Camping in Winter??

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Postby clackerz » Fri May 11, 2007 2:21 pm

Keeping kids warm is important - who wants cranky sleepless kids to deal with LOL!
THis is our usual set-up and the kids have never complained, or woke up early coz their cold.
Our 4 yr old has on a singlet and flannette pj's. Then he has thick explorer sox. We then put him into a full body jumpsiut that we bought from best n less (cheap as) then into his sleeping bag with a couple of blankets. We do however put him on an air mattress which I see is a no-no. We do lay dwn a thick blanket underneath the mattress and the mattress has a fitted woolen underlay then a flanelette fitted sheet.
Our youngest is 18mths and he stays in his port-a-cot which is off the ground. The same bedding and clothing is used for him as well. We do have a tent heater that we use to take the chill off in the morning when we are changing them etc ready to go out into the wild!
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Postby Goannabanda » Mon May 21, 2007 11:48 pm

My vote would be to stay on the coastal side of the Great Dividing Range, as far north as you can get.

Unless you are really far north, the nights will be cool, so for sleeping, put the kids in their jamies, then tracksuits, socks and beanies (if that cold), because they will always wriggle out of their bags.

Packing up our camper at 4am in -10 deg C at Glenn Innes in July is a childhood memory I'll not forget. Freezing and crying in the car for the next 3 hours after the radiator boiled due to ice might have had something to do with it. All the coastal camping we did on that same trip was fine temperature wise.
Please don't feed the Goanna.
Goannabanda
Boy Scout

Postby Coppergoat » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:13 pm

Hi All
We have just spent the June long weekend at Little Dip CP out side of Robe and yes it did get cold at night but the days were great. We also spent 4 days (ANZAC day to Sunday) at Bura creek (SA) it rained 3 out of 4 days and rained each night, had a few leaks but no great problem, so camping in winter for me is a great time to get out there. My 2 cents, no problem with winter or rain. The 2 kids had a great time.
Coppergoat
Boy Scout

Previous

Return to Camping Tips and Locations