Just found an article about it ... there are quite a few other articles warning about gas heaters in tents and CT's.
We camp throughout the year & have found thermal underwear a great addition to winter camping. We bush camp so have the addition of warming ourselves & cooking on the openfire.
We make our bed up our camper trailer the same as we do at home with a sheepskin underlay, flannelette sheets & doona etc. If it gets colder we have another lightweight doona we throw on.
Make sure you also dress for bed with flannelette PJ's & socks & beanie if it is very cold & don't forget the old hot water bottle or two.
If the kids are on stretchers make sure they have just as much bedding under them as they have on top. A self inflating mattress on the stretcher will also trap their bodyheat as well as a sheepskin underlay & good quality sleeping bags.
Extreme caution should be used when thinking of using a gas heater of this type inside an enclosed area such as a tent or camper trailer http://www.grangerscampingworld.com.au/ ... heater.jpg
Please make sure you have all windows open so fumes with not build up.
Carbon monoxide is a colourless and odourless gas, slightly lighter than air. It is formed whenever any carbon-based substance (which is most substances) is burned with an inadequate supply of air. Even when there is adequate air, carbon monoxide is produced if the burning reaction is only partly complete. Burning anything, but particularly charcoal, in a small enclosed space presents two main dangers.
The first and most serious is carbon monoxide poisoning. Even in small amounts, carbon monoxide is deadly to all warm-blooded animals. A 0.2% concentration can kill within 30 minutes. Carbon monoxide kills like this. Haemoglobin in the blood normally transports all-essential oxygen throughout the body. Unfortunately haemoglobin is massively addicted to picking up carbon monoxide. If there's any around, haemoglobin will grab 250 parts of carbon monoxide for every one part of oxygen. This rapidly deprives the brain and everything else of that vital oxygen. There are only minor indications: headache, nausea, fatigue - and then unconsciousness. If you were asleep at the time, the odds are against your ever waking up again. Carbon monoxide is rightly called the 'silent killer'.
The second hazard is direct oxygen deprivation. Just by breathing we contaminate the air. We take in about a half a cubic metre of air every hour and convert about 4% of that into carbon dioxide. As a result the exhaled carbon dioxide level rises and the available oxygen level falls. The latter can however drop from its normal 21% or so, to as low as 15% before symptoms (such as fatigue) set in. Whilst rarely, if ever, a problem in a home, oxygen deprivation through this cause can be serious in an unventilated space - heated or otherwise.
Catalytic Heaters are a little safer & are recommened as 'Can Be Used In Ventilated Tents'. A gas cartridge can run this type of heater for 8 hours. http://www.grangerscampingworld.com.au/ ... ackcat.bmp
Please still use extreme caution when using this type of heater, even labeled so. Only use in a well ventilated tent area ie all windows open.
The only save type of heating to use inside a tent area is those such as the Webasto Heater. http://www.webasto.com.au/am/en/am_rv_heaters_826.html
Sorry this is a bit long but I feel this is a very strongly on this subject which could save a life.
final word - DO NOT RUN ANY TYPE OF GAS HEATING WHILE YOU SLEEP.