Munmorah State Recreation Park

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Postby CCC » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:10 pm

Please do let us know what it is like :grin:

Also welcome to the forum Michael and great avatar :twisted:
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Derek Bullock » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:14 pm

Central Coast Campers wrote:Please do let us know what it is like :grin:

Also welcome to the forum Michael and great avatar :twisted:

Great avatar hey. Obviously his nose is longer than his ................... :***
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby thenewme » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:22 pm

Hi Michael,

The showers are cold but they have installed hooks to the ceiling so that you can rig up solar shower bags up, think you will need a small ladder to attach the rope to the hook.

Keep in mind Michael if the weather is warm it is going to be extremelly hot at Freemans due to the fact it is in a gully, there really is no shade at either camp site but at Fraser you get a breeze off the ocean, just remember to take a Gazebo so you can get out of the sun.

Also when you visit these beaches keep your eyes open for Dolphins and whales, about 4 months ago walking down Birdie beach towards Budgewoi I spied 8 Dolphins riding the waves into shore they must have been about 25 metres out, stopped and watched them for ages.

Cheers
Kate
thenewme
Boy Scout

Postby cokebottle » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:07 am

thenewme wrote:Hi Michael,

The showers are cold but they have installed hooks to the ceiling so that you can rig up solar shower bags up, think you will need a small ladder to attach the rope to the hook.

Keep in mind Michael if the weather is warm it is going to be extremelly hot at Freemans due to the fact it is in a gully, there really is no shade at either camp site but at Fraser you get a breeze off the ocean, just remember to take a Gazebo so you can get out of the sun.

Also when you visit these beaches keep your eyes open for Dolphins and whales, about 4 months ago walking down Birdie beach towards Budgewoi I spied 8 Dolphins riding the waves into shore they must have been about 25 metres out, stopped and watched them for ages.

Cheers
Kate

Thanks for the info, I had thought about buying a cheap shade from the Warehouse ($20 I think?) so I will to check that out.

Hope we see Dolphins! I looked on the NPWS website & they had a list of all the creatures found in the park, they listed whales/dolphins etc so I told the kids, it is a great feeling to get really close to those beutiful creatures.

A few years ago i went for a sunrise swim at Coffs Harbour & while diving with goggles I saw a big finned shape in the next wave out from me (about 10feet) I got out real fast ::() only to find it was a dolphin :grin:

I must have stood there about 20mins with my jaw hanging on the sand, just watching it :***

Can't wait!!!!

As for my avatar, well I am sorry to say it is not me :( I think it is from postcard from Mexico or something? I will have to buy a couple of hats like that & have a real photo done on Birdie Beach :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :booty

Michael
Last edited by cokebottle on Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby CCC » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:07 pm

cokebottle wrote:As for my avatar, well I am sorry to say it is not me :( I think it is from postcard from Mexico or something? I will have to buy a couple of hats like that & have a real photo done on Birdie Beach :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :booty

:armsup ::) :cheers
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby CCC » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:09 pm

I went there today (long weekend) and took some pics while the ticket machine was out of order and no park rangers were around ::() and took a few pics without ruining the little privacy the campers have and trying not to look like a pervert ::()

well here goes .... lol

This is approaching the Freemans Camping area ... no trees, only shrubs

This is part of the BBQ area .. NO FIRES ALLOWED ...

Amenities block and BBQ area .... and open space 8)

Camping spots are very close and cars are to stay in parking area.

Camper trailer area on gravel... ouch...

The ocean is a fair distance away here and at Frazer Camping area, the camping area is smaller and a bit of a walk on the road to get to the amenities block but is closer to the water ... well closer than the other camping area ... :lol:

hope this helps .... :? maybe lol
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby stevo. » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:36 pm

does look very open :?

maybe needs a few years for the trees to establish?
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby thenewme » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:31 am

Hi CCC,

Not a very nice camping area in my opinion, what yours opinion now that you have seen it, if I had to pick one I think I'd go with Fraser.

I'm going over to Birdie Beach today for my walk, may call in and see how the sardines have been squashed into the camping area.

CCC what do you use for camping eg, tent or camper and do you mostly camp in the Watagans, I like Chichester due to the fact you have a small creek running past your site if you get in early enough.

Cheers
Kate

ps: do you have any photo's of your set up.
thenewme
Boy Scout

Postby cokebottle » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:07 pm

Central Coast Campers wrote:I went there today (long weekend) and took some pics while the ticket machine was out of order and no park rangers were around ::() and took a few pics without ruining the little privacy the campers have and trying not to look like a pervert ::()

Thanks for the photo's, weather looked great! did you get to the beach?

I thought about going this weekend, then reconsidered because:

1) long weekend crowd

2) I had my 4 kids over for 2 nights (My 4 kids + 3 of fiancees = chaos)

Maybe next weekend? or the fortnight after that? we'll

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby Blue Bravo » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:23 pm

Hey thenewme - do you mean the small private camping area near the dam - if so I agree it's a great little spot :)
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby CCC » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:37 pm

thenewme wrote:CCC what do you use for camping eg, tent or camper and do you mostly camp in the Watagans,

Hi Kate,
I use a tent for camping. I have been to The Watagans mostly but have also camped at Glenbawn, Fingal Head, Port Macquarie (in a hidden rest area :lol: ), Black Rock a few metres away from a secluded beach and Sawtell. .... still trying to REALLY get away.

I will dig out the pics when I locate them :grin: Would love to see your photos of your set up too
Last edited by CCC on Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:41 pm

Central Coast Campers wrote:
thenewme wrote:CCC what do you use for camping eg, tent or camper and do you mostly camp in the Watagans,

Hi Kate,
I use a tent for camping. I have been to The Watagans mostly but have also camped at Glenbawn, Fingal Head, Port Macquarie (in a hidden rest area :lol: ), Black Rock a few metres away from a secluded beach and Sawtell. .... still trying to REALLY get away.

I will dig out the pics when I locate them :grin: Would love to see your set up too

Was that the Sawtel Caravan Park?

I spent two weeks there a couple of years ago and loved it.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby CCC » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:58 pm

yep, it sure was back in 1990. after the first night they told us they forgot to tell us the noise usually ceases after 9ish pm ::() 8)
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Our family camping trip to the Freemans campsite

Postby cokebottle » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:11 pm

Well we set off on Friday afternoon & I had aimed to be away by 2pm at the latest as the drive to the campground was approx 2 1/2 hrs, we had to be there by 6pm & I did not want to setup the tent in the dark.

Ended up getting away at about 3pm after discovering we did not have enough room in the car & had to take two cars, then after getting stuck in roadwork on the motorway we got there at about 5:30pm with the sun almost gone.

No probs though, got setup & had dinner & turned in for the night.

Next morning (Saturday) we headed off to the beach & seen some kids walking down a track off the campsite & I asked them if it was a quick way to get to the beach & they said "yes it was" then one of the kids, a girl about 6 said "watch out if you go up the end of the beach, there are naked people there" I replied "that's alright, that's what we are here for" the look on her face was priceless :lol:

It turned out the "shortcut" was a dead-end as they had closed it for regeneration, so we ended up spending 1/2 an hour instead of 15 mins to get to the beach :oops: :oops: :oops:

We spent half of the day on the beach, , we had a hard time keeping my fiancees 7 yr old son's broken arm in plaster dry, (he broke it last Monday playing indoor soccer) we let him play in the rock pools & wade in the shallow end of the lagoon but it still got a bit wet, the next day I used almost a whole roll of glad wrap to splash proof it :wink:

Quite a lot of people there as it was a very hot day, one thing that did spoil it was that there was a lot of cigarette butts around as well as people nearby us smoking :?

The next morning (Sunday) myself & my fiancees 10 yr old daughter hit the beach at about 5:30am to watch the sunrise, it was very cloudy, but we did get a few good pictures, even a frog we found near a spring within spitting distance of the rocks with huge waves crashing over

Then after we went for a swim in the lagoon we went back to camp for breakfast, everyone else was awake so we all headed to the beach, we played in the lagoon with a surf board, taking turns to pull each other around most of the day.

We left the beach at about 3pm & decided to head into The Entrance for lunch, as the wind was picking up a bit I decided to weight the tent down with the gas bottle on one side & the esky on the other.

On the way back to the campsite we noticed the wind was very strong, the wind was howling over the bridge at The Entrance & it sounded like a plane taking off :shock: pulled into the campsite & saw a few tents fallen over, but ours appeared ok with only one peg out...........

Then when I opened the flap I discovered beetroot juice everywhere :oops: :oops:

The esky had flipped over & a unsealed tin had tipped all through the tent, on the airbeds, on a sleeping bag etc

We got it all cleaned up when it was just getting dark & guess what happened then.......

It started to rain I grabbed some tinned food just in case we were stuck all night & we crawled into the tent & played cards till about 7pm when the wind & rain stopped so we could cook dinner outside

We all had such a fantastic camping trip & my fiancee can't wait until we do it again, it was the first time in her life that she had ever gone camping & even with the beetroot incident she was not perturbed.

We had one other incident happen on the way home, we left at about 5:30pm for the 2 1/2 hr trip home, got stuck in traffic again :roll: then had dinner at McDonald's at about 8pm with still an hours drive ahead of us, then I got a flat tyre :oops: :oops:
had to unpack the contents of the boot onto the footpath :roll:

We ended up getting home close to 9:30pm

But it was a great adventure :?#

My verdict on the campsite........

Well, we ended up with the smallest site, number 26 & it was lucky we only had a small 6 person dome tent as anything bigger would simply have not fitted, I did mention to the ranger who came around & he apoligised & said that as it had only just been reopened they have not had a chance to estimate sizes of each site.

He went on to say that before the renovations our site had been one of the bigger ones.

There was a group of surfers in a bus camped there & they did get a bit roudy, with music & noise til about 9:30, the ranger asked us on Sunday if there had been any trouble & we said not really, but he said in future to note number plates of offending parties so the NPWS could warn them etc

I think maybe in a few years time once the new trees are established it will be a lot better, at the moment it is very open, but not too bad really.

I would camp there again, I thought it was fairly good for kids as there was heaps out riding their bikes etc.

My fiancee & her 3 kids can't wait till they go camping again, just next time we will not be taking beetroot ::() :lol:

:booty :booty :booty :booty I rate it 4 bum waddles :***

Michael
Last edited by cokebottle on Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Re: Our family camping trip to the Freemans campsite

Postby thenewme » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:13 pm

Hi Cokebottle,

Love your sunrise, unless you are camping in the park you don't get to see the sunrise, the gates to the park don't open until 6am, you were also lucky with the weather, not too hot.

Thin you got the only site in the place with a tree, I looking at the campsite you camped on thinking it had to be one of the best site because of the shade from the tree, even if it was limited.

Cheers
thenewme
Boy Scout

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Tips and Locations