Electric Brakes.

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Electric Brakes.

Postby Ticky » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:35 pm

Hi,

I have a few questions that I hope to get some feed back on, to help me make the right decisions.

About 10 weeks to DD, (Delivery Date) & I am as excited as a dozen Big Kev's.

I still have to wire the Charging system for my new Thumper Pack,
Instal Electric Brakes, & remove A post from the Carport & Design & Build a bracket & strengthen the carport roof to carry the load, both up & down, so I can remove the post.

I imagin that 10 weeks will go fairly quickly.

My questions are as follows:

Do you have electric brakes?
- What Controler do you Have?
- What do you think of it?
- What do you know, heard or think of the TEKONSHA PRODIGY Electric Brake Controler?

Do you have a Ride Leveler hitch?
- Should I be looking at one of these or maybe Airbags for my Goldstream Windup behind my VY Berlina?
- What make do you suggest?
- Why

Thanks for your help.
Steve
Ticky

Re: Electric Brakes.

Postby HGMonaro » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:16 pm

we have a Prodigy.. works great and allows adjustments to suit your camper weight (and how aggressive you want it to apply the brakes). One of the more highly regarded controllers.

We have airbags (polyair) in our Prado but don't use a WDH. We have a Treg hitch which complicates things a bit. My father-in-law tows a bigger/heavier full van with his Prado without airbags but uses a WDH.

A WDH does more than just keep the bum of your car up (which airbags only do) so I'd suggest start with a WDH and add airbags if that is not enough to get a safe towing attitude. Which one you need... no idea, but the manufacturers should be able to advise.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Return to Camper Trailers