SNAKES while camping ??

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Postby CCC » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:15 pm

Thanx for all the information. I guess I was just worried about them finding their way into the tent or car :shock:

Your right ... forgot about leeches and ticks ... actually I will have to try and find a site to show me what they really look like... scorpions ?? where would they be found ?

i know .... :--? (again) hahaha
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Fonty » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:32 pm

All of the above are supposed to get bigger and bigger as you get further north. Well except for leeches, we have them big enough right here. Wilson's Prom is a good place to collect them. If you get them either a lighter or salt will loosen them and you can get them out, they don't really drink much.
Ticks are more dangerous and some are poisonous, you also have to 'unscrew' them to remove them apparently- again they get more prevelant and bigger the more north you go apparently. I've never seen one but a nephew got one in Healesville once.
Scorpions can be lethal apparently, I've seen them here, we had them in Healesville and in Montrose in our house, but only tiny ones. I don't think those ones had enough in them to do much to us but with young babies around at the time it wasn't something I was prepared to risk.

If you're in leech infested areas especially when it's wet cover up completely- socks over pants, scarves over necks etc. Then do spot checks whenever you stop walking and have your lighter handy. :grin:

As for scorpions, you're about as likely to find one of them as a spider.. just watch out under tree bark and similar hidey hole spots like that, maybe when collecting firewood you might be unlucky enough to find one. I've only seen them when I've gone looking myself and they're pretty easy to avoid then. :)
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:30 pm

I'm over leeches. used to spin me out but I've had that many now its more of an irritance than anything. Usually you can just pull them off.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby CCC » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:42 pm

I got my first leech up at the watagans on the weekend scared the heck out of me as I didnt know what it was and almost dropped the 2 year old hahaha .... I should have 'L' plates for the bush

.... ::() sad to see our regular camp site had been trashed by some :booty holes ... broken glass everywhere, ripped out the bin so bottles were thrown around :-bang :x
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Blue Bravo » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:12 pm

It's a pity that cretins also like camping. If you asked them why they went camping they would say they loved nature :$
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Previous

Return to Camping Tips and Locations