Island Reach - Imbil

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Island Reach - Imbil

Postby trevc » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:23 pm

Hi All

We're off to Island Reach Camping Resort at Imbil in a few weeks.

There is one or two posts on the forum, but has anyone been recently and any tips you can offer.

Thanks in advance.

Trev
trevc
Boy Scout

Postby mum23 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:43 pm

Hi Trev,
We spent the Easter weekend there with some friends. It is such a beautiful spot, right on the creek, so make sure you take lots of water/floatation toys (especially if you have kids.) The creek is perfect for swimming.
You are allowed fires too, so if you have access to firewood make sure you bring some (they do sell it there, though I'm not sure of the price.) Also, if you are there on a Sunday, there are markets a short walk away in town and the Valley Rattler (steam train) comes into Imbil at midday, it is great to see.
The campgrounds are well maintained and still quite green even though the surrounding area's are dry (and drought declared actually) and still idiot Beattie wants to flood the area........INSANE !!! Sorry, didn't mean to get political.......
Have a great stay there, hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
mum23

Postby trevc » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:37 pm

Thanks for the reply, it sounds great.

My kids are train nuts so they're going off already.

I assume it was pretty busy over Easter, were you on top of other campers or did you have plenty of space.

Thanks

Trev
trevc
Boy Scout

Postby mum23 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:02 pm

It was very busy over Easter and there were some area's that were squeezed in together, but we had a fantastic spot, with no 'neighbours' for a good 20 - 30 metres.....which was great for the (9) kids we had and all the cricket and spotlighting games. I have had tents camping much closer up the beach, so we didnt really notice how many people were there.
Have Fun !
mum23

Postby trevc » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:55 pm

Cool

Thanks for your advice and I look forward to reporting back on our trip.

Trev
trevc
Boy Scout

Postby kazzakanary » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:08 am

I found a review!!
We are going here in January - I will update this post when we return :)
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:14 pm

kazzakanary wrote:I found a review!!
We are going here in January - I will update this post when we return :)

Am off there is a couple of weeks also and will post an update as well. Cheers....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby kazzakanary » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:28 am

We will be there from the 5th Jan - when are you there?? We could meet up :grin:
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Postby ChallengeLee » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:55 pm

I was at Island Reach 2 weekends ago....rained pretty on and off much the first day but was warm enough and was a beautiful day on the Sunday...Grass was green and lush but the black ants were pure hell....nearly almost kinda made me wish for a camper trailer...lol

I went with the 4wd club l'm a member of but will be back again to do all those wonderful things Imbil has to offer in my own time.

Hope you have a wonderful time..l know l did.
ChallengeLee
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:09 am

ChallengeLee wrote:I was at Island Reach 2 weekends ago....rained pretty on and off much the first day but was warm enough and was a beautiful day on the Sunday...Grass was green and lush but the black ants were pure hell....nearly almost kinda made me wish for a camper trailer...lol.

The ants have always been abit of a problem there but it was my understanding that Tony had some special ant powder to give out to campers.

I always carry ant powder with me and therefore do not have to worry about them.

Maybe the message here is for everyone to add some to the camping supplies for all time. A bit like 'don't forget the aerogard'.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby ChallengeLee » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:30 pm

There was a sign up regarding new management when l was there, they were quite helpful regarding camp fire for our club....maybe l should have mentioned the ants.
ChallengeLee
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:50 am

ChallengeLee wrote:There was a sign up regarding new management when l was there, they were quite helpful regarding camp fire for our club....maybe l should have mentioned the ants.

The 'new' management has been there over 2 years and they definitely know about the ants and did at one time buy some special ant powder which they were giving to campers.

Maybe they have run out of it and I imagine they don't offer it unless you ask. And how many people would know to ask is another issue too.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Camping Tips and Locations