Dwellingup

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Dwellingup

Postby colourscientist » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:43 pm

I am taking my dad camping for his birthday (his first time) in Dwellingup in the Lane Pool reserve. I've never organised a trip before so I need help!

Firstly, I need to choose which campsite http://www.naturebase.net/content/view/397/1245/. Has anyone been to any of them and can offer recommendations?

Then I need to figure out what we are going to do. I want to blow my dad away with exciting activities, but he's figured out from his list of things to bring that we are going mountain bike-ing, and that's pretty much all I had.

I looked at hiring a canoe too, would it be a good time to canoe this time of year (we are going next week)? And on the website it says they have some kind of foam things so you can connect it to the roof of your car, would this work on a sedan?

There's also walk trails, on the website ( http://www.naturebase.net/content/view/399/1038/ ) it has the "Chuditch" and "Island Pool" trails, does anyone know anything about them? My dad is really into wildflowers, are there any in that area at this time of year?

For mountain bike-ing, we have one fo those things you can attach to the back of the car to put bikes on, should we do that and bring our own? Should we do one of the cycle trails that are set out? ( http://www.murray.wa.gov.au/community/dwellingupvisitorcentre/cycletrails ) I was thinking of doing the Marrinup one, because I was reading about the POW campsite and it sounded pretty interesting, and it seems to be the easiest trail.

I'm tossing up whether or not to do the Hotham Valley Forst train thing, I'm fairly sure we took it once when we passed through Dwellingup when I was little.

Well, that's all the activities I've been able to find on the net, what else does anyone know about that we could do?
And on a general camping note, would things like sausages and such last in an esky for one day?
colourscientist

Postby jfamily » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:08 pm

G'day. Sorry no-one replied, that's not usual.. I can't help, never been there, but I guess you've been by now?! Snags no prob in an esky for a day or so, I usually freeze stuff in portion sizes (or meal sizes) and stick them in, it helps keep everything else cold and thaws slowly..

Good luck!
jfamily

Postby SOE digital » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:45 pm

I've been to Nanga Mill in Dwellingup and I really enjoyed it.
You campo right up next to the Murray River, there's an outhouse there for people who don't like to rough it and there's fire rings for when you get that all important fire blazing.
It's also pretty secluded which is great.
SOE digital
Boy Scout

Return to Camping Tips and Locations