Things I have learnt ....

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Things I have learnt ....

Postby TwistedTania » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:44 pm

For us newbies ..... can you tell us what you have learn t .... like what to take and what not too take. I remember when I first started camping in the scouting movement I would pack everything but the kitchen sink, I learnt very quickly. After one very wet weekend when we got hit by a freak storm and everything , and I mean everything go soaked I would pack each days clothes in a ziplock bag. This used to be good also for younger campers - no dropping undies :grin: . I am not sure if it would be useful for everyday camping.

Tania :mrgreen:
TwistedTania

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:07 pm

I used to do the exact opposite, hardly take ANYTHING :lol: . Which became a real pain, sort of leveled out now and most of my gear rides in the back of my car all the time, and just throw the bulky things + fresh food in when I want to go away, so I don't forget much now :mrgreen:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Scolers » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:38 pm

If your walking ... take only what you need .. if you are in the car and have a trailer (or CT) take the lot!

Before we got our CT we had to be conservative in what we took with us ... we just had a RAV 4 at the time and a largish tent. We had to be vry careful how we packed and what we packed. Now, most stuff is already in the CT apart from clothes and food and even then we still have room for some essentials that my wife likes to take (such as the sewing machine!).

I guess one of the things we learnt was not to rush into buying stuff. Over a 12-18month period we slowly built our kit up and finally have just about everything we need (with the exception of a camp fridge but we can hire those for next to nothing). We would sit back at our camping destination and look at our (then) kit and just chat about what we could do to make it better. It pretty well worked and we now have a good little set-up that's suits us well.

Hope this helps.

8)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Komodo@home » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:34 pm

Well for Kel and I it started off as a trip where neither of us knew what either of us had (we had only been seeing one another a short period of time) and we went away for 2 nights. Well we survived and we could continue camping that way if we wanted but we have slowly added extra tables, a shower, a new bed (inflatable oh yeah!), camp (dutch) oven, extra gas light, trap for the kitchen and a waeco 80L fridge.

So we have a nice little rig - I'd like to set up a small trailer with a similar track to the 'trol to keep all the gear in so its ready to go styraight away - but i keep geeting an evil eye when i suggest that...

Camper trailer though I am still looking to get eventually
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby Jeeps » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:53 am

Komodo@home wrote:I'd like to set up a small trailer with a similar track to the 'trol to keep all the gear in so its ready to go styraight away -

That's what we've done. Up until we bought the trailor i had to spend the day before going through the camping gear and packing the car - it was enjoyable but time consuming. Now, all i have to do before we go away is slide the kitchen out and pack it with food & put back any utensils i have stolen for home and then pack the esky, fill up the water and hitch the trailor on the car.

2 weeks ago was our first test of this, we decided late the night before that would go away in the morning and we were off after about 45mins of double checking a few things, packing the esky and kitchen and getting clothes organised. It actually went well and we had a good time :armsup
Jeeps
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:00 am

Sounds good! Now just to convince Kel :P

I think the thing that puts her off the idea of a trailer is that its getting a little close to the "caravan" mentality - and both of us HATE caravans.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby mytribe » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:06 pm

Things I have learnt...do not take 4 children camping with you if you can help it :***
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby clackerz » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:07 pm

I'm a minimal and my wife will take the lot (although I do try and accomodate her needs to get her to go camping).
Last trip we borrowed a trailer (previous trips have been x2 cars) and although we took heaps it wasn't so bad with the trailer - so if it makes you comfortable and it fits - take it!
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Postby JM1375 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:28 pm

Oh dear - I'm obviously headed for the "take the kitchen sink" style of camping, because DH has decided to borrow a 4WD for our upcoming camping trip.

Of course, could just be because DH wants to convince me to get a 4B..... :lol:
JM1375
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:57 pm

Do it :P get one!
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby JM1375 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:36 pm

Komodo wrote:Do it :P get one!

Yeah - must admit, I am starting to cave... it does seem like a good idea....

It seems that the camping bug has bitten (although, I haven't actually been yet, so check back with me in a fortnight!!) :lol:
JM1375
Captain Camping

Postby mytribe » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:18 pm

Do it, get a 4wd, we got ours nearly 18 months ago and it was the best thing we've ever done.

We used to go bush camping in an old Tarago and well some of the roads weren't quite what the girl was used to :***

Now we have much more options of where we can go, as long as the 6X4 trailer we tow with all the gear can handle it.
mytribe
Post Machine!

Litchen sink

Postby magsinoz » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:35 am

I tend to take too much on the grounds that what I don't take I will need. I now have a 4WD with a pod on the top and I am looking at a trailer!. The best thing I have done is buy extra cooking utensils - so I don't forget the can opener or sharp knife etc. All the crockery, cutlery and general camping gear is kept in large plastic storage containers so I don't have to pack/unpack every time . That has saved me a lot of work. I love to cook over the camp fires and would never be without my camp ovens. I take children ( mine and borrowed ones) and two dogs, so I always pack cards and board games and lots of torches and spare batteries. Never forget the corkscrew or bottle opener - or the wine/beer to go with them and huge quantities of canned drinks.
I am most definitely not a minimalist, but may be a masochist taking extra children as well as my own camping!
Maggie
magsinoz

Postby reef » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:24 am

We have it all packed in tubs - the loose stuff and hubby has a 4.6m cuddy cab boat - that is our trailer, everything goes in that, plus when we get there we unpack it all and have a boat to cruise around in and catch great fish, explore rivers - it is unreal, so before you run out and buy camper trailers think about a tent and a boat - awesome fun ! But we always camp near a river, dam, beach etc, boat idea probably not so good if you are into the outback !
Beach, Surf, Family and Fun - pure bliss
reef
Captain Camping

Postby Kramer » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:13 am

Yep plastic containers are the go, we have quite a few of them now, one for the electrical gear, one for the plates, cups, cutlery, one for the cooking pots and camp ovens etc and another for all our dry food. They stack well in either the car or trailer, mine are just solly's specials and have lasted thousands of k's on corrugations and all but are looking a little worse for wear now.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations