Extra cover for rainy weather

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Extra cover for rainy weather

Postby JM1375 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:28 am

Hi all, I just noticed that we are forecast for showers this weekend, which unfortunately is going to be my first ever camping trip.

As it is only forecast to be showers, is there any need for an extra tarp over the tent?

Hmmm... I guess what I am trying to ask (and I know this will sound ridiculous) is "how rainproof are tents?" :? Much chance of leaking, seeping, etc?

Cheers,
Jodie
JM1375
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:37 am

It doesnt hurt to put an extra tarp over - just make sure it doesnt touch the tent. Its a lot of (unnessisary) effort

That said 99% of tents will remain 100% dry inside if set up correctly.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Komodo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:42 am

BTW is the tent brand new? or been in storage a long period?

if so get the tent out and set it up at home. This familiarises you with setting the tent up - which only makes things easier once at site.
Then when its set up hose the tent down with a "spray" of water paying particular attention to wetting the seams. This makes the thread in the seams swell and seal the holes better. if a tent is going to leak it will be at the seams of at door openings. 9/10 time any water coming in from a door opening is caused because the door wast shut properly or else the door opening is facing up hill - thus the water "flows" into the tent

realistically youve got very little to worry about - if you do get a wet bum dont worry about it just stay warm thats the main thing have a laugh and if it gets too wet be prepared to pull the pin and head home and plan another weekend - dont let it ruin camping for you
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Blue Bravo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:54 pm

You haven't been camping until you get wet. All tents will leak eventually. Extra tarp will keep water off the tent therefore no leaks. Just takes time to set up. Try and keep clothing food etc in water proof containers to limt any damage should things go pear shaped. :)
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby JM1375 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:10 am

Thanks guys!

I've still got my fingers crossed that the forecast is wrong and the weather will be beautiful. 8)

Either way, it will be an interesting experience for me! :shock:

Cheers,
Jodie
JM1375
Captain Camping

Postby clackerz » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:09 pm

JM1375 wrote:Thanks guys!

I've still got my fingers crossed that the forecast is wrong and the weather will be beautiful. 8)

Either way, it will be an interesting experience for me! :shock:

Cheers,
Jodie

With the forecast being only showers, you should be fine - no worries. There will be breaks in the rain, so it'll give your tent a little time to dry a bit. Make sure that the tent is correctly set up. The outer shell (If you're using a dome style) is the protective/weatherproof layer. Make sure that the shell isn't resting on the inner tent (use your guy ropes on the sides of the tent and peg them so it is pulled away, and peg the shell to the ground around the bottom) it is where the shell rests against the inner tent that moisture can get in.
But to be safe take some tarps and peg them out - better to be safe than sorry!
I was caught in a flash downpour once (had to pack up in the end as the water was flowing past the tents) but I was in my cheap BIGW stockman and I had the shell pegged down at the base, but didn't use the ropes etc, and the inner tent stayed dry, as well as all our stuff.
Good Luck - remember you're at natures mercy so don't worry too much about the weather - be prepared for all seasons and enjoy!
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Re: Extra cover for rainy weather

Postby Keeks » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:15 am

JM1375 wrote:Hi all, I just noticed that we are forecast for showers this weekend, which unfortunately is going to be my first ever camping trip.

As it is only forecast to be showers, is there any need for an extra tarp over the tent?

Hmmm... I guess what I am trying to ask (and I know this will sound ridiculous) is "how rainproof are tents?" :? Much chance of leaking, seeping, etc?

Cheers,
Jodie

Jodie hope it stays dry for you!

We had showers on the Saturday morning and lunchtime last week but when the sun kept coming out everything was dry again. Our screen house which is only shower proof i thought would start dripping once soaked but it was ok and we didn't have the tarp over it. The tent was fine. But like everyone has said make sure the outside doesn't touch the inside.

Report back!
Hope you have a great time! :)

Keeks
Keeks
Camping King

Return to Camping Tips and Locations