When looking to go camping what do you look for ?

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

When looking to go camping what do you look for ?

Postby fitzys » Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:49 pm

When looking to go camping what do you look for, ie:

Showers
toilets
quiet place/no crowds
things to do etc,etc.

I am interested in what other campers look for as we just had a trip out to the Dubbo zoo and stayed at the Big4 Caravan park. Where they placed us was close to the road and at the bottom of a hill, let me tell you that some of the trucks almost came right through the tent. After this stay my wife and I are thinking of starting our own camping site some where in NSW and would like to know what people look for at a camping site. We have our own ideas but would love to hear from other campers
fitzys

Postby rod » Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:07 am

I look for and go to the quiet out of the way places/no crowds. Living in WA we have lots of locations to choose from.

Myself, I like to follow a track just to see what is there.

A bit like yourselves I'm in the process of starting a camping club (don't really like the word 'club' sounds to regimented) here in WA.

Cheers
rod

When looking to go camping what do I look for ?

Postby kombi_stu » Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:59 pm

Things I look for when i go camping,
cheap accomodation, I have a kombi van so normally I look for a powered site. I try to look for ones under $20 a nite. if there are none in the area I will stop in in a rest area with amenities for the night. The fridge is 3 way so it is cheaper to run it on gas over night. For showers it is cheaper to pay for the use of showers etc only at a caravan park than to stay the nite too.

What sorta location do I look for? I like to go bushwalking, mountain biking and the beach, so just about anywhere is kool. It is great to go to places where there are others to meet. I like Rod's idea of a camping club. I too am interested in forming a group or joining one.
I have webpage to journal my adventures in the Kombi [http://onlinekombi.tripod.com]
kombi_stu

Camping - What I look for

Postby Wandering Nomad » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:58 pm

When I go camping I normally look for out of the way wilderness. Just a couple of mates and our wives. Luv the peace and quite. Don't care about amenities we are self-sufficient.

Just luv to listen to the birds or marvel at the stars when camped in the desert or sit beside a waterhole "trying" to catch a fish with a coldie in your hand.

Think ya got me message

Cheers
Nomad
Wandering Nomad
Site Admin

Half empty is heaven

Postby nigelnitt » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:00 pm

A half empty campsite it my idea of heaven. Not too many queing for the showers on the other hand enough people to say hi to and have a bit of a chat.
I get a lot of my ideas for camp sites from a community tv show up here in Brisbane called wild weekend on Briz 31. They have info on camp grounds and facilities, some of them very affordable with stunning views. There are a few maps on their web site that show how to get to locations. If anyones interested the web site is at http://www.wildweekend.com.au
Does anyone know of some other shows?
Nigel
nigelnitt

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:17 pm

I'm with nomad... best camp sites are free, no amenities, and best of all.. no people (except those in your group) my friends and I have a nice spot out near lithgow, 20 mins on a 'main' dirt road, then 10 mins on a tiny dirt road, then 500 metres to 'our site' even on a busy long-weekend we only hear a couple of cars and/or bikes go past on the small track, and very rarely actually see them, which is very handy as we tend to chuck gas canisters and alike in the fire, usually scares other campers away lol.
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby jacko » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:58 am

well i think it depends who is going camping with you.
when i take the family i look for a good clean site with good amenities for my wife and kids but if i am going with the boys it does not matter we like to rough it but i always look for some where quiet
jacko

Postby D » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:38 pm

I like to go camping in the bush, completely surrounded buy the scrub and gum trees. I try to avoid the spots where there are amenities for the simple fact is that where you find amenaties, you find people. Some little track way off the "main" roads where you don`t see no one for days suits me fine. Most times it is just me, the "missus" and the dog (unless we are staying in National parks). Nothing like having the whole bush to yourself.
Cheers.
D
Boy Scout

Postby KerryandWendy » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:33 pm

If we are staying at a Big4, we chose a powered site between the ammenities and camp kitchen. Always look for a quiet spot and nice soft green grass to set up on, a rare find at say Coober Pedy and Central Australia like the Alice or Simpson Desert. When we get a bit of soft green grass I feel like rolling in it like a dog..lol..

If we are on the 4wd Trail we still look for flat grassy patch, and use 12volt lighting from a deep cell Outback sealed battery (Thumper Pack) If it is sand terrain, some nice flat soft sand is great as wll.

This is the wish list but sometimes you have to take what is available. I found that the insect screen you wear under your hat are better than say a gazebo in the bush. Never had trouble eating a meal and the flies just buzz around rarely landing on you. The desert was the worst, just wasteland and thousands of flies, no problems finding a soft spot and eating though
Have tent will Travel
KerryandWendy
Boy Scout

Postby PeterH » Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

Somewhere that allows small campfires. Don't need amenities but access to water is always appreciated but not necessary. Not too many people around. Some basic ground rules, such as no loud noise, no hoons etc. Good shade. Any type of access suits (ie bitumen/gravel/ 4wd track etc). Reasonable prices, prefer to pay by the site, not per person. Rubbish point is always handy. Don't mind kids (have my own grandkids). We're normally totally self sufficient, if we need supplies we're happy to travel to town to collect them.
Friendly staff are always good.
Simply apply the KISS principle and most people would be happy
PeterH

Camping likes

Postby The Avery's » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:45 am

We look for a place that takes dogs and allows a small fire. We are self sufficient so not much is required. Clean toilets are always appreciated.
The Avery's

Postby familybus » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:27 pm

somewhere out of the way where i can walk outa my tent first thing in the morn in my regies and have a nut scratch without scaring the bejesus outa a bunch of happy campers! :D
familybus
Boy Scout

A campsite needs...

Postby Gary's Family » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:12 am

A campsite must be level, grassy, a few trees, some ammenaties, but too many, picnic table are nice, large area so you don't have to be camping on top of others, bushwalking tracks - long and short, and probably the most important would be somewhere to have a campfire,whether it is designated fireplaces with hot plates or not - a camping trip for me with out a campfire is very disappointing. I also like the idea of paying per site, not per person, keep it simple, and you can keep the cost down. If you want a load of ammenaties like TV/games room, pool etc, then are plenty of nice caravan parks that have all that. Camping needs to be simple with minimal restrictions, that why I like to camp in state forests.

Thanks,
Gary
Gary's Family
Camping King

Postby familybus » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:15 pm

i reckon if you gotta pay to stay, your not camping! definatly the best camping sites are ones that are free! theres too many fees to pay already for things we should enjoy for free! for example, we have to pay for a fishing licience yet ive been fishing many a time where theres easily 3,4 or sometimes more people pocketing illegal size fish and theres no one to fine them! a bit like camping sites, ive been to areas where your supposed to pay and yet people leave rubbish and distroy the place and theres no one there to fine them or clean the place up for me to pitch up camp,i always have to clean it myself, im not going to pay someone for the privlage of camping when ive gotta clean the site myself!
familybus
Boy Scout

Return to Camping Tips and Locations