camping food?

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

camping food?

Postby skip » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:34 pm

hey iam going over to morton in a bit for 4 nites and 5 days, its the longest stay i usally go for 2 nites. i was wondering what every one takes to eat for dinner lunch and brecky. if you have any ideas pls tell me. thanks.
skip
Captain Camping

Postby Komodo » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:23 pm

how many people?
Base camp? or hiking / on the move every day
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby skip » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:28 pm

opps sorry i should have given more info just one person itll be a boys weekend with fishing 4wding and a of corse the cold refeshments. itll all be at the base camp .
skip
Captain Camping

Postby Troyk » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:43 pm

Skip, We vacuum pack our food such as meat, and then freeze it and put it into our icebox, with a third ice (frozen 3L milk bottles), and we have found still going strong after a week.

Our back up meal, when things go wrong, consists of mixing a large can of Leggos' Spaghetto Sauce, a tin of italian style kidney beans, a tin of italian style diced tomatoes, simmered for 10 minutes etc and served with pasta. All the ingreients are non perishable.

Anyhow considering its a boys weekend, wont you be justing taking baked beans and sausages? :) And of course you can eat all those fish you catch.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby jakko2002 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:57 pm

we take a few of those pasta packets. you can usually buy them for bout a dollar each, them just put in a pot on the stove, come up a treat. as for meat if u have an ice box the meat will last for 3 or 4 days before you need more ice.
Cheers
If you don't have fun camping, its your own fault!!
jakko2002
Boy Scout

Postby Kramer » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:28 pm

I do the same as troyk, but I have a fridge to store it in, we were eating the same meat which took about a week or so to defrost 4 weeks later just kept cold by the fridge when vacuum packed. For a few days it is not a worry some tins of food as well as some packet pasta with the UHT milk if needed and some bread and you will never go hungry :armsup
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Blue Bravo » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:43 pm

We also have a fridge and take frozen meats. Also carry cans for quick meals or just in case - usually something like Tom Piper etc which isn't bad on toast :)
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby stevo. » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:21 pm

Troyk wrote:Anyhow considering its a boys weekend, wont you be justing taking baked beans and sausages? :) And of course you can eat all those fish you catch.

that's what i'd be doing, except, don't worry about the baked beans, so you can fit more beer in, and maybe a bottle of bourbon for the crazy night.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby hiho » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:31 pm

some things we take camping are hot dogs, soup, spuds to in foil , can spag, garlic bread rolls heated in foil on fire all easy plenty more
hiho

Cook once, eat twice!!!!

Postby Outdoor Adventurers! » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:30 pm

Hi Everyone, long time reader, first time poster!!! :grin: In regards to camp food, we always cook a meal that we can reuse the following night. (Who wants to cook every night when on holidays???) For example, cook up lots of lamb chops & salad for the 1st night, then with the left over lamb chops, chop them up & use in souvlakis for the next nights tea!! (Minimal effort!!!) Also, cook up some spaghetti bol, make lots of sauce - there's one dinner, then for the following night, baked spuds with the leftover bol sauce & cheese....yum!!!!!!! This also saves having to worry about keeping lots of un-cooked meat cold!!!
Outdoor Adventurers!

Re: Cook once, eat twice!!!!

Postby Derek Bullock » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:36 pm

Outdoor Adventurers! wrote:Hi Everyone, long time reader, first time poster!!! :grin: In regards to camp food, we always cook a meal that we can reuse the following night. (Who wants to cook every night when on holidays???) For example, cook up lots of lamb chops & salad for the 1st night, then with the left over lamb chops, chop them up & use in souvlakis for the next nights tea!! (Minimal effort!!!) Also, cook up some spaghetti bol, make lots of sauce - there's one dinner, then for the following night, baked spuds with the leftover bol sauce & cheese....yum!!!!!!! This also saves having to worry about keeping lots of un-cooked meat cold!!!

Hi and welcome to the site. Some good ideas there.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby mytribe » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:39 pm

Wow some of you go all out on your meals whilst out camping. For us it's just basic barby and sangers :***
Me,DH and 6 freeloading midgets..plus the furry animals
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:13 pm

Brekky - Eggs and burnt bacon on burnt bread - with beer to wash it down
Lunch - Burnt snags - with beer to wash it down
Dinner - Burnt steak - with beer to wash it down

Damn I can't wait to go camping :armsup :lol:

I usually mix it up though with some pasta for tea. Stir through sauces are great and easy. Leggos or Dolmio, and Latina ravioli.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Fonty » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:11 pm

We are vegans and follow natural hygeine principals at least mornings so we only have fruit for breakfast. To this end it's easy to bring fresh fruit and/or wiz some melon and strawberries up in the blender and bring that in an esky for two or three morning's worth of breakfasts.
Some bread, pita bread or mountain bread for sandwiches and wraps. As well as fresh fillings which will go in a second esky. If you don't mind next day toasted sandwiches I do that sometimes for the kids, soy cheese and baked beans and soy cheese and spaghetti. Wrapped in foil they can be reheated in coals as well for a hot lunch.
I've done the potato in foil thing too, it's nice to leave them in cooling coals after dinner or just before bed when you're letting the fire die down, then fish them out in the morning before you relight it and have them for lunch with toppings. For dinners we also use garlic bread in the coals and fry up burgers and veggie sausages too. I'm all for easy stuff, so cooking at home and then reheating things like vegan quiches and pies etc appeals to me a lot more than cooking up a four courses meal in the field.
I have tried dampers and stuff though, they are fun so long as it's kept simple. And everything tastes better cooked over an open fire with nothing around you but a backpack full of gear and trees, that's for sure. :)
Image Truth is often painful, but ignorance is never bliss.
Fonty
Camping Veteran

Postby CCC » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:12 pm

Ozzycamperboy wrote:Brekky - Eggs and burnt bacon on burnt bread - with beer to wash it down
Lunch - Burnt snags - with beer to wash it down
Dinner - Burnt steak - with beer to wash it down

:shock: ::() :shock: you have what for breakfast :?: :?: :?:

burnt bread ? LMAO why arent the eggs burnt ?
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations