Dundubara Campsite Fraser Island

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Dundubara Campsite Fraser Island

Postby katthing » Sun May 20, 2007 11:37 pm

Has anyone been here?
We are going next weekend and wanted to know what type of tent pegs to take. Are the standard ones fine or do we need sand pegs?
Also is there showers? What are the toilets like? Hopefull not drop ones or master 7 year old will not go to the toilet the whole time we are away. I do have memories of having him do number 2 in the bush and me having to scoop it up in a bag to dispose off ::() He doesn't do new things too well !

What else can we expect?
wife to one, mum to two
katthing
Camping King

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun May 20, 2007 11:41 pm

If its sand your camping on, you'll need sand pegs, and even they can be difficult to make stick in well. Normal pegs will just slide right out.

And just dig your own hole well away from campsites and/or water if the kid doesn't like drop boxes :lol:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Dundubara

Postby gqpatrol » Mon May 21, 2007 10:26 am

Hi, have been to this camping area quite a few times. There are flush toilets and showers, though you will need $1 coins for the showers. Double check this as it used to be 50c and we came over one year loaded with two rolls of 50c only to find out that they'd upped the price. Luckily the bakery at Eurong was happy to do a swap! You will get away with regular pegs, the ground is fairly firm with lots of trees etc. A nice spot and it is now dingo fenced so if you have kids you can relax a bit. Make sure you have somewhere to lock up all food though. Normal eskies and ocky straps can be opened by dingos. We just kept all rubbish and food locked up in the car. They can get into tents, as most aussies know! I can't remember if you asked anything else, so I'll go and have another check. Happy camping! :grin: :grin:
ps check out the info @ http://www.epa.qld.gov.au and click on the parks and forests link. They will have extra info as to what you need to do to go to Fraser. Be aware it is a very popular place and is now VERY regulated. The rangers are full on about preserving vegetation and the like, no fires and a mate got a fine for just nudging some grass at the base of a dune while parking up his jeep to go fishing.
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Postby Jeeps » Mon May 21, 2007 12:30 pm

It's a nice campground. When we were there late last year, the toilets were about to be closed for a week for repair. Lord knows they needed it as the toilets were pretty bad but i'm sure they've fixed them up. The rangers had sprinklers going everywhere to encourage the grass to grow. The dingo fencing & electrical setup to allow vehicles to cross into the campground was interesting ;)
Jeeps
Captain Camping

Postby katthing » Mon May 21, 2007 10:14 pm

Normal eskies and ocky straps can be opened by dingos

OMG are you serious? ::() Now I am scared!!!!!! What do you do with the food when you go for a drive?

How safe are we really if they can get into tents? I assume if there is no food then they will leave us alone?

Now I am nervous, miss 4 LOVES dogs! she has told everyone she is going to play with the dingos ::() I had to tell her dingos kill kids! she still wants to catch one!!!!!!

Thanks for the tips on money etc, had a look at the website - thanks. Now i need to get my bum in gear and get stuff organised. Husband is away until late Thursday and we plan to drive off here at 4-5am! which leaves me with the organising as usual - lucky I am good at that stuff!
wife to one, mum to two
katthing
Camping King

Postby freerocketman1 » Tue May 22, 2007 12:29 am

katthing dont worry about the dingoes they only bite once :grin:
just kidding, its been a long time since i camped at fraser & when i did i only saw 1 didgo in 5 days but i was camped along the beach near the mahino wreck. just remember keep an eye on the kids its not just the dingoes you have to wory about, its the site seers as their to busy looking around to see adults let alone kids. i hope you enjoy your trip dont forget the pics we all would love to see what were missing. :armsup
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

dingos

Postby gqpatrol » Tue May 22, 2007 8:14 am

The dingo blurb is what is put about by the EPA. I believe it is based on fact. We took all our food in the car with us when we went trekking. It's either that or have containers that can be LOCKED. The EPA is very serious about dingo education after the boy that was attacked died. They eradicated a few, and fenced the campgrounds, but still they encourage extreme caution, and NOT to feed them. :?
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Return to Camping Tips and Locations