Sydney to Brisbane

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Sydney to Brisbane

Postby mummeee74 » Wed May 09, 2007 9:26 pm

Hi all

Thinking about a trip up to the theme parks, not sure how long it will take us to get there, we are NOT long haul drivers, we seem to be happy with a 2-3hr drive at max, especially our 20mth old.

So considering that where would you stop along the way? Is it worth stopping for overnight stays or should I plan 2 or 3 days in one place before moving on? We are very new to the "travelling" holiday with kids, don't know how they will deal with it (or us actually).

Or I could just put it on the wishlist for next year when our kids are a little older?? Advice Opinions?? Any good caravan parks along the way you recommend?
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed May 09, 2007 10:57 pm

its about 10 hrs drive with few stops. Personally I'd stop at Coffs Harbour, maybe for a day or two. And break the trip up into 2 days of ~ 5 hrs driving, with a nice long lunch or something to break up each day.

There's a great little park in Coffs called the "Pet Porpoise Pool" , it's really worth checking out.

If your really just going for the sake of taking the kids to the theme parks, it MIGHT, just might, be cheaper, or at least close to the same price, to fly up there for 4 days and stay in cheap-ish hotels. Once you factor in camp fee's, fuel, and the added time of work you will need to physically get yourselves there and back. But then, your not camping :lol:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Blue Bravo » Wed May 09, 2007 11:39 pm

You can sometimes pick up failry cheap packages for fly drive or accommodation and park passes. See your friendly travel agent. If you want to drive Coffs Harbour is abour half way and there are lots of accommodation options there. :grin:
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Komodo » Thu May 10, 2007 12:25 pm

Just being a party pooper

I went to the theme parks when I was about 7 I dont remember much about it other than going to some 3D movie thing at movie world and the gremlins ride. Dont remember seaworld at all other than watching guys bungee jump near there from the carpark! and the the other theme parks I dont remember full stop.

My brother who would have been 4 at the time didnt even remember going there at all and mum and dad ended up taking him up there when he was 15 to do the theme parks.

If your going for yourselves then by all means go, but if you going for the kids I would probably wait a while longer.

Just my $0.02 (inc GST)
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Derek Bullock » Thu May 10, 2007 4:24 pm

I got to agree with others. Coffs is about half way and a great spot in its own right. When last there I stayed at the Sawtell Beach Caravan Park which is a just a few kilometres south of Coffs.

Although in a tent at the time they also have some great cabins that may be better for you rather than putting up the tent. http://www.sawtellbeachcaravanpark.com.au/

Trouble with stopping off at Coffs is that it is such a great area for a holiday you may not want to keep going. :***

Cheers

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby mummeee74 » Thu May 10, 2007 5:14 pm

Thanks for the link ozzy that pet porpoise pool looks great, my kids (um & me) would love it.

Also can't justify flying anywhere for a holiday after we spent a fortune on the CT, perhaps it should of come with wings!

Komodo you are right really I looked at the cost today and it would be $260 for 2 days entrance, my kids are really still wrapped in the local playground so it is a lot of money, perhaps when they are older it will be more justified. It's just that they have this wiggles world which looks really like a lot of fun, where the kids could go a little wild and we could relax a little (maybe I am dreaming)

Derek funny you mentioned Coffs & surrounds, just finished reading the latest open road and there is an article on the Waterfall Way and I have wanted to do that for so long, we have been to Sawtell about 16yrs ago and we were planning on hiring a car and exploring (we took the train) it all went a bit pear shaped when DH lost his wallet. So maybe it is time we rectified THAT holiday disaster, Coffs is looking good actually, just concerned about the cold, so ofcourse I have started another thread :) can't help myself!!
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Troyk » Thu May 10, 2007 6:29 pm

Have you thought about the New England Highway. Armidale is about half way. Last time I drive to Sydney from Brisbane on the pacific, there was a lot of roadworks (long stretches of 40km/h, though others may have better info on that) and more traffic. That was just my expereince though. Perhaps less to see on the NE (theres the golden guitar at Tamworth of course) and it finishes in Brisbane and you would have to travel south back to GC.

On the theme parks being from Brisbane we have visitd the 3 main ones in the last 2 years, and they can be a bit limiting for young children, probably Movieworld is the best. Dreamworld opened wiggleworld after we last went, but for all the kid rides an adult had to accompany children under 5. I am 6'6' so it wasn't pleasant (knees rubbing against the ears). At MW their rides are more suited for under 5's. Seaworld has the the polar bears, shark pool and the dolphin show, and has playpool for the kids.

Then there are the $$$'s. We normally go for the specials and discounts but they always have QLD residents only printed on them.

From Sydney I think you will get best value with the youngest is at least 5 to be honest.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Theme parks

Postby gqpatrol » Thu May 10, 2007 7:27 pm

Have to agree with the kids age/ theme park thing. Anyone you have to push around in a stroller is best left till they are a bit older. They get tired, can't go on a lot of the rides and we only went when the kids were young cos we got FREE TICKETS:?# . I have no interest ever going ever again. Too many people, too much money, and the queues for rides suck. Wait till they are at least school age to appreciate it. My 2 cents for what it's worth!
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Postby mummeee74 » Thu May 10, 2007 8:58 pm

Troy I was actually thinking of coming home that way, never been to Tamworth thought that might be interesting (um but cold). Yeah must admit my kids get really tired and cranky after a morning at our local pools. OOOOHHHH but it looks soooooo good on tele, all those smiling parents!!!!!
Honestly I don't think they could cope with the drive yet, I know some peoples kids are good travellers and perhaps my DD would be OK but my youngest got out of his seatbelt while waiting in drive thru today, doesn't like sitting still at all.

I guess that tells me something that kids under 4 are free, mustn't be much value for it in the under 4's hey.

Thanks for the tips, appreciated. I haven't even sounded this out with hubby yet, I am sure he would tell me I am crazy for considering, but then he tells me that most days :lol:
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby JM1375 » Fri May 11, 2007 1:08 pm

Hi mummeee,

Just adding my 2c in as a Mum (and a veteran of both the Sydney to Bris commute - lots of times :? - and theme parks).

Theme parks are hard yakka with littlies, and they really don't get a lot of enjoyment out of it until they are 5+.

My DS is now 5, and being local, we have an annual pass to Seaworld, but truthfully, we've only been a handful of times because he gets bored and tired quickly, is too scared to go on most of the rides, etc. We mainly just wander around and look at the animals.

It's probably best to wait. However, I can thoroughly recommend Coffs as a destination. We would normally stay in a resort, but I am planning a camping trip there in October. I think it will be great.

Cheers,
Jodie
JM1375
Captain Camping

Return to Camping Tips and Locations