keeping food cold???

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

keeping food cold???

Postby skip » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:05 pm

hello ive just been caping a few times but now iam guna start to get back in to it again, every time ive gone camping i have the problem of keeping the food and drinks cold what do you use and are there any secrets? i usaly use ice but it melts to with in the 1st day.
skip
Captain Camping

Postby Scolers » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:29 pm

I'm guessing you're using an esky? If you get an ice box the ice will generally last 3-4 days. Approx. price for a decent one is around the $200 mark ... brand and size depending. If you have money you can always buy a camp fridge ... prices range from aorund the $900 mark and go up exponentially!

There is an ice box for sale on this forum ... in Sydney ...

Good Luck!

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Jeeps » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:30 pm

I have a 60L fibreglass esky ($300). It has baskets to keep more delicate foods up out of any ice/water.

The trick with this type of esky is to freeze 3x 2L bottles of coke and a day or two before you go away put one of them in to chill the insulation down. Then on the morning you go away, take out the mostly melted 2L bottle and replace it with the 2x frozen bottles and pack all your cold food from your fridge. Anything that's to go in the eksy needs to be pre-chilled this includes any drinks. In summer those measly 2x frozen coke bottles will last in the fibreglass esky for at least 3-4 days and in colder months it'll last for 1-2 weeks. So there's no need to buy ice unless it's really hot, the lid gets opened a lot or you're staying for ages.

so remember, chill the esky down before you put food in, pre-freeze some solid blocks of ice as they last longer than party/cube ice, the more full the eksy with food the longer the ice will last, and don't open the lid unless you have to :)
Jeeps
Captain Camping

Postby jasonb » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:27 pm

i had an old fridge freezer that blew up so what i did was to cut off the freezer part and mounted it on wheels and it will keep ice frozen for 4-5 days even with the kids in and out of it ,just one drawback is its heavy ,
are we there yet ?
jasonb
Captain Camping

Postby clackerz » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:45 pm

I bought a 4 day esky ($200) and it works fine. I'm gonna get another to separate the drinks and food (the esky gets opened alot to get drinks) so this way the food one will last longer.
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Postby Karicher » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:23 pm

We just recently brought an ice box and it is soooooo much better then an esky! If you can afford one, they are well worth the money and will last you for years!

The tip is to freeze water in take away containers, tupperware, ice-cream conatiners, margerine containers or whatever. Then when your ready to stock your esky, line the bottom of the esky with the big blocks of frozen water ( take them out of the containers). They will last much longer then ice cubes. The put your food on top and we still cover with normal ice or as many ice blocks as we have frozen!
Mel
Karicher
Boy Scout

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:51 pm

Scolers wrote:There is an ice box for sale on this forum ... in Sydney ...

Good Luck!

Scol.

viewtopic.php?t=1228 :mrgreen:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Spend the money - go the fridge

Postby geekcampgirl » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:55 pm

Hi,

We have done the lot in terms of eskies and ice boxes and gave up in frustration.

We saved the pennies and bought a Waeco (am I allowed to give brands?). Just perfect. For two of us, it holds everything we need and have been two weeks from 'civilisation' without anything going off. I would never go back to anything else. Cost about $1000, cant remember the size.

Admittedly it is large and heavy, and the added costs were to purchase the inverter (for when we are near power and not going to use the car for a day or two) and the extra battery and setup costs on the ute.

We have a removeable battery to charge the fridge, mounted on the tray of the ute. Battery plugs into wiring, fridge plugs into battery. Battery also has two extra power outlets so we can still run battery fluoro for light to see and inverter for laptop or camera battery charger. Never had to push start the ute yet.

It holds the milk, cheese, vegies, fruit and meat if we are being carnivores for the while. We put two beers in in the morning to have with lunch and then two more to be cold by sit down time in the evening. And some wine of course.

Just make sure that all containers are plastic or glass, though. Milk cartons tend to lose their bottoms through the vibrations and grating as can cans of softdrink or beer.
geekcampgirl
Camping King

Postby skip » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:50 pm

ok so iam thinking of getin a ice box how good are the ice kool ones from eva kool?
skip
Captain Camping

Postby CCC » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:42 pm

also to add to this subject

does anyone have any input on the 'Avid Outdoor' 60 Litre Marine Ice Box for $110 from Big W ?
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby katthing » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:54 pm

How good is dry ice when camping in an ice box? Does it freeze to well? does it ruin the ice box?

I used to use dry ice to transport fish from Darwin to Perth on an aircraft and ruined a few cooler bags! lol
wife to one, mum to two
katthing
Camping King

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:54 am

katthing wrote:How good is dry ice when camping in an ice box? Does it freeze to well? does it ruin the ice box?

I used to use dry ice to transport fish from Darwin to Perth on an aircraft and ruined a few cooler bags! lol

You've got to use alot of other insulation, to insulate the dry ice from anything else. If you put dry ice directly onto the esky, or food, beer, or pretty much anything else it will freeze it, and it will most likely wreck the esky. Put a few layers of towels or newspaper or something underneath, then normal ice on top, then food stuffs (haven't actually tried this, but it makes sense)
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby clackerz » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:08 am

I've never even thought of using dry ice - might investigate and give it a go.....
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Return to Camping Tips and Locations