Securing your tent

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Securing your tent

Postby awhite » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:15 pm

Hi all - I am new to camping and will be taking my first trip over Easter.

How do you secure your tent? We will be taking our valuables (camera, money etc) with us everywhere - but what do you do with your chairs, tables, esky etc?

The tourist park we are staying at has swipe cards for car entry, but it seems like anyone can walk around.

Is a lock on the tent just attracting trouble?

Thanks,
Amanda
awhite

Postby RichardLOZ » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:39 pm

Hi Amanda

Generally you need not worry. Everywhere that we have been we have basically gone out for the day just taking the valuables as you have suggested, leaving everything else there.

You will find that "most" people who are also camping are quite honest and are more likely to watch over your campsite rather than take things from it. You could also ask the people camping near to you if they wouldnt mind keeping an eye opn things while you are out.

Cheers
RichardLOZ

Postby awhite » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:47 pm

Thanks Richard. No problems on our first trip - we just zipped down the front of the tent each time we went out.
awhite

Postby KerryandWendy » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:23 pm

When we first started out we did buy a long thin shank padlock and locked the zipper tabs together at the bottom. We still do some places.

We lost a small transistor at West Beach Caravan Park SA. The campers are OK but the local kids could access the park from a beach walkway. Port Maquarie some one stoll a shower bag I left out overnight, and my shaver head was inside so that was a nuisance. Same again gangs of local kids wandering through the Park.

The Transistor cost $14 to replace and the Shaver head $111.(expensive shaver) Some Parks have kids strolling through at night. Port Maquarie even hired Night security guards and patrols but we still got bitten.

That was two bad experiances out of 200 plus nights of camping. Even in remote campsites on stations and Mataranka MP. we just left our stuff and tent open locking valuables in the car (did not need to though) nothing was touched.
Have tent will Travel
KerryandWendy
Boy Scout

Security

Postby offroader » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:20 am

i have camped extensively in national parks and state forests and have never had any problems with things being touched. most people who camp in such places are all like minded and would never touch anyone else's campsite ...... more likely they will keep an eye on it for you. i simply zip up my tent, leave my esky, stove etc under my tarp and go out for the day.

this problem seems unique to van parks.

offroader
offroader
Boy Scout

Postby Scolers » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:58 pm

Pretty much the same as everyone else ... it should be ok ... just don;t advertise your valuable and you should be fine.

In most parks that I've been too honest people (about 99%) look out for each other. The main problem is hoodlums from the town itself but that is a rarety now-a-days.

:)

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Tent Security

Postby PeterH » Tue May 09, 2006 10:30 pm

Been camping for many years now and never bothered to secure our basic gear. Take wallets and cameras etc. with us when we go anywhere but all the other day to day stuff we just leave either in the tent or just out the front. Have never lost a thing. How do you honestly secure a tent anyhow. Anyone with a stanley knife can gain access regardless of padlocks etc. Sites in large towns are probably more of a problem that out in the sticks. Most people who are camping are of the same mindset as yourself and will normally keep an eye on your site if they know you are away,
Peter
PeterH

Return to Camping Tips and Locations