all your help

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

all your help

Postby jasonb » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:46 am

hey guys been tossing up whether to go to lightning ridge as ive wantedto go there for years but im just worried how the kids will go up there being 9,7,4, or should i wait until there older or will it be ok ,i dont want one of them fallin in a hole or something ,we do a lot of fossicking around inverell for saphirres,up nundle for gold and places like that but nothin so open with the mines and stuff ,,thanx
are we there yet ?
jasonb
Captain Camping

Postby Fonty » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:03 am

Don't wait. If you do they will find the opposite sex and piercings and won't want anything to do with your camping! Get them doing it while they're young, the risks are minimal with two parents looking after them. Teach them what you know, get them involved in putting up the camp, even if it's just collecting wood for the fire, whatever they want to do to help out. And while they are learning that you can sneak in your safety rules.
Just don't assume they know not to go chasing lizards under logs and rocks... I didn't know not to do that when I was ten! lol I chased a blue tongue under three or four sheets of roofing iron before I caught him on my brothers farm one hot summer day. Never occurred to me reaching under a hot piece of tin was a bad idea. City kids, what do you do with them? lol
So just give them a few safety rules and since camping is new to them they'll find plenty of safe fun out there. They can just as easily fall in a hole down the local park as they can out camping. :)
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby Blue Bravo » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:23 pm

Lightning Ridge is pretty safe. There are areas set aside for fossicking ie large dumps of dirt to sift through set up by the tourist bureau. You aren't allowed to wander into the claims as this is a good way of getting shot. Opals live under ground and thus have to be mined not panned for. When you are there get a mud map and take the car door tours. Als take a trip out to Grawin Fileds and stop in at the Club in The Scrub, The Sheepyard Inn etc. A facinating place to visit. :?#
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Camping Tips and Locations