Camping spots near rivers (Victoria)

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Camping spots near rivers (Victoria)

Postby chet » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:10 pm

Hiya, just signed up to camping.com.au :)

I went camping a few weeks ago at Lerderderg Gorge, and was hoping to camp near a river. But we got there and it was bone dry - very sad to see. Does anyone know of any good spots around Victoria that actually have any water (lakes, streams etc)?

Also - would anyone know if you can camp near Mackenzie Falls in the Grampians? The only info I can find on camping in the Grampians is here.

cheers,
Andrew
chet

Postby mytribe » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:01 pm

This site should be able to help you

http://users.tpg.com.au/viccamp/vicnatalpha.html

We've camped at Murrindindi, Jerusalem Creek, just out of Jamieson, Rubicon, and several of the Big River camping spots, there's water in all the rivers/creeks, although Lake Eildon is quite low at the moment.
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby Fonty » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:54 pm

I've been looking around for the same chet. I've started close to Melbourne and am now looking further out. I'm off to the Cathedral Ranges on the weekend- there is a river there but the swimming holes were just holes 10/15 years ago so may have disappeared now too, I'll let you know. Yarra River up past Warburton has a very nice swimming hole. There is a pay-for camping ground up the top of the Yarra if you like that sort of thing. Last time I went there the march flies sent us packing though, even swimming I couldn't escape them. It's probably cooled down enough to camp near there now though I never checked if camping outside the actual pay-for site is legal. :shock:

It is sad about Lerderderg Gorge, that was my first camping trip following the river up past the dam gates and exploring the old gold mine caves. You could still do that but no more swimming till this damn drought is history. I was only 17 on my first trip there and the river was deep and strong enough that we chose to scale the cliff next to the ford rather than brave it! And now all you find is a few smelly pools.

Let me know how you go with your search. :)

Andrew.
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby Derek Bullock » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:59 pm

How things change over the years. Recently I visited an area where I grew up. Hadn't seen the place for around 45 years. One fond memory was the "creek" nearby where we used to fish for bass. Imagine my surprise when the photo below is what was left of it. The photo was taken from a bridge where I recall my brother pulling in a 5 pound bass.

Derek

Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Blue Bravo » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:26 pm

From memory the closest you'll get to McKenzie Falls will be in Halls Gap.
Hope the areas recovered from the bush fires as it is a lovely area. :?
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Fonty » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:37 pm

You just need a lawnmower to catch those Bass now Derek. :armsup
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby HGMonaro » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:17 pm

lot of places are dry at the moment. Maybe get the 'Rooftops' maps for areas that you're interested/willing to travel to, locate some potential sites and then ask on the more popular internet sites to get some recent knowledge. What looks good on a map isn't always so!
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby clackerz » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:40 pm

mytribe wrote:This site should be able to help you

http://users.tpg.com.au/viccamp/vicnatalpha.html

We've camped at Murrindindi, Jerusalem Creek, just out of Jamieson, Rubicon, and several of the Big River camping spots, there's water in all the rivers/creeks, although Lake Eildon is quite low at the moment.

The Big River has water - I was there a couple of weeks ago.
Nice spot too!
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Glenelg River

Postby jfamily » Tue May 08, 2007 4:18 pm

Hi, We camped along the Glenelg river over Easter, was awesome, lots of water, great for kids to swim (and wash in). Contact parks Vic office in Nelsen to check if you need to book. About 4hrs from Melb, highly recommend it.
jfamily

Postby mytribe » Tue May 08, 2007 5:33 pm

Nelson is way further away than 4hrs :*** (but then I guess it all depends on which part of Melb you're talking about)

I went camping at some camping ground at Nelson years ago, but seeing as I used to live only an hour away there was no need to.

Some lovely fishing spots down that way.
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby chet » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:19 pm

thanks for the tips guys. just a bump to see if anyone has found anywhere else of late.

it is a little cold to be out camping, but I'm sure with a fire, it'd be great fun.
chet

Murray - Strathmerton - Ulupna Isl

Postby jfamily » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:39 am

Hi there,
We just got back from camping at Ulupna Island (nth of Strathmerton) over Queen's b'day weekend... was caravan city up there! We found a spot and set up our tent (new one after losing our old one on the Glenelg somewhere!!) and had a fantastic weekend. I remembered the glass replacement for our gas lantern, but forgot the gas lantern bit!! So no light, but no prob! My 8yo son found a few other kids to play with, we had a koala resident in the tree for the whole weekend who sneezed a lot, the young blokes camping next to us (death metal music, Missy higgins and classical - eclectic taste fellas!) gave us some fresh water crays... I cooked the best roast ever - cooked in the camp oven - thanks Derek for the hints on your website ;)http://www.aussiecampovencook.com/ The boys went swimming and said it was the coldest they'd ever felt... We sat in front of a fire all weekend, did nothing but talk, play pictionary with other kids along the river, and did our bit to save water - lots of beer and wine...All in all, a brilliant weekend away, bit far for 3 days though... We'll be back there in September if anyone wants to join us (this time with 5 kids aged 13 - 7) Maps avail at parkweb.vic.gov.au go directly to "Barmah".
jfamily

Return to Camping Tips and Locations