Great Ocean Road & Tassie camping spots

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Great Ocean Road & Tassie camping spots

Postby garbage » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:35 pm

Starting to make plans for a big drive in Feb next year and would appreciate comments and recommendations on camping locations in the following spots:

Point Hicks VIC
Healesville VIC
Lorne VIC
Port Campbell VIC
Freycinet National Park TAS
Cradle Mountain National Park TAS

Ideally, close to the beach and with flush toilets but doesn't have to be powered.
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby garbage » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:24 pm

SURELY someone has been to these places?
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby mytribe » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:31 pm

I've been to Lorne, Port Campbell and Healesville but not for camping(lived/live too close for camping) sorry.
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby Fonty » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:42 pm

lol I'm the same. I've been to Lorne and Port Campbell a few times but never camping. I've lived in Healesville and there is at least one caravan park there of average reputation, and I know of no particularly isolated spots for bush camping in the area at all.

There is a nice caravan park in Marysville though which isn't too far past Healesville. Marysville is a great place to stay with a fantastic bakery, icy mountain stream running through it and sporty an awesome waterfall with both short and long walks all around. Depending on the season too you can drive up the mountain and enjoy a bit of snow for walking and tobogganing for the kids.

I haven't been camping in Tassie yet but a friend says Freycinet has plenty of good camping areas which you have to pay for as it is a National Park. There is also a turn off on the left before you get to the national park where you will find beach camping areas also.

Here is a URL for the Tassie parks:

http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/recreation/ ... mping.html

Cheers,

Andrew.
Image Truth is often painful, but ignorance is never bliss.
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Loved Point Hicks

Postby geekcampgirl » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:53 pm

Hi,

We camped at Point Hicks a couple of years ago in May. It was cold and windy, and beautiful.

It is obviously very popular in summer and the layout of the camping areas showed that. There were one other couple camping when we were there.

Lovely shaded places to pitch the tent, out of the wind as well. Some great walks in the area and along the beach. Have to be self sufficient as the trek back to the highway is longer than you think it will be. For us that was part of the magic.

It is one of the best places that we have 'discovered' for ourselves and I would love to go back there.
geekcampgirl
Camping King

Postby garbage » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:37 pm

Thanks for the info on Point Hicks. How long a hike was it to the camping area? Are there also any drive-in sites in the area?
garbage
Camping Veteran

Memories get hazy

Postby geekcampgirl » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:09 pm

From memory, it was about 45 -50kms from the highway to the camping grounds. We knew that we were low on supplies and thought that we would only stay one night. As it turned out, the road was very slow and took an hour or so to get to the coast.

The camping is at the end of the road. There is nowhere else to go.

I'm a tent person myself, so am not sure what you mean by drive in site. If you mean to get a caravan in easily, I am sure you would be able to. Some of the sites were fenced off in the usual National Parks manner, but in other places there was certainly enough space to turn around when towing something.
geekcampgirl
Camping King

Postby garbage » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:14 pm

Thanks for that - I misinterpreted your original post when you mentioned 'trek', so yeah, all I meant was being able to drive to the camping spot. Don't like the idea of carrying a 20kg tent for 45-50 kms ;)
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby geekcampgirl » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:35 pm

Oh no, you're right - paradise that ain't!!

When I said that we were low on supplies, it meant that we just had to 'ration' stuff out a bit. It was so lovely there that we decided to stay for two nights (and at that time of year there were no rangers to collect fees, either!)

Luckily we had a cask of red and were able to stay that extra night!!

Had a possum hide in the boot of the car overnight. Found him in the morning and he had helped himself to the stale bread!
geekcampgirl
Camping King

Postby bennyballbag » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:58 am

if your interested in camping there is a free campsite past lorne that i got to called stevensons falls its in forest.
bennyballbag
Boy Scout

Postby Tracy02 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:51 pm

I camped in Freycinet National Park in March 07. It was pretty quiet in the camping area at that time however, I have read that it gets very busy in summer and that you should book ahead.
This was my favourite place to camp in TAS. The camping spots are right behind the bay and each seemed to have their own walkways to the beach. There are some more open spots or others further in the trees. Most are far away from others to give enough privacy. The amenities were very clean with cold water showers.
We arrived after hours so just pitched our tent and then fixed up the payment the next day.
The walks in the area are great with the highlight being Wineglass Bay. It was also close enough to Bicheno to the north to spend an evening watching penguins.
Tracy02

Postby garbage » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:09 pm

Thanks Tracy. I entered the ballot for a camping spot in Feb 08 and just found out today that I managed to snare a spot at Richardsons Beach. Was that the spot you stayed at? Can't wait to get there!
garbage
Camping Veteran

Great Ocean Road

Postby kayceebee » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:17 pm

Hi, ive camped at Apollo Bay along the great ocean road. not that far from Lorne. great caravan park down there called Morengo Caravan Park. Next to the beach and about a 4 min drive to shops. I loved it.
The caravan park owners are really helpful and friendly too. i go there every year for the Footy Grand Final Weekend.
Cant live without my dog :)
kayceebee

Return to Camping Tips and Locations