Tarp or Screen house?

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Postby Komodo@home » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:22 pm

Ridge poles, as the name suggests, go along the ridge.

I think you'll find Jeeps will have 2 ridge poles in his setup there

Its actually not that blond a question Ive seen people put "stut" poles in rather than rdge poles and it just makes me wonder why
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby Jeeps » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:50 pm

It the pic you can see the 'creases' in the middle of the tarp, that's a metal pole that goes from the top of one pole across to another pole on the other side so it's suspended above your head. The tarp sits on it and it helps keep the tarp tight and allows water to run off easily.

Those pegs are Sand Pegs made by Supapeg. I shouldn't have used them in the bush in the hard dirt as they were a bit too flexible for my liking but they work wonders in sand.
Jeeps
Captain Camping

Postby reef » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:03 am

What is a "stut" pole ?
Beach, Surf, Family and Fun - pure bliss
reef
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo@home » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:03 am

they go between ridges
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby reef » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:31 am

so a ridge pole is for the middle bit and stut poles for the sides ? is that right ? I am a bit confused
Beach, Surf, Family and Fun - pure bliss
reef
Captain Camping

Postby Jeeps » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:57 pm

Komodo are you reffering to a pole that is a normal telescopic and it's supposed to push up the tarp to prevent water accumulating and such? I used them but they didn't work to well. They use a plastic attachment like this:

Jeeps
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo@home » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:27 pm

Not quite

struts are braces which go in the plane of the roof ie /\ how ever a ridge goes across the peak.

Those ploes you talk of there are "roof support" poles and are use less as... well you get hte picture
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Struts

Postby gqpatrol » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:01 pm

Ahh struts, I read STUTS thinking what the?? :shock:
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo@home » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:05 pm

LOL sorry - I didnt even pick up on that LOL
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby Woodsy » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:32 pm

If anyone gets any pics of a setup like this post them up for us to look at. The best bit about shade cloth is it still lets a breeze through while keeping bugs out and the heat out to. To Seal up the door you can either use a long zipper sewn into the shade cloth, velcro or over lap it by around a meter if you want the cheaper way. Each has there own good and bad points.

Cheers

Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Keeks » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:42 am

We have a screen house for now and it works for us newbies. We bought a tarp 3x6 to go over if it rains heavily as it's only shower proof. We were looking at getting one of those dome screen houses that you can buy the fly for too but our tent is long enough as it is to add another 4 x 4 so this at 3x3 won. Plus it cost much more.

We were looking at the start to get just a tarp, poles, etc etc but by the time we added up everything we needed this was a cheaper option and found this on sale and bought the fly screen bit too.

Keeks

Keeks
Camping King

Postby clackerz » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:58 pm

I was at Granger's today and they were selling canvas sunrooms for $15.00 (were $275.00) - much like the ones used with the canvas tents. It was on an as is basis. The guys there said they didn't know exact measurements, overall condidtion etc. I opened one out and all checked out OK - no holes, no fungas or water stains, the fly's had no holes and the eyelets and seams were all in great condition. They've had them for a while in their warehouse and are looking to clear them. So I bought one in anticipation of setting it up as an extra room either from my tent or a separate screenhouse for a kitchen/eating area.
It doesnt come with the poles, or roof, but I thought if I buy the poles and a tarp it should be OK, and the overall cost won't be too bad.
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:37 pm

clackerz wrote:I was at Granger's today and they were selling canvas sunrooms for $15.00 (were $275.00) - much like the ones used with the canvas tents. It was on an as is basis. The guys there said they didn't know exact measurements, overall condidtion etc. I opened one out and all checked out OK - no holes, no fungas or water stains, the fly's had no holes and the eyelets and seams were all in great condition. They've had them for a while in their warehouse and are looking to clear them. So I bought one in anticipation of setting it up as an extra room either from my tent or a separate screenhouse for a kitchen/eating area.
It doesnt come with the poles, or roof, but I thought if I buy the poles and a tarp it should be OK, and the overall cost won't be too bad.

$15, or $150? ::()
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Komodo@home » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:00 pm

Clackers - how did you find the staff at grangers?

I've been to all three store and I know at least on 2 occasions ive been served by the owner (whos name escapes me). I've found their service and general knowledge appalling at best.
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby clackerz » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:06 am

Ozzycamperboy wrote:
clackerz wrote:I was at Granger's today and they were selling canvas sunrooms for $15.00 (were $275.00) - much like the ones used with the canvas tents. It was on an as is basis. The guys there said they didn't know exact measurements, overall condidtion etc. I opened one out and all checked out OK - no holes, no fungas or water stains, the fly's had no holes and the eyelets and seams were all in great condition. They've had them for a while in their warehouse and are looking to clear them. So I bought one in anticipation of setting it up as an extra room either from my tent or a separate screenhouse for a kitchen/eating area.

$15, or $150? ::()

Yep $15
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Tips and Locations