Camping in cooler weather

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Cold

Postby gqpatrol » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:06 pm

What is cold? And I don't think I can really remember what wet is. Hang on, drinks are wet!! :beer :beer . We don't camp much in summer because it's too hot. Easter will be our first trip in months. Very pleasant with temps between about 18 - 29 c. Lovely.
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:44 pm

Scol I hope your wearing clothes under that coat :P :?
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Scolers » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:56 pm

Does a pair of gumboots count?

:booty

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Komodo » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:57 pm

I always thought you were a shady character :***
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Fonty » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:44 pm

I forgot about thermal underwear I used to wear that when I lived in Ballarat for a while. Really toasty, still very important to keep it all dry.

If you've got a big outside setup and can't have an open fire you could hunt around for one of those big old gas cylindar heaters. They use them in factories and can be used outdoors too, they have come down in price a lot in the last few years.

I tried to use a space blanket once but the condensation was a killer- how do you avoid that?

I'm with you though kramer, the cold doesn't bother me much after wintering on a mountain in Healesville about ten years back. Haven't worn a jumper since and go year round in shorts, tank top and bare feet whenever I can get away with it. I've also swum in a bay in Hobart in July. That was rather bracing and a lot of fun. :grin:
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:04 pm

I know its pretty dangerous but on the odd occasion when i've actually been in a tent, and it was cold, I lit up the gas cooker inside (yeah I know, can hear the screams of horror from here :mrgreen:) ... but it was really warm :armsup

Just take thermals as mentioned, stay dry, and get some decent sleeping bags and/or doona's. Try to put a few layers of 'stuff' between you and the ground too, as the coldness from the earth seems to permeate just a tarp and mattress.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Fonty » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:17 pm

It's true camper boy, stoves are warm!

I think it's due to the fire in them. :lol:

I read somewhere that even one candle will raise the temperature in an igloo several degrees. I not sure though, but I think igloos aren't as flammable as tents.
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:34 pm

Fonty wrote:It's true camper boy, stoves are warm!

I think it's due to the fire in them. :lol:

I read somewhere that even one candle will raise the temperature in an igloo several degrees. I not sure though, but I think igloos aren't as flammable as tents.

I wouldn't doubt it. I had my backpacker stove on low, in freezing cold, in my 2 person tent and it got very very warm very quick, and that was a poorly designed, crappilly insulated cheap tent :lol: Igloo's are meant to be pretty heat efficient.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Derek Bullock » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:05 pm

Komodo wrote:Kramer come up here and I'll show ya :P

Up at Baw Baw last week it was about 3 degrees - or there abouts. Cold enough to make the lock on the toilet hard to open due to the frost :P

Hi Komodo

I was in Vic last weekend and went for a drive to Mount Baw Baw. Was only a drive in and out but beautiful country. Is there camping allowed up there.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby jasonb » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:12 pm

oohhhh you bunch of sooks :*** it averages -15 up here in winter and its just starting too arive
are we there yet ?
jasonb
Captain Camping

Postby Jeeps » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:12 pm

Anything less than 20 degrees is cold :)
Jeeps
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo@home » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:32 am

To be honest derek I dont know if you can "legally" camp up there. I know quite a few hikers who do camp up around there during summer. But certainly in the state forest surrounding you can.
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby reef » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:40 am

I have only seen heaters in the camping stores, thought they were a good idea. I never even thought about tents being flammable or even my kids knocking them over - after reading your thoughts there is no way I will ever buy one, rugging up will be fine for us !
Beach, Surf, Family and Fun - pure bliss
reef
Captain Camping

Postby Keeks » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

Scolers wrote:Does a pair of gumboots count?

:booty

Scol.

Lol :grin:
Keeks
Camping King

Postby Keeks » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:30 pm

jasonb wrote:oohhhh you bunch of sooks :*** it averages -15 up here in winter and its just starting too arive

Ouch!
That would rule me out from camping!

I reckon anything lower than 15 would have me running... boy am I in for a rude awakening next week! ::()

Keeks
Keeks
Camping King

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Tips and Locations