Furphy Jaffle Iron

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Furphy Jaffle Iron

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:20 pm

For a number of years the Furphy Foundry in Australia made a cast iron jaffle iron. Like all old Furphy products they are now collectors items.

Check this eBay auction out. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VINTAGE-ROUND-FU ... dZViewItem

Last one I saw went for $310 and didnt have the handles.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Komodo@home » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:45 pm

*sigh*

If only a "boutique" foundry would set up and produce GOOD cast iron ware locally again...

Nice find Derek!
Im almost tempted to place a bid but i dont think the fun police would like me bidding that much for a jaffle iron!
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:50 pm

Furphy still make them however they are now in aluminum and it's just not the same. Sigh.

I went through a lot of pain a year or so back to try and get some cast iron camp ovens made at an Australian Foundry ............ there is no competing with our Asian counterparts and the price to get them made was going to make the resale just not worth it.

I think what I find disapointing the most is that the Furphy Camp Ovens now made in China still sell for the same comparable price that the Australian ones did when they were manufactured here.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Komodo@home » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:22 pm

Its all thanks to the chinese government keeping the yen artificially low unfortunately.

We're finding as an industry (structural steel fabrication) that the chinese can fabricate, ship and land fabricated structural steel cheaper than we can buy raw beams for! explain that logic. It has to change sooner or later but their labour will always remain cheap because of the size of the population.

But I agree it is dissapointing to see these products being sold for far more than they are worth yet still cheaper than a locally made good quality equivilant.

Derek did you ever look at setting up your own small foundry?
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby Derek Bullock » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:35 pm

Wow. That one went for $610.00.

Here is another one already up to $285. I doubt I will ever get my hands on one at this rate.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ROUND-FURPHYS-JA ... dZViewItem
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Kramer » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:55 pm

wow three hours since Derek has posted and its up to $330 already :( I do have a friend that works in the Bundaberg foundry I can always ask on whether he can do some small runs but I am not sure on whether you are allowed to copy other products? also getting moulds (sp?) made is another step that has to be overcome.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Derek Bullock » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:54 am

Kramer

When I was looking at getting some camp ovens made the mold for the lid alone was $600. Not cheap
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

foundry

Postby shermo » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:27 pm

There is a smallish foundry in brisbane called AUSTCAST that does smaller jobs and uses sand moulds for these type of jobs.

As with anything one off you will pay a fair wack for the first few but if you can get enough people interested you may start to see a price reduction.

The other idea is maybe look into a farrier or something they often do one of jobs like this?

Shermo
shermo
Camping King

Postby Derek Bullock » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:28 pm

$455.00 and still going strong. :+
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

BUYER BEWARE

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:39 pm

Folks

After seeing a brand new cast iron furphy jaffle maker in a shop last week for $44.00 I contacted Furphy to see if they still make them. Surprise surprise ........... yes they do with a recommended retail price of $38.00.

I see at the moment a new one on eBay at http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Furphy-Jaffle-Ir ... dZViewItem Check out the price. It ios already over $100.

There are some people getting severely ripped off at the moment with these.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:22 pm

Have just been told by Furphy that the new Jaffle Irons are now made off shore the same as their new ovens.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Return to Camping Tips and Locations