Watagan Mountains

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Watagan Mountains

Postby cumminscampers » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:09 pm

Hello fellow campers.
I am very interested in knowing a little more on the Watagans. Would like to know if there is secluded spots to camp & if it is a two wheel drive access area. Anyone with pics would be greatly appreciated.
New to this
Thanks Anthony
cumminscampers
Camping King

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:46 pm

I've been to the Wattagans several times, and its a pretty mad place.

The main road's through it are easy 2wd able, but they do get pretty bumpy. The only time you have to watch this is after rain, as I nearly had to use 4wd on the main roads uphill last time cause they just turned to a mushy slick with the rain ( It was great fun though :armsup ). Having said that a well driven RWD car would still make it through.

There's and abundance of secluded campgrounds, you just need to go exploring. Topographic maps of the area help.

here's the only pic i have hosted at the moment, will throw a few from the last trip up shortly

Taken from an 'off the beaten track' campsite we found.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby cumminscampers » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:24 pm

Thanks for your response ozzy.
I have been looking on the internet at the watagans & sounds like a nice place. We are sick of van parks, to noisy.
We are a family with 3 children (12 & 2x 9 year olds) who love the outdoors. We are looking for a quiet camping spot.
Is there any swimming spots there?
cumminscampers
Camping King

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue May 01, 2007 12:01 am

No, not that I'm aware of. There's a small (very very small) creek that runs through the main campground, but I wouldn't swim in it. There's another creek I have found thats crystal clear and very swimmable (would be cold though) but you've got little to no chance of getting a 2wd to it. Its very far off the beaten track :lol: But, depending how keen you are, there's a nice little clearing probably a kilometer from it, maybe more not sure, that you *could* get a 2wd to. But it'd have to be a ute, or older commodore or something with a bit of clearance to get over the anti erosion mounds, unless you wanted to come in from Cessnock and some other little town, sorta the back way into the Wattagans, then you avoid the mounds.
But then you've still got a bit of a walk to the creek anyways. But your extremely secluded at least :lol:

Couple of other's here http://www.putfile.com/rockyf75/images/103676
Had heaps more but they are on the old PC (dead). these were taken after a bush fire, as you can see, and no I didn't start it ;) :booty
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby CCC » Tue May 01, 2007 4:13 pm

ozzy you stoled my camping spot LMAO :***
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby CCC » Tue May 01, 2007 4:19 pm

The kids will love it there, so many little walking tracks, The basin is very open but we prefer the smaller spots like the pines. The toilets smell though but there is water tanks to use. It is a nice peaceful place but can get a little noisey with dirt bikers or some %$&*%(%% who HAD TO HAVE a generator or something going most of the night and the stereo in the car up loud :shock: but that was a one off lol
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby cumminscampers » Thu May 03, 2007 8:48 pm

Thanks for the replies. We will have to go & explore the area. Looks like a great spot.
Anthony
cumminscampers
Camping King

Postby Guest » Mon May 21, 2007 3:20 am

Site Admin

Postby Troyk » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:07 am

test
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Return to Camping Tips and Locations