Camp oven basic tips please

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Camp oven basic tips please

Postby katthing » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:21 am

I know Derek has a great site but I don't have enough time to get a good lesson on Camp Cooking.
We are off on Monday and tonight my husband has said he wants to try camp oven cooking :shock: . we are just going to buy a cheapy to see what it is like. Our kids don't eat anything that would come out of a camp oven :$ (don't get me started on their diet!)

So what are the basics for a roast?

Just chuck it in, husband said you put the heat beads on the top but I thought the cast iron plain ones you cover with ash/embers all around. His friend has a very expensive one that is 15 years old that you just put burnt coals on the top (husband has been away enough times with him to figure that one out) - ie no need for a camp fire at all.

What do you think- worth a go then if it works study Derek's website?

(hope I have the right person, it is Derek isn't it???? I am bad with remembering names :--? )
wife to one, mum to two
katthing
Camping King

Postby freerocketman1 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:59 pm

katthing if your going to youse heat beads go to dereks web site,he has a calculator for them.if your youseing wood [yes you do need a fire] as you need to top up the coals.HINT youse a trivet in the bottom of the oven,this keeps the roast from burning & sticking [been there done that] thanks to dereks web site i have seen the light & IT WONT HAPPEN AGAIN. :grin: just in case your not sure what else you can cook in it ,just remember its a oven & you can cook everything that you can at home in it just getting the temp right is the hard part. :)
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby Troyk » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:29 pm

Remember to prime it, cooking the wax off. Otherwise as the rocketman says its not alot different from an oven at home. For roasts try taking a meat thermometer as it can be difficult to judge if its cooked by torchlight.

We have also done cakes, sara lee pies and damper

We also got a bag for ours, think it was about $15 to 20, to avoid getting the inside of the car dirty.

Good luck and enjoy.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Re: Camp oven basic tips please

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:50 pm

katthing wrote:I know Derek has a great site but I don't have enough time to get a good lesson on Camp Cooking.
We are off on Monday and tonight my husband has said he wants to try camp oven cooking :shock: . we are just going to buy a cheapy to see what it is like. Our kids don't eat anything that would come out of a camp oven :$ (don't get me started on their diet!)

So what are the basics for a roast?

Just chuck it in, husband said you put the heat beads on the top but I thought the cast iron plain ones you cover with ash/embers all around. His friend has a very expensive one that is 15 years old that you just put burnt coals on the top (husband has been away enough times with him to figure that one out) - ie no need for a camp fire at all.

What do you think- worth a go then if it works study Derek's website?

(hope I have the right person, it is Derek isn't it???? I am bad with remembering names :--? )

Yep, thats me. :lol:

For a roast, coals on top is all you need sometimes. To many coals underneath and the juices will burn,

For baking scones, damper, breads, muffins and cakes you need some coals underneath as well.

Rerad through this page on my site. http://www.aussiecampovencook.com/campovencooking.htm

Cheers

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Komodo » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:18 am

Mmmmm camp oven cooking :D

It quite amazes me (and no dig intended to any one) how many people havent used one - or are even scared to use one!

I learned from a realitively young age at scouts how to use one - infact I ended up getting quite good and won a camp oven cooking competition between a few local scout groups (about 60 or so scouts). So ive never really though that there was any secrets (other than to seasoning). I was very supprised when Kel, who had done a lot of camping when she was younger (and is also a very keen cook and all round foody), told me she had never used one!.

A trivet (or camp/dutch oven rack) is a must. not only does it keep roasts and what not from stcking to the bottom and burning (and getting that foul charcoal taste) but it also helps the heat to circulate when cooking cakes, damper etc and if your like me and you use a cassarole dish in the camp oven when doing a stew or an oven cooked curry.

I've used camp ovens for heaps of stuff. Roasts are about the easiest thing to cook - and cooking them in a camp oven is no different - infact possibly easier than cooking one in the oven at home.

We used our camp oven while we were away to reheat some pies from the miami backhouse in mandurah (sp?) and even some pizza!

Im going to look more into using gass as a heat source for the oven though as there (unfortunately :() is a lot of places an open fire isnt allowed. I've also never used heat beads for heat. But thanks to inspiration from dereks site I will be trying it soon!

You might find that cooking in the camp oven beside the fire might even be a novelty that might encourage the kids to eat different types of food ;)

BTW Derek = camp oven guru! :grin:
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Komodo » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:22 am

BTW dont forget the lifter (I use multigrips) and some heavy duty welders gloves!

And if using coals from the fire - a decient length handle shovel
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby CCC » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:26 am

ok got a stupid question .... :--?

can you use a camp oven on a wok burner on a gas BBQ? Does it work out the same or can you heat the beads up on the gas BBQ somehow?

:lol: :?

By the way, if the kids want a snack, and you got it too hot, cook up some pop corn ..... :? Done that before
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Komodo » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:04 am

You can it is done like so :

(blatantly stolen from Dereks website - available from southern metal spinners)
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Derek Bullock » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:27 pm

Komodo wrote:You can it is done like so :

(blatantly stolen from Dereks website - available from southern metal spinners)

Sneaky :*** :*** :***

Actually you should look at the whole series of photos to get the a good idea how the Camp Oven Mate works best. http://www.aussiecampovencook.com/campovenswithgas.htm

Oh yes, pop corn in a camp oven ........... it's magic, everyone should be doing that.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Komodo » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:51 pm

oops didnt realise I didnt put the link in - sorry derek :oops:

Not a huge fan of popcorn (unless its from the cinemas) but its true pop corn in the camp oven is pretty gosh darn good :)
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby CCC » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:31 pm

Excellent and thankyou :armsup

now another question...

Derek you have a Heat Bead Calculator on your site, is the camp oven size in quarts?

http://www.aussiecampovencook.com/charcoalheatchart.htm

How can you tell the size of a camp oven if you have forgotten it ?

:lol:
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Derek Bullock » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:00 pm

Nope its in inches. Was developed in America. ::()
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Return to Camping Tips and Locations