Camping in cooler weather

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Postby mytribe » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:41 pm

I tried to post this earlier today, I know it's not a heater but thought it may be relevant to this thread.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/20 ... 742436.htm

This is one reason why the only gas we use when camping is for the 2 burner stove sitting on the back of the trailer.
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby Jok » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:43 pm

When I was in Rovers(scouting) we used to help run a couple of
snow weekends up Mt Stirling(Vic).
We would build igloos sometimes- lot of work and time. They are warmer
than a lot of tents, and much more spacious.
For sleeping we would lay a space blanket down first then a closed
cell foam sleeping mat, then sleeping bag on top. My sleeping bag
is a Fairydown, rated at -12, well it was when I bought it in 1983.
It still gets used now by my youngest boy, but no snow work anymore!
For clothing, as Komodo said earlier, lots of thin layers works best, thermals if you need them.
Coats such as Swan dry and Drizabone(or other brands) come in handy too. Would often use the driza over a swannee, moleskins, and a flannel,a beanee, good socks etc, toastee warm in all temps.
Jok
Jok
Camping King

Postby Keeks » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:52 am

mytribe wrote:I tried to post this earlier today, I know it's not a heater but thought it may be relevant to this thread.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/20 ... 742436.htm

This is one reason why the only gas we use when camping is for the 2 burner stove sitting on the back of the trailer.

I am with you on that.
We are buying a new smaller 5kg bottle as we only have a 9kg with our bbq at home and it's going up there empty in the car (station wagon) and hopefully comeback empty or with very little gas in it. Tell you the truth I am scared of gas bottles. Hubby will have to be turning it on and off for me cause I am too paranoid of doing something wrong with it.

Keeks
Keeks
Camping King

Postby gqpatrol » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:46 am

:roll:
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Postby Keeks » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:06 pm

gqpatrol wrote::roll:

:P :)
Keeks
Camping King

Postby gqpatrol » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:21 pm

Sorry, I was so busy trying to get the right emoticon, I wiped my message. I was going to say get a smaller bottle than a 5kg, as a 2kg lasts us ages. I have been trying to empty it by cooking tea on it all week. It still wasn't empty today, but I want a full gas bottle to take away, so we got it filled up. Unless you're running a gas fridge or cooking up a storm breakfast lunch and tea, 5kg will probably last a month of camping. Our 2kg lasts us numerous long weekend trips, and that's bush camping where we're heating water for showers, gas lighting, cooking etc. If gas freaks you out a 5kg bottle is overkill and not necessary. Get a smaller one if you want to run it out quick. :lol:
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo@home » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:28 pm

Filling your car with petrol is more dangerous than gas.

People have this fear of gas for some reason. Where I live we have bottled gas and I also used to decant gas into smaller gass bottles (1.5 - 9kg bottles) for work - so i guess im used to it. But people need to understand that as long as you take all the pre cautions necisary then gas is a very safe fuel.

We take 2x2kg gas bottles - we use gas for lighting cooking & heating water (where open fires arent allowed) i reacon for 10-15 nights under canvas we've filled 1 bottle once and the other bottle was almost full when i went to fill it on friday.
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby Jeeps » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:41 am

We (my wife and our little one) go through a 9kg gas bottle and my 4.5kg camper trailor bottle every 2-3 weeks :)

I have found gas to be very safe to use, however in the carpark at my local shopping centre on saturday i arrived after the fire brigade were leaving to see a brand new ford ute burnt to a crisp, the alloy tray melted. Apparently he had just done a 'swap & go' at the servo over the road and as he was entering the carpark to the bottle shop the bottle became loose and the tap was knocked off and gas started bellowing out and it ignited and the force from the gas was forcing the bottle around the empty alloy tray with a massive flame following it. Apparently the driver spent easter in hospital with burns. You should have seen that alloy tray :shock:
Jeeps
Captain Camping

Postby clackerz » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:32 pm

We take a sleeping bag each (to -5) and a doona. Wear warm clothes/sox to bed (even thermals will help).
Another tip: take an old blanket and lay it underneath the mattress - stops any coldness coming through from the ground.
I'm actually very (sometimes too warm) warm during the night (that's for around 5 degrees).
We bought the kids each a polar fleece jumpsuit with feet. Very cheap at Best 'n' Less, and the eldest has a sleeping bag and a polar fleece sleep sack and he is very toasty. The youngest is the same with a few extra thin blankets in his porta-cot.
That's my 5c
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Postby Woodsy » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:00 pm

My GF & I camped for 1 night at Soldiers Point. We did'nt finish setting up till dark and then the rain & wind came not just any wind gail force wind. We were sleeping on a air mattress with the tent floor below us and a tarp below that. I have a Army sleeping bag and i was freezing!

Cheers

Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Previous

Return to Camping Tips and Locations