Tarp or Screen house?

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Tarp or Screen house?

Postby Karicher » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:04 pm

Hi,

We are in need of a new screen house. We brought a cheap one last time and it is crap. It has heaps of poles which are a pain to set up, and the screen is the wrong size and doesnt even reach the floor!

Do most of the campers here use a screen house to set up all there kitchen stuff under or do you put up a big tarp that goes over your tent and then comes out to use as a shade. My issue with that is it wont stop the flys!!! I also went camping at Easter and it was very cold! In the mornings everything under my screen house was wet due to all the condensation ( it didn't rain but you would have thought it had!)

Any tips would be great!

Thanks,

Mel
Mel
Karicher
Boy Scout

Postby clackerz » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:12 pm

I'm about to do the same myself...
I'm leaning towards the tarp side of things. The flies.....well they haven't really bothered us......yet!
You could go down the path of using citronella for the flies/mozzies, and for the damp, maybe some cheap tarps and cover your stuff before bed?
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Postby Karicher » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:05 pm

The screen house seems easier to set up then the tarp. A lot less poles!

I am undecided! I'll have to have a good look around. Let me know what you get!
Mel
Karicher
Boy Scout

Postby Komodo » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:47 pm

Tarp + shade cloth = best of both worlds
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby clackerz » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:13 pm

Komodo wrote:Tarp + shade cloth = best of both worlds

Ahhh... now that's thinking!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Re: Tarp or Screen house?

Postby JM1375 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:32 pm

Karicher wrote:We brought a cheap one last time and it is crap. It has heaps of poles which are a pain to set up, and the screen is the wrong size and doesnt even reach the floor!

Hmmm... we just bought a screen house from K Mart thinking that it would do the job perfectly.... I haven't set it up yet, better get it out on the weekend and check that it isn't a complete nightmare. :shock:
JM1375
Captain Camping

Postby Karicher » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:04 pm

Our screen house is about 3 years old. I think they are better now. They seem to be more like a tent now without the fly! Ours is more like a Gazebo with the mesh screen. It is a pain to put up and like I said the mesh is supposed to be long to the ground, yet it is almost 30cm too short! It is useless. I notice a lot of them have a ground in them now, but I'm not sure I want a totally enclosed one with a ground. Just more to clean afterwards!!!!

This is going to sound really blonde but when you say a tarp and shade cloth - how would you set that up? Anyone got a set up like that, that could post a picture???
Mel
Karicher
Boy Scout

Postby Woodsy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:45 pm

I am planning on doing something similar. Set the Tarp up with Poles and with the shade cloth you can put ringlets in and put them over the top of the poles and peg the bottom into the ground. The rope that holds the poles up also holds the shade cloth to the pole.

Cheers

Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Komodo » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:45 am

and clothes pegs or gaffer tape ;)

the eye rings you can get from K-Mart in the camping section you put a little hole in the shade cloth put one ring above and one below on the special tool (included) then you get a hammer and give it a good wack and bobs your uncle. No pics sorry - I dont have this set up myself but guys I used to go away with had this setup.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Jeeps » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:39 pm

We do the tarp thing and don't have an issue with bugs too much. Flies are only bad in the middle of summer or if you leave food lying around. We find middle summer camping too hot for us anyway. Sand midges and mozzies are only bad after a lot of rain or in coastal creek areas. It doesn't rain much in QLD & we don't camp near saltwater creeks :) We really only have a bug problem after lots of rain and only at night when the lights get turned on - hence why i don't run fluoros as they are a magnet.

We have this setup:

I have 2x small bunnings GMC tool bags, one with metal and sand pegs & light holders & 2 mallets. The other bag holds the ropes & springs. I have an army style duffle bag with 10x aluminum & 4 galvanised 3-piece tri-poles (tri-poles are way smaller). And i lay the tarp and the 2x (4 pieces) largish ridge poles on my drifta kitchen under the tonneau. I have adopted this style & setup and the smaller aluminium poles because up until we had bub we had to pack everything into the back of the wrangler and there ain't much room back there :)

When setup, it uses 6 aluminum poles on the short ends of the tarp (leaving 4 poles spare incase) and the 4 galvanised poles go in the middle on the long length of the tarp to hold up the ridge poles. I use the galvanised steel poles with the ridge poles because the allum ones aren't as strong.

I use 14 pegs & springs and 10 individual ropes. As you can see in the pic the corner ropes are one piece.

Once setup, it stays there. Wind will not knock it down and unless it's cyclonic, not even very heavy rain will not wet anything underneath. It also allows a nice breexe through without any flapping at all. Dew is no match for this setup :)

The one in the pic is a 16'x12' but i had a 16'x24' but it was too long. I will probably try to get a 16'x16' or 16'x18' when this tarp wears out as my ridge poles can reach 16' wide.

cheers
Jeeps
Captain Camping

Postby clackerz » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:53 pm

That's exactly how I'm wanting to do my set up jeeps. Thanks for the pic - helped heaps. What is the tarp made from?
You are 1 serioulsy organised camper.
clackerz
Captain Camping

Postby Jeeps » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:25 pm

I have thought about getting a canvas tarp but i can't justify the cost, weight, maintenance etc.

The tarps i use are those UltraRig ones from camping stores. I am on my second in 6 years. The first one i never used to wash off after beach trips and the sand/salt ate it after 2 years. This one is 3-4 years old and the only damage is a slight hole in the middle where i failed to turn the ridge pole the right way and the thumb screw wore a hole after a week camping.

The only way to become an organised camper is to fail & learn plenty of times beforehand ;)
Jeeps
Captain Camping

Postby clackerz » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:58 pm

Jeeps wrote:The only way to become an organised camper is to fail & learn plenty of times beforehand ;)

Very true - every camp is more easier and comfortable than the last.

We tend to make a list of things that would help each trip and I keep an eye out for other set-ups - but this forum is the best yet - soooo many people with great ideas and set-ups - the information is invaluable!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Postby JM1375 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:01 pm

While we are discussing tarps/screenhouses/kitchen set ups... I noticed that there was a warning on the outside of the box that the screenhouse came in not to use gas cookers/lights (can't think of the exact wording - I'm still at work). Is this for real?

Cheers, J.

(PS - ok, this might have been my "blondest" question so far.... :? )
JM1375
Captain Camping

Postby reef » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:24 pm

that tarp set up is great - but have to ask about the ridge bars - blonde question i guess - are they just through the middle or have you got them around the sides as well ? And what are those pegs - never seen them before ???
Beach, Surf, Family and Fun - pure bliss
reef
Captain Camping

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations