We made it!

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

We made it!

Postby JM1375 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:21 am

Well folks, we made it back safe and sound from our first ever camping trip.... And it was a lot of fun! :grin:

We did get rained on - we had a thunderstorm on our second night :shock: - but I thought we coped with it all fairly well. And the tent didn't leak.....

We had a small problem with the fly touching the tent on one side and causing a bit of condensation, but even with all the rain, it didn't actually leak.... we tried to adjust the tension several times, but couldn't seem to get it right. It sat fine when dry but sagged when wet.... oh well, better luck next time. :?

I enjoyed sitting in the screen house at night, having a beverage and playing cards and chatting. It was very, very relaxing.

We met another family with kids the same age as our youngster, so they played together and had a ball.

There was hardly anyone staying at the park, so we pretty much had the run of the facilites, which were lovely.

All in all, a good first time experience, and we will certainly put the tent to use again!!!

Cheers,
Jodie

PS - thanks for all the advice - it all came in handy.... :grin:
JM1375
Captain Camping

Postby Kramer » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:45 pm

:armsup :armsup Good to hear, where did you stay?
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby clackerz » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:07 pm

Good to hear all went well - sounds like the start of many family camping trips!
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Postby Keeks » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:19 pm

Great to hear Jodie... was thinking about you guys on the weekend when it started to shower and the sun was in and out! Glad you guys had a great time. Sounds like you guys are hooked like we are! So gives us a run down of where you stayed. We had the sagging tent bit one night too and a bit of condensation but no drips and it soon dried up once the sun came out.

So are you searching for your next spot now? :)

Keeks
Keeks
Camping King

Postby JM1375 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:04 pm

Hi all,

We stayed at the Ballina Headland Leisure Park. It's actually 8km outside Balline, on route to Lennox Head.

The park was very nice - the facilities were good. Nice, clean, and well maintained and included a camp kitchen, gas BBQs, a heated swimming pool and spa and a kids playground. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and (because we warned them we were novice campers) they came past and checked on us regularly.

We did some day trips around the area in the mornings, and hung out at the camp site and the pool area in the afternoon and evenings. The rain didn't dampen our enthusiasm for camping, although, I can see that it would be much easier in better weather.

The worst bit was packing up while everything was still wet from the night before. The gear was wet and dirty and I ended up pretty wet and dirty myself. (The other family who were packing up at the same time left themselves a clean/dry set of clothes out and had a shower before they left - I didn't think of that and had the drive home in wet/dirty clothes...) :?

Everything got dried out in the back yard, and is now packed away, ready for another trip. Unfortunately, this may not be until June/July, as I will be pretty busy with work until then.

I am now looking at iceboxes/3 way fridges/waecos.... as I found keeping food cold in the esky an absolute pain.....

Camping could be an expensive hobby.... good thing it is so fun! :grin:

Cheers,
Jodie
JM1375
Captain Camping

Postby CCC » Thu May 03, 2007 1:58 pm

sounds like it was fun ... except for the rain. Camping is expensive to start with but once you have your gear and make sure its well looked after, it will be around for years and you only have to add food/supplies, petrol and fees to the future expenses :armsup

my feet are sooooo itching to go camping again.....
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Troyk » Thu May 03, 2007 6:47 pm

I don't think I have ever been on a trip where I didn't buy something beforehand. There is always something.
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby CCC » Thu May 03, 2007 8:14 pm

:lol: hmmmm now that you mention it, thats true.

But nothing like the intitial 'set up' costs and the 'next time i'll get a' costs

it does settle down quite a bit
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Troyk » Thu May 03, 2007 9:33 pm

You will always start off with the bare essentials and then progressively buy stuff, until one day you realise you have too much stuff becuase it takes too long to pack, setup, pull down, clean and repack. Then eventually you get back to the bare essentials, though they are probalby not the ones you started with.

Jodie, the key is to ask alot of questions.
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby JM1375 » Fri May 04, 2007 1:55 pm

Thanks guys!

Yes - I already have a list of "extra stuff" that I have decided that I "need" (some of which I probably don't need.... :lol: ).

But the food keeping situation is definitely something I will be reviewing... even if it is just to a proper icebox.

I wanted to go camping on the June long weekend, but so many of the parks are insisting on a 3 night stay, and I can only go on Sat & Sun nights because of DH's work!

Cheers, J.
JM1375
Captain Camping

Postby geekcampgirl » Tue May 08, 2007 3:47 pm

Jodie,

Great to hear that you enjoyed your trip and are itching to go again.

Of all the things we ever bought that take camping, the Waeco is the best. I hassled with eskies and ice and then heat transfer units for years and just got frustrated. We saved our pennies and bought the fridge.

As much as anything it just gives you peace of mind that the food is not going to go off or get too wet. And means that you dont have to think about shopping every day. Leaves you more time for the really good things about camping, like relaxing, spending time with those you love and all that stuff.
geekcampgirl
Camping King

Postby JM1375 » Wed May 09, 2007 1:51 pm

Well, I've just sent off a booking request to a park just down the coast from us for the long weekend (couldn't be bothered getting to far from home... just far enought away so that there are no phones or rellies dropping by).

I've only requested two nights, which I may get knocked back on (their website says three nights on long weekends), but hey! maybe they won't be all booked out yet.

Hopefully it won't rain, and we'll have another great trip.

Still saving up for the Waeco.... so still making do with the Esky.

Cheers,
Jodie
JM1375
Captain Camping

Postby CCC » Wed May 09, 2007 4:55 pm

Thats great to hear and you never know so fingers crossed.

geekcampgirl wrote:Of all the things we ever bought that take camping, the Waeco is the best. I hassled with eskies and ice and then heat transfer units for years and just got frustrated. We saved our pennies and bought the fridge.

As much as anything it just gives you peace of mind that the food is not going to go off or get too wet. And means that you dont have to think about shopping every day. Leaves you more time for the really good things about camping, like relaxing, spending time with those you love and all that stuff.

This comment has totally made up my mind to skip the ice box and save straight for a waeco.
What size would be recommended for a family of 4-5 ?
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby geekcampgirl » Wed May 09, 2007 6:29 pm

I cant remember the actual size, but it still sells for about $1000. We also dug deeper into the kitty and bought the inverter for it as well, so we can plug it into mains power as well if we need to (saves annoying other campers with having to run the engine).

We travel with just the two of us and that may make you think about whether the size is appropriate for you.

We do things like take UHT milk and fruit juice and only have it in the fridge once opened. We only put enough beer / wine in for immediate use as well. We dont have to eat meat every day and find salami or bacon good for flavouring sauces etc - they keep better as well

We survived ten days away from shops on one trip this way.
geekcampgirl
Camping King

Postby CCC » Wed May 09, 2007 6:59 pm

Excellent, thanx for the info :armsup
and the tips.
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Camping Tips and Locations