camping with dogs around Perth

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

camping with dogs around Perth

Postby poppy dog » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:21 pm

Hello everyone. I am new to this site and fairly new to camping. We have had a few attempts with varying success and a tent which is gathering dust in the garage!! We have decided now is the time to get out and go for it, only we now have a dog who we would love to bring too. I am having a really hard time to find a suitable place to camp with 2 small kiddies (9 and 4) and a dog!! Any ideas anyone?? We live in Perth but really dont want to travel too far on our first time with poochy. I may be a lost cause, but I won't know until I try!! :grin:
poppy dog

Postby Scolers » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:17 pm

How far do you want to go?

Cervantes is approx. 2.5 hrs away and is very dog freindly.

Head south and you'll find a couple of parks in Bunbury that are also dog freindly.

Head East and just about every caravan park is dog freindly!

I'm sure you also know that dogs and naitonal parks don't mix which limits the places you can go which is why I am suggesting caravan parks.

There's heaps out there just have a look.

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Camping with dogs

Postby magsinoz » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:13 am

I like Dwellingup - The Lane Poole Reserve. Its very basic- you need to take everything. No good if you don't like to rough it. Only facilities are toilets ( non flushing) , fire pits with a cast iron cooking plate and picnic tables. Baby wipes come in very handy. Dogs have to be on a leash at all times, so take a rope tie it between the trees and clip the lead on it so the dog can run up and down. Some campsites are very close to the river where you can swim, fish and canoe ( hire kayaks from Dwellingup - reasonable rates). It can get busy in the school holidays and long weekends. My children live in the river in the summer and love the fire pits in the winter. The fire ban hasn't been lifted yet, but may finish on 14th April ( not decided yet). When fires are allowed a truck comes around selling wood ( no collecting firewood in the reserve). A great place we love it.
Maggie
magsinoz

Thanks

Postby poppy dog » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:45 pm

Thanks for the recommendations! I will certainly try them out in the coming months! We found a place out in toodyay and went up for a couple of nights over the easter. It was great and not nearly as stressful as I imagined it to be! The dog was so well behaved it was scary!! We all had a great time and the kids keep asking when we can go again, so all round a very successful trip! :armsup
poppy dog

Dog Friendly sites

Postby magsinoz » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:57 am

I am going to check out a few places that I have found.
http://www.pinnaclescaravanparkcervantes.com.au - at Cervantes
http://www.fourseasonsresort.com.au/fourseasons.htm - at Bussleton
http://www.jurienbaytouristpark.com.au - Jurien Bay
http://www.mandalayresort.com.au - Bussleton

I haven't tried any of them yet - but all advertise as dog friendly. It would be a real change for us to have "amenities". A shower block sounds like a real luxury to us. I would however really miss cooking over the fire pits. Food tastes heavenly on a cold morning, with the smell of bacon sizzling on the hot plate and damper fresh from the camp oven is a real favourite with my kids. The real benefit for us at Dwellingup is no electronic gadgets and being out of mobile phone range. My children have discovered the simple things again, making friends with other children, ball games, toasting marshmallows, swimming, kayaking, cards, board games, "murder in the dark" - running around the trees at night with torches and "yabbie hunting" - going to the river at night with torches to look for yabbies in the river. I can relax and read a book ( when my computer has been surgically removed) with no guilt whatsoever.
Where did you stay in Toodyay ? What was it like ?
Maggie
magsinoz

Postby Scolers » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:33 pm

I've been to Cervantes and Jurien. Cervantes is a favourite haunt and love it. Jetties, beach dunes quite a bit and not as touristy as Jurien.

Jurien is ok ... but not going back in a hurry as I find it very 'yuppy'. It's quite commercial there whereas Cervantes is used by ppl as a quick stopover. The sites at Jurien are very small ... couldn't get all of the annexe on the site. So now we just go to Cervantes and trip up to Jurien for a half day.

Another spot about 10 mins north of Jurien is Sandy Cape. It's not a van park (although you can take a van there) so it has no power. It does have toilets and a lovely expense of beach. The best thing is the cost ... $11/night per couple. If you go to Cervantes or Jurien check it out ... it's very accessible and I don't think you'll be disspointed. All depends on your cup of tea.

Also, check your essage box ... ;)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Cervantes

Postby magsinoz » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:45 pm

Thanks for the info on Cervantes.
We have decided to go there today - so I'm packing now. I will check out Sandy Cape while I am there - that sounds my type of place.
Maggie
magsinoz

Re: Cervantes

Postby Scolers » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:55 pm

magsinoz wrote:Thanks for the info on Cervantes.
We have decided to go there today - so I'm packing now. I will check out Sandy Cape while I am there - that sounds my type of place.

If you have a 4wd go to the beaches south of Cervantes ... they are great fun ... but make sure you let the tyres down as it is likely to be getting soft this time of year.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Re: Dog Friendly sites

Postby poppy dog » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:06 pm

Hi Maggie

I have been to Mandalay, but before we had a dog and we stayed in a chalet. It was a lovely place and judging by the pictures the camping gound looks great too. I wasnt aware you could take dogs until I saw your thread! I would go back again with ours!
While down there we popped into Four seasons (as we knew we were getting our Pooch and was planning ahead!!) but I wasnt very impressed, I must admit.! It looked very run down and unkempt, but that was about a year ago. I suggest mandalay first then pop into four seasons and have a look, see for yourself.

In Toodyay we stayed in Moondyne caravan park. A great place for someone not as well camped as myself!! It was fairly quiet and the sites were nestled among loads of trees, but it had a toilets, showers and a small kitchen. Everything was very clean. I would definitely recommend it. Its on racecourse road opposite the golf club. Not to be mixed up with Toodyay caravan park as this is the first place you get to as you arrive in Toodyay. Hoever that looked quite good as well. I think they are run by the same people.

This link has both

http://www.toodyaycaravanparks.com.au/
poppy dog

Return to Camping Tips and Locations