How much water...?

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

How much water...?

Postby Komodo » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:19 pm

Well a quick question...

How much water do you guys take with you?

Kel and I always seem to have HEAPS of water left over - or else we dont have enough (well that happened once)

So my question is -

How much water do you take for drinking cooking cleaning etc per person per night.

And how much water do you use if using a "glind" type shower?
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby mytribe » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:33 pm

We usually just take one jerry can for drinking water. All washing up water is collected from what ever river/creek/lake we're staying near.

That's for 2 nights of 6 people, some times we'll come home and the jerry's almost empty depending on the weather, other times there's heaps left.
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:32 pm

20L Jerry can for a weekender, generally go for 5L per person per day. But this blows out if I take my shower as it will go through 10L in no time. Also have a pipe that holds 11L of washing water but don't seem to use that too much these days, I just get a 10L bottle of drinking from the shops and use whats left in the Jerry for washing.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Fonty » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:35 pm

I'm overkill at the moment. We only go for a night but have two esky's, one is mostly full of cold and frozen water bottles. We drink filtered water at home and I prefer it cold so that's how we transport it. I also have a 10 litre jug of bought water as a backup. I also have a 20 litre plastic jerry for washing up which is unfiltered, but haven't needed it on our overnighters this last year. Used it a lot with my first two daughters on the kombi trips we used to have. I also haven't done much cooking on the overnighters, just brought cold stuff with us for wraps and such. So the esky full of drink bottles has been plenty.

And yes I know it's sacriledge to use an esky for something other than beer but as the designated driver on one night trips there's not much point filling the esky with beer on any side of the ice. :lol:
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby Jeeps » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:21 pm

I take between 40-60L (in 20L jerrys) on a trip plus frozen water bottles to use in the esky for the first few days. I have found that we mostly use that 40L or so for washing up and boiling the kettle and we use about 10L per day or less and towards the end of the trip when the frozen water bottles are all drunk or defrosted we use the jerry's water for drinking. I also find that we don't waste much water at all when using the tap in the super dooper kitchen. Before the kitchen we used to just pour water out of the jerry and spill a bit in the process and it didn't last long. On our last 4-5 day trip we had only used 30 litres over that entire time (not including liquids from esky) and that includes washing up 3-4 times per day, boiling the kettle for a cuppa 2-3 times per day.
Jeeps
Captain Camping

Postby reef » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:29 am

do you guys filter your water, if so how ????
Beach, Surf, Family and Fun - pure bliss
reef
Captain Camping

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:13 am

Mines filtered as I fill up from the filter in the kitchen at home.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Fonty » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:09 am

The tap ones are better but mine doesn't fit on the tap I have here so I've been using a filter jug which could also be taken on your trip if you've got a trailer and a kitchen bigger than I have at home to store it in. 8)
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby Jeeps » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:16 pm

Fonty wrote:I've been using a filter jug which could also be taken on your trip if you've got a trailer and a kitchen bigger than I have at home to store it in. 8)

Indeed :)

I don't filter my water. I only use drinkable tap water from my kitchen at home and/or in the bush :)
Jeeps
Captain Camping

Postby HGMonaro » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:01 pm

we (myself, the Mrs and 2 sons) had our 1st 'unconnected' (no power or water) camp over the weekend and so it was our 1st chance to really assess our water use. Our camper has a 60L tank and I took two 20L jerries. The 12V pump in the camper packed it in the moment the wife turned it on so we used the jerries, pouring from them into a bucket and taking that into the camper. We used both jerries and I had to get one bucketfull from the underfloor tank (via the drain tap). The 45 odd litres was used for drinking, washing dishes and washing hands (the wife is clean hands freak!). I think we could have been a bit more economical by washing hands better (was just tipping it over our hands to rinse soap off which is inefficient) but has shown we could manage for 2-3 days with just the camper tank and 4-5 when taking the jerries. Savings could be easily made by using local supplies for washing dishes and hands (which we did have nearby, but we didn't utilise)

Cheers, Nige
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Komodo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:33 pm

Just a little tip for you wife and your self for washing hands

a cap full of detol (or the likes) and a couple of cups / upto 1 litre of water with a tiny tiny amount of soap. Works a treat only empty it once a day and replace.

Hand feel cleaner and they smell cleaner and your using an anticeptic so your hands are free of germs!

Just something I learned on a Jamboree. It also works well in larger camps to wash your dishes with a bit of detol also. Nothing spreads quicker than sickness when on camp.
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby HGMonaro » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:39 pm

was thinking about a 'wash basin' setup... so the Dektol would be a good idea! thanks!
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Komodo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:28 pm

No problems!

Its good to see some of the things I learnt in scouts has paid off. You have no idea the number of times I tie knots and stuff and people look at me either blankly or amazed that I know how to do them. Dont ask me what they are called LOL I just know which ones to use where and when. I can also do splicing of rope (now theres a lost art so to speak).

The other thing I do when camping is setup a straining (wet) pit for our dish water etc to catch food scraps. I put a lid on this at night to keep the wild life out and then I throw the "strainer" on the fire on the last day to get rid of it.

This stops wild life getting into the food scraps and eatting anything potentially dangerous to them and protects or waterways. :?#
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

water

Postby gqpatrol » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:42 pm

80 litres did us (2 adults 15,12,8 yo kids) 2 nights/3 days with one shower each on day two. This was cooking, washing up, drinking etc. Only toilets supplied. We all had a shower + one 13 year old with about 20 litres of water. How about that for water saving. :?# We filled about 10 litres worth of water bottles to take home, and dumped a few litres on the fire to put it out. :lol:
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Postby clackerz » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:18 pm

Komodo wrote:Just a little tip for you wife and your self for washing hands

a cap full of detol (or the likes) and a couple of cups / upto 1 litre of water with a tiny tiny amount of soap. Works a treat only empty it once a day and replace.

Hand feel cleaner and they smell cleaner and your using an anticeptic so your hands are free of germs!

Just something I learned on a Jamboree. It also works well in larger camps to wash your dishes with a bit of detol also. Nothing spreads quicker than sickness when on camp.

Great idea - gonna use it on my next trip
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations