with a tyre cover with some corny saying about their "cubby house" so he can't talk.....hahaha :***

I have a friend down the Gold Coast who calls her van....'her cubby house'....she is obviously still a kid at heart.

Re the stickers......yes they were an absolute must, it was the first big trip I have done in it.....just under 9000klms in 5 weeks. Covered a lot of country and saw heaps as well....truely brilliant trip. Can't wait to do another one....but still dreamin' at the moment.

When I sold my soft floor CT it had stickers on the rear tail gate from outback trips and the new owners were just so impressed that the CT had been to 'all those places'....

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby steady » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:04 pm

Thanks for the advice will be making 1 i think
steady

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:09 pm

steady wrote:Thanks for the advice will be making 1 i think

A decision I doubt you'll ever reget steady......
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Bradd » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:11 pm

After having to unbolt and remove my front tool box to get the spare which was mounted under the tool box off with some completely ridiculous gizmo holding it on, on the side of the Princes Fwy,
I decided to just chuck it on top (under the cover) now.
I reckon as it's so easy to get to now I will never need it :+

Im sure the original owner thought he had a good Idea :idea:
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby Lowndsey » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:34 pm

xmasbaby67 wrote:Where would be the best place to put the spare tyre then???? Dont like it on the tailgate either :roll: so any suggestions are most welcome. :cheers

I am a nice & neat type of person and it does look lovely!! :armsup

Would rock tamer mud flaps anywhere help???

Have been on dirt roads with it and so far so good but it only takes one rock though ::()

I would just extend your stone guard or build a new bigger one to cover the tyre rather than relocating the tyre.
Lowndsey

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:33 am

Not sure yet Lowndsey the free space where the spare is now could be used for other things if we relocate the spare to a swing out on the back.

Food for thought though when the time comes. :armsup
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby d4d » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:53 pm

gypsylady wrote:Now I have to say XB....if you are travellling up the highway the spare tyre mounted in an upright position like yours is fine...

BUT if you were travelling on dirt roads or in the outback, the stones thrown up by your vehicle tyres would pepper the rear of your vehicle including the window...a ricochet effect.

The rear wheels of your vehicle throw up the stones, they hit the rubber and then bounce back to hit the rear of your vehicle and can very easily break your rear window.....Please keep that in mind if you are going to do any off road driving.

Mud flaps on the vehicle are not enough to prevent this from happening.

Yes...I understand it is nice and neat and tidy and easy accessible.....BUT it is not a good position to have a tyre when travelling on dirt roads.

The other alternative would be to cover it with canvas or something that reduces the 'bounce' effect.

Overall it would be better not to have it there......

Remember this only applies for any dirt road driving....

I would disagree. My spare is in the same position and I have done many off road klms and never had a broken window or damage to the rear of the vehicle. I do have a large stone guard across the front of the trailer and extended mudflaps on the tow rig.
d4d
Boy Scout

Postby MDC » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:48 pm

Has anyone tried using a foam lining on the inside of a tyre cover? I'm thinking thick memory foam or something similar from Clarks Rubber.

In theory it should absorb the impact of a stone - hopefully enough that it doesn't bounce back onto the windscreen.
MDC
Captain Camping

Previous

Return to Camper Trailers