Things I have learnt ....

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Postby Derek Bullock » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:57 pm

Folks

If you are going to use plastic tubs, go to Big W and buy the light blue Classique Collection 20 and 30 litre ones. I have a few of these and they are very robust with clip on lids.

At the recent Albury Camping Show I noticed a number of camper trailer manufacturers are starting to use them in their slide out drawers.

Australian made to boot and reasonably priced.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Jeeps » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:35 pm

I have learnt that to enjoy camping you need to take less. I know it sounds crazy coming from me with my kitchen setup but i got tired of all the plastic boxes, having to sort through them, make them fit in the car/trailor etc. The kitchen is one thing that sits there in the trailor or at the campsite and i don't have go through boxes to find what i need, i think of it as one big organised box. The tarp is a bit of gear but once it's up you're glad you bought it along. I used to take gadgets and nick knacks in case i got bored but i never needed them, a book is all i need these days but still take my radio scanner sometimes and my kite at the beach. We now take the DVD player for bubby for her playschool dvd's.

Preparation is important. I used to write everything down but i always forgot something. Sometimes i still wrtie stuff down if i remember it at work or worried about forgeting it or whatever before a trip but generally i try to visualize the last campsite. I sit out the back with my gear as i pack it and imagine i'm walking around the campsite looking at stuff i use or need. I walk around the campsite in circles thinking "yes i've got that, yes i've got that, no i'll go get that right now". I find this works well for me because i remember what all my gear looked like in the last campsite. Now i have a trailor everything pretty much stays there anyway, except for clothes and pillows and stuff ;)
Jeeps
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo@home » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:40 am

Good Advice Jeeps!

We are now starting to cut back on some of our gear we have in boxes - it seems we take a lot of stuff because it was put in a box for one particular camping trip. then instead of taking it out and replacing it with something for the next trip weve just added to out collection in the box - then we added to the collection of boxes!
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby Jeeps » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:05 am

i wanted to get a rack for the trailor to carry more gear but my mrs said NO because have previously limited ourselves to what goes under the tonneau. If it all doesn't fit we've got too much :)
Jeeps
Captain Camping

Postby reef » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:11 am

Hubbys boat is my trailer. Boat is most important, then fishing gear, then more fishing gear, then more, then his beer then I get what is left ! Love it - not !
Beach, Surf, Family and Fun - pure bliss
reef
Captain Camping

Postby mytribe » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:52 am

Our trailer is a 6x4, but it has a large cage on it that hubby built, so we just pile everything in, sometimes if we take the kids bikes and scooters it reaches the top :***

Now he's just wondering how he can mange to get the motorbike in there as well, so he can come in the car :***
mytribe
Post Machine!

Previous

Return to Camping Tips and Locations