Camping in Winter??

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Camping in Winter??

Postby mummeee74 » Thu May 10, 2007 5:26 pm

Just wondering if everyone still camps in winter and if so how do you go about keeping your kids warm? We would probably be staying at powered sites so we could run our little fan heater but only until we went to bed. My DD sleeps on a thick foam mattress on the floor, but she might be better in a camp stretcher?? DS is in the cot and hates baby sleeping bags and anything covering his feet, including socks, but will end up in our bed sometime during the night anyway.

Also where do you tend to go, a friend suggested heading to QLD which is why I was thinking about the theme parks etc but I am not sure the kids would cope with such a long trip and whether it would be worth the cost. I would love to go to Wombeyan Caves but imagine that will be freezing, another thought is around Coffs or even outback NSW??

After Easter I think we all need a nice little holiday :)
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Thu May 10, 2007 5:29 pm

QLd would certainly be drier particularly past Brisbane, however, you can still get some good storms that way.

We tend to head inland at this time of year. Although our inland might be drier than yours as we go to Kalgoorlie, Southern Cross etc.

The inland places would be closer than QLD too especially if you don't want to drive more than 3 hrs a day.

I used to go to Wombeyan Caves in the 80's before it was a major tourist place. VERY cold during winter but if you don't mind that it can be very interesting.

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Thu May 10, 2007 5:36 pm

When we bought the CT I just presumed we would head inland during winter, places that would be too hot in summer type of thing. But the logistics have me a little worried, I don't want frozen kids :)

Any ideas where I can find weather statistics (eg. how cold it actually gets through the months at wombeyan? I know I have seen snow in Goulbourn and it's not that far from there)
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Thu May 10, 2007 5:47 pm

mummeee74 wrote:When we bought the CT I just presumed we would head inland during winter, places that would be too hot in summer type of thing. But the logistics have me a little worried, I don't want frozen kids :)

Any ideas where I can find weather statistics (eg. how cold it actually gets through the months at wombeyan? I know I have seen snow in Goulbourn and it's not that far from there)

WUSS!!! ;)

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/20061 ... 0612.shtml

That will give you a run down of average climate conditions for Gloulburn. Toward the bottom is a list of the months ... click on what month you want to go and it will give you the stats. I couldn't find much for Wombeyan but then I didn't try hard. Just use the search function at the top right.

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu May 10, 2007 6:09 pm

My understanding of the inland is that its a place of extremes. So although its flaming hot in summer, its still freezing cold in winter :lol: During the day its a fair bit warmer than the coast, but at night, its just as cold if not colder. I know this from waking up shivering in my swag one night at condo :***
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby mytribe » Thu May 10, 2007 6:51 pm

We don't camp over winter, it's just too cold in Vic to go camping in tent's in unpowered camping spots.
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby Komodo » Thu May 10, 2007 7:06 pm

Can't help you really but winter is the sign of the start of the real camping season for Kel and I.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Winter camping

Postby gqpatrol » Thu May 10, 2007 7:23 pm

Don't whatever you do put your kids on an airbed. They are freezing. We camped a few years ago by the Dumaresq River near Goondiwindi, us on foam, kids on air bed. Guess what? Everyone ended up on the foam. No insulation in air bed, I don't know if a stretcher is much better. Inland in Queensland is always going to be cooler than the coast. Nice and warm during the day, but can be bone chilling at night. Anywhere in northern NSW/seQld coastal would be fine I reckon. Good luck!
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Postby Cruzin » Thu May 10, 2007 8:32 pm

Hi
We only camp in winter. Mostly in SEQ and Northern NSW.

Pools and A/c were invented for use in summer months in SEQ.

Big Tip
No air beds ever. They are full of hot, foul air that turns nasty or escapes during the night.

We currently use that high density (blue) foam under a 3" rubber mattress and leave the kids at home (now aged 24 & 26. LOL)

rgds Shane T
Shane - KZN185; PolyAir Bags; Uniden UH050XR 5xWatt UHF; 65ltr Evacool & a DIY CT under construction
eBay Username Cruzin4WD
Cruzin
Camping Veteran

Postby mummeee74 » Thu May 10, 2007 8:38 pm

Thanks scol, yikes the lowest last june/july was -6.2 with the highest being 15.5.... not appealing really, bet we would have the pick of camp spots though :) November looks about right for me! (I couldn't find Wombeyan either but imagine that it would be pretty similar, although I know it snows at goulburn but have never heard of snow at wombeyan?) YES I AM A WUSS!!

Yeah I agree Ozzy we went to central aus about 5 yrs ago and as soon as the sun disappeared it was freezing, wasn't camping then though so didn't care too much, took my pics, jumped in the car and headed for a warm hotel room!

Geez mytribe wheres the fun?? As I shiver thinking about it!

Komodo I remember camping as a kid in winter and it was great, sitting by the fire at night toasting marshies, guess my youngsters are still a bit young though for all that but one day, we used to do a lot of bushwalking in winter as well, it is lovely but in summer it's horrid, rather the beach.

I sound soooo fussy don't I?? yeah guess I am!

Gqpatrol - DD is on a foam bed but last time we were away it felt kinda damp, though everything did, but I wondered if she would be warmer up off the ground or perhaps I need to put a blanket or something under her mattress?

Thanks for the tips everyone, such a great forum with such nice people!
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby mummeee74 » Thu May 10, 2007 8:41 pm

Oh cruzin THATS what I need to do!! Leave the munchkins behind.

Problem though I can picture their teary faces squashed up against the front door as we drive away, aw shucks guess we HAVE to take them now!!
(you see I see that face every time I go to do the groceries on my own)
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Blue Bravo » Thu May 10, 2007 9:03 pm

Camping in Winter is great if you prepare well. Make sure that you insulate the ground with tarp, then bed or matress, then a cover then bedding. A hot water bottle works a treat and stays warm for a long time. Bed socks, even beany, under a good doona and just hope that nature doesn't call till the sun comes up :grin:
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby mummeee74 » Thu May 10, 2007 9:08 pm

Beanie!! Hadn't thought of that DD would wear one, she would think that's great fun. Good tips thanks :)
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Komodo@home » Thu May 10, 2007 10:52 pm

as for the air bed thing with no insulation Kel an I use a couple of those thing hi density foam mats under the bed to isolate it from the ground then we have a sleeping bag on the airbed and another on top of us. plenty warm though I am tempted to take a hotware bottle just to warm the bed up a little first :P
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby geekcampgirl » Fri May 11, 2007 8:31 am

I think camping is good at any time of the year. You just need to be prepared.

Most have talked about what to sleep on, and I agree with all those. Clothes mean taking the layers approach. As the sun goes down the layers go on, and in the morning as it warms up, the layers come off.

But one of the keys is to keep active especially in that time between the sun going down and bed time. You will produce your own body heat.

We take the troches out and go spotlighting. Walking means warmth, and it can be interesting. We watch for satellites overhead and have competitions to spot the most (11 in one night and 3 the following morning is our record).

And we always go for a walk first thing in the morning on cold mornings to get the blood going again. Again lots to see - animal tracks, birds.

And that's just the two of us - we ain't got kids!! Just us two big ones!! :)
geekcampgirl
Camping King

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations