Suggestions for internet access in outback Queensland

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Suggestions for internet access in outback Queensland

Postby geekcampgirl » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:20 pm

Hi all,

We are planning a holiday in outback Queensland in September (up the Matilda Highway to the Gulf) and are looking forward to it.

As much as I'd like to leave the laptop at home, it is not going to be possible because of some commitments that I have to meet on a weekly basis.

I have been looking at the possibility of getting one of those 'mobile wireless modems' through Bigpond, but these mean that I have to be on a 12 month plan. I only want to use it for a month while we are away. I'd be happy to purchase the card outright and just pay for the connection as we use it, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

So what I was wondering was if there are CTC's in Queensland, or easily available internet access points of cafes.

What do you do when you need internet access when you are out on the road?
geekcampgirl
Camping King

Postby Komodo@home » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:53 pm

In my travels in recent years I've found most places have internet access and more and more places are advertising that they are hot sports. Probably more prevalant in more remote places that in the outer suburbs!
Komodo@home
Captain Camping

Postby Troyk » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:39 pm

If you have a WIFI adaptor this might be a help.

http://www.freewifi.com.au/index.htm

I think the free WIFI hotspots might have been a bit short lived. Through Bigpond on roaming I think they charge about $5 per 15 min session.

If you don't need to send attachments or open them, you might want to try something like Blackberry (had good coverage across the country with mine). Can be expensive on the wrong plan though.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Return to Camping Tips and Locations