Camping in cooler weather

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Camping in cooler weather

Postby Keeks » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:31 am

We (hubby and kids) are off camping at a holiday park for the first time Easter Monday, for 6 nights and I am praying for warm nights! I am freezing tonight sitting comfortably at home how am I going to be in a tent! lol

Some advice please for cooler weather camping?

Keeks
Keeks
Camping King

Postby jasonb » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:37 am

we do a lot of camping in the cold up here ,it gets to -15 sometimes ,but take lots of blankies,warm clothes and stay in bed until at least 9am,it gets colder when the sun first comes out for about an hour ,oh and you cant forget a big fire :?#
jasonb
Captain Camping

Postby reef » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:32 am

get a tent heater
Beach, Surf, Family and Fun - pure bliss
reef
Captain Camping

Postby mytribe » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:00 am

Rug up. :grin:

This weekend is basically our last chance at camping till later in the year, we don't do wet weather.

Hat's, gloves, coats, extra blankets for the beds and keep busy.
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby garbage » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:29 am

If you do go down the heater path, just make sure it's not gas.
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby Fonty » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:18 am

A good sleeping bag is the key if you're not bringing your doonas and stuff. They cost more but talk to the salesperson and make sure you get one that's rated high enough to keep you warm when you're sleeping. While you're up you need to stay dry to keep warm that means either something like a gortex jacket or if your jacket isn't water proff you can buy some sludge from the camping shop to treat it and make it waterproof. I've used the stuff and it works. Plastic pants are also hand and cheap compared to everything else. Make sure they go over your waterproofed boots! Once your clothes start getting wet things start getting messy around the camp.. that's for the serious wet weather campers.

So basically if you don't mind and actually enjoy trudging around in the wet bush, getting the right wet weather gear is the key to enjoying the rest of the experience. :)
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby Keeks » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:50 pm

Thanks guys.

We are taking blankets but i might just take a couple extra just in case. I don't think our sleeping bags are for winter camping from memory I think they are ok for cooler weather but not winter weather... if that makes sense. Have to pack hats and gloves.

A heater might be the way to go too. Any do's or don'ts with a heater (other than no gas)? Is a plug in element type heater ok?

jasonb -15 temp! Ouch!!! I figure the first morning my boys will be up at the crack of dawn ... then once they see how cold it is outside in the mornings they will change their minds for the next morning! lol fingers crossed!

Wet weather camping is not my intention but knowing Melbourne's weather anything is possible in the week we are away! lol I am hoping this will become an annual event along with 2 weeks away round the xmas school holidays.

Keeks
Keeks
Camping King

Postby Scolers » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:18 pm

PLEASE don't take a tent heater ... they are very dangerous expecially aRound kids. Just rug up and if you can get a fire started unless you are under fire restrictions.

A tent heater is just dangerous (yes I know I said it before but I just felt it needs to be said again).

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Scolers » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:23 pm

Just found an article about it ... there are quite a few other articles warning about gas heaters in tents and CT's.

We camp throughout the year & have found thermal underwear a great addition to winter camping. We bush camp so have the addition of warming ourselves & cooking on the openfire.

We make our bed up our camper trailer the same as we do at home with a sheepskin underlay, flannelette sheets & doona etc. If it gets colder we have another lightweight doona we throw on.

Make sure you also dress for bed with flannelette PJ's & socks & beanie if it is very cold & don't forget the old hot water bottle or two.

If the kids are on stretchers make sure they have just as much bedding under them as they have on top. A self inflating mattress on the stretcher will also trap their bodyheat as well as a sheepskin underlay & good quality sleeping bags.

Extreme caution should be used when thinking of using a gas heater of this type inside an enclosed area such as a tent or camper trailer http://www.grangerscampingworld.com.au/ ... heater.jpg Please make sure you have all windows open so fumes with not build up.

Carbon monoxide is a colourless and odourless gas, slightly lighter than air. It is formed whenever any carbon-based substance (which is most substances) is burned with an inadequate supply of air. Even when there is adequate air, carbon monoxide is produced if the burning reaction is only partly complete. Burning anything, but particularly charcoal, in a small enclosed space presents two main dangers.

The first and most serious is carbon monoxide poisoning. Even in small amounts, carbon monoxide is deadly to all warm-blooded animals. A 0.2% concentration can kill within 30 minutes. Carbon monoxide kills like this. Haemoglobin in the blood normally transports all-essential oxygen throughout the body. Unfortunately haemoglobin is massively addicted to picking up carbon monoxide. If there's any around, haemoglobin will grab 250 parts of carbon monoxide for every one part of oxygen. This rapidly deprives the brain and everything else of that vital oxygen. There are only minor indications: headache, nausea, fatigue - and then unconsciousness. If you were asleep at the time, the odds are against your ever waking up again. Carbon monoxide is rightly called the 'silent killer'.

The second hazard is direct oxygen deprivation. Just by breathing we contaminate the air. We take in about a half a cubic metre of air every hour and convert about 4% of that into carbon dioxide. As a result the exhaled carbon dioxide level rises and the available oxygen level falls. The latter can however drop from its normal 21% or so, to as low as 15% before symptoms (such as fatigue) set in. Whilst rarely, if ever, a problem in a home, oxygen deprivation through this cause can be serious in an unventilated space - heated or otherwise.

Catalytic Heaters are a little safer & are recommened as 'Can Be Used In Ventilated Tents'. A gas cartridge can run this type of heater for 8 hours. http://www.grangerscampingworld.com.au/ ... ackcat.bmp Please still use extreme caution when using this type of heater, even labeled so. Only use in a well ventilated tent area ie all windows open.

The only save type of heating to use inside a tent area is those such as the Webasto Heater. http://www.webasto.com.au/am/en/am_rv_heaters_826.html

Sorry this is a bit long but I feel this is a very strongly on this subject which could save a life.

final word - DO NOT RUN ANY TYPE OF GAS HEATING WHILE YOU SLEEP.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Keeks » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:33 pm

Scolers wrote:PLEASE don't take a tent heater ... they are very dangerous expecially aRound kids. Just rug up and if you can get a fire started unless you are under fire restrictions.

A tent heater is just dangerous (yes I know I said it before but I just felt it needs to be said again).

Cheers ...

Scol.

No open fires unfortunately :(

I have the same fears with heaters don't worry. We know only too well the danger of fire and about burns to the body as it's happened to a close family member. So they are pretty much fire smart. But I know they are only kids and it just takes a second.

I was thinking along the lines that once the kids settle down we could put it on for a bit while we were still up.

Keeks
Keeks
Camping King

Postby Keeks » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:54 pm

Scolers wrote:Just found an article about it ... there are quite a few other articles warning about gas heaters in tents and CT's.

We camp throughout the year & have found thermal underwear a great addition to winter camping. We bush camp so have the addition of warming ourselves & cooking on the openfire.

We make our bed up our camper trailer the same as we do at home with a sheepskin underlay, flannelette sheets & doona etc. If it gets colder we have another lightweight doona we throw on.

Make sure you also dress for bed with flannelette PJ's & socks & beanie if it is very cold & don't forget the old hot water bottle or two.

If the kids are on stretchers make sure they have just as much bedding under them as they have on top. A self inflating mattress on the stretcher will also trap their bodyheat as well as a sheepskin underlay & good quality sleeping bags.

final word - DO NOT RUN ANY TYPE OF GAS HEATING WHILE YOU SLEEP.

Our oldest will be wearing thermals for sure, he feels the cold.

Good point about the stretchers!

We are actually trying to decide what we should get for underneath their sleeping bags for comfort. The younger ones have the bunks and the older one has a stretcher. I have two big pieces of sheepskin left over from their pram days so i could use them ontop of one of those blue/white stripey mattresses from Rays Outdoors and their sleeping bags and blankets. The oldest with a woollen underlay ontop of that mattress. We have one of those plug in blow up bed but haven't decided on our set up yet other than blankets and sleeping bags.

And I promise no gas heating. Only gas we will be using is to run the Coleman Roadtrip grill. I am too much of a scaredy cat to have anything else on gas. Promise. :)

Keeks
Keeks
Camping King

Postby Komodo » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:11 pm

Meh winter. This is the sign of the start of the camping season for me and Kel :P
Warm clothes. My advice is more thiner layers rather than fewer thicker layers. get the boys to run around they'll soon warm up!
Space blanket over the top of the sleeping bag / doonas
warm drink before bed. Lots of warm "hearty" type meals cassaroles, roasts, curries and the likes. Not too much "sugary" drinks as these tend to make you sleepy after a short burst of energy - sleepy = feeling the cold more!

Thick socks, good shoes / boots and some where to dry shoes off when they get wet. and a change of shoes ;)

I personally dont wear thermies very often (its gotta be bloody cold) - but they are excellent for any one who does feel the cold majorly
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Kramer » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:32 pm

What is this cold weather you guys talk about?? I have never felt it?

I shouldn't say too much or they all will be coming up here.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Komodo » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:55 pm

Kramer come up here and I'll show ya :P

Up at Baw Baw last week it was about 3 degrees - or there abouts. Cold enough to make the lock on the toilet hard to open due to the frost :P
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Scolers » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:04 pm

It can get cold over here too ... actually got down to 5 the other night.
When we go to the Goldfields we take two doona's ... the wife needs it but I sweat like a stuffed pig. I also have a large 'great coat' that I absolutely love wearing.

:?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations