Munmorah State Recreation Park

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Munmorah State Recreation Park

Postby Blue Bravo » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:25 pm

Mrs Bravo and I went for a drive to check this out as a possible short break place. Is off the Pacific Highway between Newcastle and Gosford. There are 2 camp area. One at Fraser Beach is for tents and is situation on a headland overlooking the surf. has barbecues tables etc. There is a second Freeman's which allows vans etc but it was closed for renovation so couldn't get a look in. It is set behind Birdie's Beach and should be sheltered from the strong nor easters. There are walking tracks, beaches and plenty of rock fishing spots. We have put it on the To Do List. :?#
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby CCC » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:33 am

As a local I just better point out that Birdie Beach is also known to be a Nudist Beach :lol: not everyone is nude though ... only the game :booty

And be very careful rockfishing there. there is a memorial there with names of lives that the 'blow hole' has taken as well as rock fishermen and tourists. They have tried to blow up the blow hole but still is very very dangerous.

otherwise it is a nice coastal camping spot :armsup
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Blue Bravo » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:16 pm

Noticed the memorial when we were there. :)
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby CCC » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:04 am

http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/par ... 605&Type=K

Its September, Its Spring time, Its camping time :armsup

..... I wonder if they finished the revamping on time :***
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby thenewme » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:53 pm

Hi Central Coast Camper,

I live just across the highway from Munmorah State Recreation Park, went for a drive through the park today to see if Freeman's was now open, it is.

Looks like the original shower and toilet block to me, the road around the camp site is now gone and is more like a horse shoe shape with the break in the road being the section of park nearest Birdie Beach.

Think maybe 4 vans on site, as for the upgrade I don't think much of them at all.

Keep in mind this park is extremelly hot in summer, actually unbearably hot and not one shade tree in sight, each tent site is behind a log and wire fence maybe a foot tall not able to park your car on your site anymore, parking is on that other side of the fence, looks like one car park per site and car bays are in place.

Caravan/camper trailer sites are like large car space, crushed grey metal on the ground no grass anywhere on these site, don't think I like a van site with no grass if I had children.

Cheers
Kate

Central Coast Campers wrote:http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/parks.nsf/CampingContent/N0605?OpenDocument&ParkKey=N0605&Type=K

Its September, Its Spring time, Its camping time :armsup

..... I wonder if they finished the revamping on time :***
thenewme
Boy Scout

Postby CCC » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:57 pm

oh dear.

thanks for that Kate.

I dont think I like the sound of that :shock: I have never camped their and dont think I will.

give me The Watagans anyday .... except really really rainy weather ::()
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby thenewme » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:12 pm

Try $8 per adult & $4 per child per night for an unpowered site at Frazer until the 30th Sept then $10 per adult & $5 per child along with $7 for your car if you don't have a national park pass., what a rip off.
thenewme
Boy Scout

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:16 pm

I paid $190 for a year for my all parks National Park Pass. Mind you the number of times I have been in Kosciusko National Park this year it has paid for itself.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby CCC » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:30 pm

doesnt sound relaxing and fun at all ... I would have a better time in Lakehaven car park and making a BBQ out of a shopping trolley ::()
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby thenewme » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:42 pm

Hi Derek,

We have 2 cars in our household Derek and both cars have National Park Passes on them, we elect to purchase the country ones but excluding Mt Kosciusko and get 2 year passes, we could elect to purchase the one park type pass for $22 for the year but rather have the opinion of going to other parks as we, actually both cars are due this december.

I have to agree with you Derek, we go over to Munmorah often in the summer, husband works shift work and work normal hours, thats why both cars have passes, means if we are home alone we can go to the beach.

My grip with this park Derek is its really, really basic, think it a rip off if you are a family of 4 and the cost is $30 for the night plus your $7 if you don't have a pass.

Think I may post the pictures on your web site Derek.

Cheers
Kate

Derek wrote:I paid $190 for a year for my all parks National Park Pass. Mind you the number of times I have been in Kosciusko National Park this year it has paid for itself.

Derek
thenewme
Boy Scout

Postby thenewme » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:27 pm

Hi Central Coast Camper,

Check out Derek wedsite for photo's of Munmorah.

http://www.aussiecampovenforum.com/cgi- ... 89244824/0

Got to tell you, think the BBQ in Lakehaven carpark does sound like more fun.

Cheers

Central Coast Campers wrote:doesnt sound relaxing and fun at all ... I would have a better time in Lakehaven car park and making a BBQ out of a shopping trolley ::()
thenewme
Boy Scout

Postby CCC » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:56 am

excellent pics Kate.

No trees, just bush shrubs.
The camp areas just looks like council parks in the area minus the swings or plain parking spots.
The sites are as close as parking spots too,

Still not my idea of a camp site and would rather spend the money in a caravan park.
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Troyk » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:26 am

That's one organised campground. Interesting that they don't seem to cater for camper trailers, which is not uncommon in new campground designs.

Good pictures Kate. Looks like a nice spot. :)
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby thenewme » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:15 pm

Hi Troyk

I think some national park are spoiling their natural resouces and I can't understand the logic in that, if they just put some trees in it may soften the place and all that asphalt tell me that is not going to warm the place up a little more in summer, I get hot just driving pass this campground and looking in on my way to the beach in summer with my airconditioning on.

This campground is not even 10 minutes from my home, if it was something special I would take my grandkids and camp overnight with them, would have to be in the tent as there is no way I would set up site on that horrible looking crushed grey gravel even if I do have a caravan.

Believe me there is no air circulation in the campground.

I did go over today and got out of my car, Freemans has 28 sites I believe, it has 2 female toilets & 2 female showers, they have hooks in the roof for your solar bags, also at Freemans they have drinking water and Frazer has bore water.

Freemans site fee are $8 per adult, $4 for children in summer compared to Frazer being $10 & $5, also Frazer is right on the water and Freemans is a bit of a hike.

Cheers
Kate

Troyk wrote:That's one organised campground. Interesting that they don't seem to cater for camper trailers, which is not uncommon in new campground designs.

Good pictures Kate. Looks like a nice spot. :)
thenewme
Boy Scout

Postby cokebottle » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:50 pm

Hi everyone, found this forum after I was looking for info about the Freemans campsite, we are planning to camp there in the next few weeks.

Has anyone on here actually camped there as yet? I went there about 3 weeks ago with my fiancee for a day trip & we thought it did not look too bad, had a picnic at the Tea Tree picnic area, great!
Went and had a look at the Freemans site & it did not look too bad, at least it has got flush toilets & not those stinking composters you get at most other National Parks :shock:

It will be the first time my fiancee & her 3 kids have camped in their lives, so I hope it runs smoothly.

Central Coast Campers wrote:As a local I just better point out that Birdie Beach is also known to be a Nudist Beach :lol: not everyone is nude though ... only the game :booty

No worries about the Nude beach, my fiancee checked it out with me when we visited, the kids have been to nude beaches before & are pretty nonchalant about it, the day we visited there was about 15-20 people of all shapes/sizes & ages - even a couple with their young daughter.

After we have camped there I will let everyone know what it was like, we want to go there before it gets too hot though, I know what it is like to camp in the middle of Summer with no shade :oops:

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations